Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

93MPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I just lost my iPhone... Is there a way I can track it?

btw I do NOT have a Mobile Me account...

93MPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
will it sill work if I setup mobile me right now without having my phone on me?

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
I just lost my iPhone... Is there a way I can track it?

btw I do NOT have a Mobile Me account...

You could always try calling your phone and see if maybe somebody found it. Of course it is more likely that whoever found it, if it was found, has probably stolen it, but hey it's always worth a shot. Maybe you will get lucky and a person will answer and return your phone. Always worth a shot. Failing that call AT&T.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Refresh the AT&T usage page and see if any activity has been made. Once you shut down the sim card, chances of recovery is slim to none.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
MobileMe is totally worth the $70/year. I get push email, calendars, email aliases, iDisk, 200gb transfer/mo hosting for my website (up to the size of my iDisk), password protected downloads for my clients, image galleries synced to my iPhone, contacts sync, bookmark sync, and Find my iPhone for only $5.83 per month. I seriously don't know why more people don't buy it. Sure, it isn't always perfect, but for what you do get its a hell of a deal. My primary complaint is iDisk speed, but whatever. Find my iPhone has come in handy for when I lose my iPhone on vibrate around the house. The blaring sonar sound makes it easy to find. Hopefully I never have to use it to find a truly lost device.

You should try sending a text to the device offering a $50 reward or something to make it worth their while. Perhaps they still have some semblance of a conscience and $50 will push them back into the moral range as they still get $50 and won't feel bad about it any more.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
MobileMe is totally worth the $70/year. I get push email, calendars, email aliases, iDisk, 200gb transfer/mo hosting for my website (up to the size of my iDisk), password protected downloads for my clients, image galleries synced to my iPhone, contacts sync, bookmark sync, and Find my iPhone for only $5.83 per month.
Reasons why:
  • Push Email - Free via Google
  • Calendars - Free via Google
  • Email Aliases - Free via Google
  • iDisk and 200gb transfer/mo - Several dedicated servers without cap for cheaper price.
  • Password protected downloads - Easy to setup via dedicated servers.
  • Various sync - Free via Google.
So just about everything is free except find my iPhone, and if I need to use server hosting, I wouldn't go through MobileMe. This is why most people don't sign up for it.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Just a fyi

You can find MobileMe accts much cheaper on eBay just be careful there legit. Mine was about $20 but only 5gb storage which is fine for me,

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Reasons why:
  • Push Email - Free via Google
  • Calendars - Free via Google
  • Email Aliases - Free via Google
  • iDisk and 200gb transfer/mo - Several dedicated servers without cap for cheaper price.
  • Password protected downloads - Easy to setup via dedicated servers.
  • Various sync - Free via Google.
So just about everything is free except find my iPhone, and if I need to use server hosting, I wouldn't go through MobileMe. This is why most people don't sign up for it.

And finding your phone and protecting the data isn't worth $50-70/year?:)

Other similar to iDisk alone cost more. "Dedicated servers"...I am no techie so I don't have that type of access. MobileMe just make it easy for me to access my info, host my site, find my phone etc for about $5 per month.

To each his own.:)

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
You can find MobileMe accts much cheaper on eBay just be careful there legit. Mine was about $20 but only 5gb storage which is fine for me,

right now you can get one for $49 a year on eBay either new or renewal. That's 50% of the Apple price!:D

only for those who are interested.

ps. I am not the seller. I just bought one for renewal.

throwbookatface

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
And finding your phone and protecting the data isn't worth $50-70/year?:)

Other similar to iDisk alone cost more. "Dedicated servers"...I am no techie so I don't have that type of access. MobileMe just make it easy for me to access my info, host my site, find my phone etc for about $5 per month.

To each his own.:)

I'd think it's worth it. Especially if you use your phone for business and have data to protect. Considering a new phone runs you $200-$500 (plus the added cost/commitment of refreshing your contract), it's the cheaper option.

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
If the phone is part of a family plan but is not the main line in that family plan then you can try AT&T's family map feature. There's a list of catches (phone must be powered on, have GPS enabled, have signal and be on the AT&T network) for it to work, and even if it does work it may only get you to within 50-60 feet of the phone, but it's about the only chance you have when you're starting after the phone is already gone.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I'd think it's worth it. Especially if you use your phone for business and have data to protect. Considering a new phone runs you $200-$500 (plus the added cost/commitment of refreshing your contract), it's the cheaper option.
Find an iPhone, remove sim card. Money spent on MobileMe, wasted.

MobileMe is only good at finding a phone lost in some remote location. If the person who found the phone has intention to return it, he/she would simply pick up the call you make and arrange to return the phone. If not, above method would simply prevent MobileMe to do nothing.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
You can't track it. Hope this is a lesson learned.

$99 (annual) Mobile Me service, could have saved you $99 / $199 / $299 of the price for your lost iPhone.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008

MobileMe is only good at finding a phone lost in some remote location. If the person who found the phone has intention to return it, he/she would simply pick up the call you make and arrange to return the phone. If not, above method would simply prevent MobileMe to do nothing.

True, but most criminals are stupid. That's why there have been numerous cases of people getting busted by Find My iPhone.

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008

Most of the time, the phone is misplaced/forgotten and not stolen.

I wouldn't say $ spent on MobileMe is wasted. You get pretty good service. Just hosting a website alone will cost you that much over a year.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Most of the time, the phone is misplaced/forgotten and not stolen.

I wouldn't say $ spent on MobileMe is wasted. You get pretty good service. Just hosting a website alone will cost you that much over a year.

I dont think going back and forth w/ that dude CocoaPuffs is going to do anything. He's obviously sure in his opinions/beliefs. Let him use his free stuff. You could say at this point MobileMe spit diamonds out at you and CocoaPuffs would say there's something that does that free....no sense arguing with those that are 'thick'. Enjoy your mobile me, no need to defend YOUR purchase to him, let him set up his servers and vnc's, and all that, you and I will just drag and drop to iDisk:)

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
I dont think going back and forth w/ that dude CocoaPuffs is going to do anything. He's obviously sure in his opinions/beliefs. Let him use his free stuff. You could say at this point MobileMe spit diamonds out at you and CocoaPuffs would say there's something that does that free....no sense arguing with those that are 'thick'. Enjoy your mobile me, no need to defend YOUR purchase to him, let him set up his servers and vnc's, and all that, you and I will just drag and drop to iDisk:)
:)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
My fault for sharing the opinion contrary to what you and others only want to hear. What I have posted are facts of opposing view, instead of unnecessary trolling comment such as yours.

However, it's comments like yours make users like myself stop posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.