Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093706-tony_fadell.jpg

The New York Times reports that Tony Fadell, who has variously been known as the father, grandfather, and godfather of the iPod, has severed his final ties with Apple, stepping down from his position as special advisor to CEO Steve Jobs. Fadell had previously served as senior vice president of the iPod division, but resigned in November 2008 for personal reasons. He did, however, remain on Apple's payroll in an advisory capacity.
Though Mr. Jobs gets the lion's share of credit for innovation at Apple, Mr. Fadell played a key role in the company's resurgence. He first envisioned a hard-drive-based digital music player in the 1990s and brought the idea to Seattle-based Real Networks, where he reportedly clashed with Real's chief executive, Rob Glaser, and left after six weeks.

Mr. Fadell then approached Apple in 2001, and history was made.
Upon stepping down from his executive role, Fadell was replaced by IBM chip designer Mark Papermaster. Papermaster's appointment was held up, however, by a lawsuit filed by IBM regarding a claimed violation of his employment contract by departing to work for a competitor. The situation was eventually resolved, and Papermaster began work in April 2009.

For his part, Fadell will reportedly be shifting focus to green technology, where he plans to advise companies and work with private investments.

Article Link: iPod 'Godfather' Tony Fadell Steps Down as Apple Advisor

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
It the title correct?

Was this guy from England?

I'd just like to point out that the iPod was invented by someone in England. Apple have even asked him to appear in court hearings to prove crucial information which clearly states he was the original inventor and that Apple bought the patents, when he couldn't raise the the 70,000 required.

I think the title of this article is misleading if its not this man.

Thanks.

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Is it hard to believe that more than one person was instrumental in the development of the iPod?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Green technologies, I assume this means Eco friendly design and peoducts. Good for him, I'm very pleased to read more about electronics and computer companies taking the innitiative to design and produce systems and devices that will not contribute to ewaste. Apple has set a fine standard that going green doesn't mean going red. I wonder if this guy had anything to do with apples decision in using more aluminum in leiu of plastic as well as mercury and arsenic free materials. For the moment, the average users needs are met with reagrds to processor speeds, etc. So until the day comes when more powerful systems may be needed, focusing on making current systems more energy and material conscious is an excellent step in the right direction and may lead other companies to follow suit. Kudos.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

I remember in 1987 thinking about computers and CD's (I had the first portable CD player in school) and wondering how I could transfer my music to a microchip. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to follow through on it

s.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Fadells role in the Apple ecosystem is finally over.

His contribution to Apple will always live on through the iPod products

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom

I'd just like to point out that the iPod was invented by someone in England. Apple have even asked him to appear in court hearings to prove crucial information which clearly states he was the original inventor and that Apple bought the patents, when he couldn't raise the the 70,000 required.

I think the title of this article is misleading if its not this man.

Thanks.

Sorry no your very misinformed. Tony Approached Apple with the portable music player idea after Philips turned him down. Jonathan Ive came up with the revolutionary design he's English thats about all thats right :p

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
If Fadell is the godfather of the iPod, what does that make Jon Rubinstein?

Rubinstein left Apple, allegedly just hung out on a beach and then Palm approached him to do the Pre. I think that track record speaks for itself.

Either way, nice career shift Fadell. Should be fun to see who you work with this time next year. That is, if you are working at all.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

I'd just like to point out that the iPod was invented by someone in England.

The iPod was not invented. The concept of a digital music player was invented by who I think you are trying to refer to (and perhaps not clearly remember it was to negative some patents, not buy them up. His idea was back in the walkman era when nobody had anything like nor the practical tech to implement it mass market. ) Clearly. the iPod was not even the first commercial MP3 player on the market.

That isn't the notion of an iPod+Software(eventually iTunes)+ecosystem to hook them together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.