Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

030835-netflix.jpg

Due to the timing of the news on April 1st, there had been some doubts about the truthfulness news that Netflix would be offering a free app that allowed streaming movies to the iPad.

The app is now live in the App Store and can be accessed directly via this link (iTunes). The app is free and the description is as follows:
Get Netflix on your iPad. Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix.
- Watch as often as you want
- It’s part of your Netflix unlimited membership
- Resume watching where you left off on your TV or computer
- Browse movies and manage your Queue right from your iPad
Not a Netflix member? Start your FREE trial today.

Article Link: Netflix for iPad App Now Available in App Store

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Sweet! I had actually canceled my flix account and subscribed to some premium movie channels instead... but this is gonna cause me to rethink my decision... Just wonder if I can still get a 'we want you back' deal... :D

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
MAKE IT SATURDAY MAKE IT SATURDAY!!

MAN. I'll never even have to get out of bed now to watch stuff. WOOHOO!

john7jr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
I was killing myself trying to find an iPad app to manage my Netflix DVD queue... then I realized I already have one. It's called a Web Browser. The bigger screen is really going to make most app versions of web services irrelevant. Netflix Queue and Facebook come to mind. Do we need native versions of web apps anymore?

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Wonder what happens when you use ipad on netflix.com and just try to stream content sans app?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This is what the iPad will be great for: content consumption. It was made for Netflix, magazines, books, and surfing. It's a good thing this is in place for the launch.

klittle32

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Will it stream over 3g or is it wifi only?

Either way, this is awesome news.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This completes my plan for the iPad bathroom mount that will be on the wall across from the toilet.

WOOHOO!

I would add the cool thing with this is power and resource wise I suspect you will get a superior streaming experience with Netflix on the iPad than you will get on most notebooks.

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Wonder what happens when you use ipad on netflix.com and just try to stream content sans app?

Not much. The browser version uses the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in.

It would be kind of funny if Apple decided to support Silverlight and not Flash. Probably neither, of course, with HTML 5 around the [long] corner.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I'm interested in the streaming process they are using. Netflix uses VC-1 for all of their other streams (desktop, Roku, etc.), not h.264.

I'm guessing the tech behind it is THIS, but I want to know more :D

Holy crap this is great news.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
This is really amazing. While it is not the "killer" app, it goes a long way in adding a lot of value to both netflix and the iPad's value to the daily use of the device

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
However good this may be for iPad adoption it seems to be flying in the face of Apple's own iTunes plans I would have thought. Strange times but exciting none the less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.