Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dethklok7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
At first I thought it was just me but my phone will randomly vibrate, like as if I just got a text message but when I check my phone it will have no new notifications. It has been happening about 3 times a day and at first I thought it was just me but I'm sure it isn't at this point. My phone is always on vibrate so I don't know if it does the same when it isnt. Has this happened to anyone else?

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Hi

Was reading your post the other day and i could not get it out of my head , today i found the reason why the iphone vibrates randomly ...

Every time my phone changes from edge to 3G or the other way around it vibrates ...

Hope this helps..... means our iphones are ok :D

Saludos

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Hi

Was reading your post the other day and i could not get it out of my head , today i found the reason why the iphone vibrates randomly ...

Every time my phone changes from edge to 3G or the other way around it vibrates ...

Saludos

I have been getting these random buzzes too. I will check to see if this is the problem...

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Hi

Saludos

This hasn't happened to me and I've watched the phone switch between 3G and EDGE.

Have any of you with this problem seen the display when it happens or right afterward? My guess is that the silent switch is a little flaky and it is randomly popping in and out of silent mode. The display would show that, though.

patarick

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
There is a pretty simple answer for your vibrations. It's known as Phantom Vibration Syndrome. Your brain subconsciously expects your phone to vibrate from phone calls and messages, and sometimes makes you think the phone is vibrating even though it never does. Have you ever seen the phone vibrate randomly without a call or msg while the phone was sitting on a table or something? Probably not. I know that I've personally experienced these weird vibrations dozens of times myself.

Check out this link to USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-06-12-cellphones_N.htm

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Mine does it to but I have an EDGE (first gen.) phone. not the 3G, and its not my mind because i don't expect phone calls/txt mssgs..i really don't lol.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
There is a pretty simple answer for your vibrations. It's known as Phantom Vibration Syndrome. Your brain subconsciously expects your phone to vibrate from phone calls and messages, and sometimes makes you think the phone is vibrating even though it never does. Have you ever seen the phone vibrate randomly without a call or msg while the phone was sitting on a table or something? Probably not. I know that I've personally experienced these weird vibrations dozens of times myself.

Sometimes I feel the phone vibrate in my pocket without any thing occuring that would make it happen. Sometimes the phone isn't even in my pocket when I feel it. I don't think it is a matter of expecting a message of phone call. It is probably just a random signal on the nervous system. Kind of like a twitch but of a remembered stimuli.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
My phone (1st gen) does this; in my case it is just a case of the "silent" switch wearing out. I switch to vibrate a few times a day and have done so since I got the phone back in June 07. Sometimes when I switch to "vibrate" now, it vibrates once to confirm but then vibrates a few more times in a fairly random pattern as if the switch thinks it is still trying to engage, and then may vibrate a few more times during the day after that for no reason (no e-mail, no SMS).

I know it has to do with the switch going bad because sometimes flipping the switch to vibrate doesn't actually effectuate the switch, so I'm still on "sound", or sometimes, after flipping the switch, I'll see the "bell" and "no bell" symbol flash back and forth on the screen, indicating the phone thinks its being switched back and forth between "sound" and "vibrate" even though the switch is stationary.

I'm well out of warranty, so I'm just living with it.

M

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY

+1 happens to me all the time

maladroit

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2006
Happens to me too, but I've started realizing it's the silent switch. If you just kinda nudge it right like a pocket would, this happens occasionally.

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
this has happened to me too, sitting on the desk, silent switch clearly not activated.

probably the same thing that causes random text alerts w/ no text message there, as has been discussed.

dethklok7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008

I thought thats what it was at first also. I've known about that syndrome for years but sometimes my phone will be sitting on my desk and it'll do that. Also it can't be the phone switching from 3g to edge since i have the first generation. i cant really seem to pin point it to anything. its been happening less frequently but still happens probably once a day.

KristenM

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
I had the same issue with my 1G phone. I watched it one day while it vibrated in my hand and it was the silencer/ringer turning on and off even though I wasn't touching anywhere near the button. Shortly after the button stopped working completely. I just brought it to the genius bar last Friday, showed the guy, and walked out with a new phone.

dethklok7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I had the same issue with my 1G phone. I watched it one day while it vibrated in my hand and it was the silencer/ringer turning on and off even though I wasn't touching anywhere near the button. Shortly after the button stopped working completely. I just brought it to the genius bar last Friday, showed the guy, and walked out with a new phone.

Was your phone still under warrentee?

KristenM

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Was your phone still under warrentee?

Yeah, it's 8 months old. Though he couldn't have checked on that until he went to type in the exchange info. He never even asked how long I have had it, just listened to what I told him and said "yep, that's a problem, we'll get you a new one" and reached behind him and started setting up the new one. He was even nice enough to pull my screen protector off my old one :)
It can't hurt to try even if you are out of warranty, especially since it seems to be a semi-common problem.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Sorry to bring back this very old thread, but my phone is now doing the same. I know it's not the phantom vibrate syndrome because I felt it vibrate in my hand just now while using it. No mew texts, no missed calls, no new e-mails.

doraj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
phone vibrating issues

So my phone has an issue and i'm wondering if anyone has had something similar happen to them.
This started a few days ago, everytime I answer my phone or complete a call my phone vibrates. I think it's strange because it's never happened before. I just upgraded to 3.1.2 on 2g(first gen) iphone i'm not sure if this is one of apples tricks or if there is something wrong.
Any help would be appreciated because the vibrating in my ear is annoying.

Tourn

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
Ok. Experiment for u all Set phone on silent with vibrate active. place ur thumb and finger on the front and back of ur phone in the top left corner. Now squeeze. Somehow it activates the phone in loud mode and realeasing will default it back to silent. It's hitting the switch inside the phone somehow. Phantom vibration lol!

dontlookback82

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
I am having the exact same problem when I squeeze my phone. I am going to ring up my insurance company and put it through as a fault, hopefully they'll replace my phone. Worth a try anyway!

gobyfish04

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Ok. Experiment for u all Set phone on silent with vibrate active. place ur thumb and finger on the front and back of ur phone in the top left corner. Now squeeze. Somehow it activates the phone in loud mode and realeasing will default it back to silent. It's hitting the switch inside the phone somehow. Phantom vibration lol!

yup, squeezing anywhere near the top left corner set it off. Started about two days ago for me. My phone is only about 7 months old. going to ATT later today....

Zyvan

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
solution

my vibrate switch BROKE OFF, and my phone still vibrates randomly. so today I went and registered for mac forum. as soon as it said GO TO YOUR EMAIL TO ACTIVATE, my phone vibrated. I checked my email and I had 1 new email from macforum. I clicked on the link and sent me back to safari. as soon as I touched there I got another vibrate.

I got a vibrate everytime I got a new email. to turn it off, go to mail and then set to "FETCH". and fetch MANUALLY. so this time, it will only load emails when you open the email app. "PUSH" loads emails everytime the server detects you receive one.

hope this helps.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Only thing I can kind of suggest is that you're getting emails without knowing it.

My phone was vibrating randomly one day, and it turns out I was receiving emails.
I previously did not have edge (tmo) or any data service. Then I realized the vibrations were emails and I opened safari, went to google, made sure I was not on wifi, and it loaded.

Other than that, I can't suggest much.
Is it really a big issue if it's 3 times a day? It could be a software thing, if you are 100% certain you're not triggering the switch.
But I'm not sure it'd be worth a restore..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.