Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatkelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
My iPhone was acting up so I backed it up and took it to the Apple Store. They promptly replaced it and told me not to restore it from the backup in iTunes. While I was certain I'd heard Apple/Mac's didn't get viruses, the Genius told me that whatever problem the iPhone had, may be embedded into the Contacts and restoring them may transfer the problem to my new phone. Sounds like a virus to me.
He said there's a way to retrieve the contacts from the PC without going through Itunes & if I do it this way, my virus program will filter out any "embedded problem." No, I did not backup my contacts to Outlook. I never needed them and just assumed they were being put there. HELP!! I no longer use a paper phone book--I had over 10 years of contacts in my iPhone and are somewhere on my PC. How can I get them on my new iPhone?

2nd question. How do I get all of my apps back, again, without restoring from prior backup? I tried to right click on my iPhone in iTunes and click restore purchases, but a funny thing happened...it transferred only one over??? I have at least 25 or 30.

I am VERY appreciative of all suggestions and consider myself to be of adequate computer experience. But, if you can, give me some step by step help.
THANKS.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So, you didn't use Outlook or Windows Address Book (WAB) to sync your contacts. Live and learn then. The only way to get them, since you gave the phone to Apple, is to get them from a backup. So, restore from a backup, then sync the contacts this time to either Outlook or WAB, then restore as new and sync the contacts back to the iPhone. This is your only choice. Don't rely on a backup in the future. Just saying'.

You're confused about getting apps back on the iPhone. You can't RESTORE apps to the iPhone. They're also not in the backup. They're synced. So, I'm guessing you meant that you transferred purchases. You can't transfer purchases from a new iPhone, since your apps are on the computer. Anyway, you'll need to sync these to the iPhone. If somehow, you don't have the apps on your computer, then you can only get them back by redownloading them. It'll be free, but a PITA. So, sync the apps, okay?

thatkelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
restore apps and contacts w/o itunes

YOU ARE MY SAVIOR! I hope this will work.
Do you ming giving me step by step instructions to:
" restore from a backup, then sync the contacts this time to either Outlook or WAB, then restore as new and sync the contacts back to the iPhone. "

How do I sync ONLY the apps? Step by step?????????????????????

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
YOU ARE MY SAVIOR! I hope this will work.
Do you ming giving me step by step instructions to:
" restore from a backup, then sync the contacts this time to either Outlook or WAB, then restore as new and sync the contacts back to the iPhone. "

How do I sync ONLY the apps? Step by step?????????????????????

I'm not sure what you're asking. I gave you step-by-step instructions. What more would you want??

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
While I was certain I'd heard Apple/Mac's didn't get viruses, the Genius told me that whatever problem the iPhone had, may be embedded into the Contacts and restoring them may transfer the problem to my new phone. Sounds like a virus to me.

Sounds like data corruption or a bug to me.

thatkelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
IDK. I guess it just confused me because you suggested that I restore from backup.........
If I do, then won't I be putting the embedded bug back to my iPhone?

I was thinking that perhaps you meant that I could get the contact data off of my computer (where ever it is actually saved), put it in Outlook and then sync with my iPhone.......i think the goal is to avoid restoring the bug to my new phone via restoring directly from backup.

Second, how do I "sync the apps"

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
IDK. I guess it just confused me because you suggested that I restore from backup.........
If I do, then won't I be putting the embedded bug back to my iPhone?

I was thinking that perhaps you meant that I could get the contact data off of my computer (where ever it is actually saved), put it in Outlook and then sync with my iPhone.......i think the goal is to avoid restoring the bug to my new phone via restoring directly from backup.

Second, how do I "sync the apps"

You're restoring from the backup, because right now you have nothing on your phone. It's the only way. Later you're going to restore and setup as new (not from the backup). But first you have to get your contacts and stuff onto the iPhone.

I assume you have the apps on this computer. So, when you get to the sync step, it'll sync your apps to the iPhone, if you select the Apps tab and what apps to sync. It's the second sync that is important though, since apps can only be synced.

FYI, you'll lose your game saves and app settings. They're in the backup.

Edit: Just noticed I already told you to sync the apps. Hopefully you understand now.

thatkelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I will try that! I hope it's that easy.

One question, though. if I restore, save/sync, and then restore as new, will the final restoring get rid of any virus/bug that could be embedded into the contacts? Don't wanna corrupt this new phone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I will try that! I hope it's that easy.

One question, though. if I restore, save/sync, and then restore as new, will the final restoring get rid of any virus/bug that could be embedded into the contacts? Don't wanna corrupt this new phone.

You're setting up as new in the final step. Your phone will be totally clean of the bug or whatever (but not a virus). There are no virii.

thatkelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
The light bulb just came on!
I do believe I got it.
Will try it out this evening.
THANKS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.