Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135821-gmail_ipad_300.jpg

Google today announced that it has rolled out a new iPad-formatted mobile interface for Gmail, building on the HTML5-based mobile format used for the iPhone to create a two-column interface like that used for Apple's Mail application on the iPad.
We're releasing an experimental user interface for the iPad built on the Gmail for mobile HTML5 web app that we launched last year for the iPhone and Android devices. Those devices have large screens compared to other phones, and tablets like the iPad give us even more room to innovate. To take advantage of the iPad's large display, we've created a two-pane view with your list of conversations on the left and messages to the right.
iPad users will be automatically presented with the new format when they navigate to gmail.com on the device.

Google has also taken the opportunity to promote its other contributions to the iPad, including the YouTube application originally found on the iPhone that has been redesigned for the iPad. The iPad's Maps application also takes advantage of such features as terrain view that are not available on the iPhone version of the application.

Finally, Google notes that it is providing a mix of desktop and mobile interfaces for its web-based services on the iPad, based on its determination of which interface "works best" with the device. Everything is currently experimental, however, and decisions and features are subject to change over time as Google continues to play with the iPad and users offer feedback on how to improve its offerings.

Article Link: Google Rolls Out iPad-Formatted Gmail

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
That's all well and good, but what's wrong with the Gmail interface on a full-blown browser? I guess it's not optimized for finger-size inputs (rather than the finesse of a cursor).

Molson

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
England
Well that's good news that Google is still supporting Apple. Maybe that coffee meeting the other day was fruitful after all.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
The iPad's Maps application also takes advantage of such features as Street View and terrain view that are not available on the iPhone version of the application.

I think someone got mistaken here - Street View is available on iPhone...

open maps and turn your iphone to landscape (subject to availability of streetview obviously)

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
The interface looks very nice, maybe we will see this move over to also computer, giving a more robust look and easier to navigate.

The Ipad looks to be a winner considering how much there is for it and how much there will be in the coming months. :cool:

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
wow, i dont think i will be able to sleep tonight, im so excited over my ipad finally getting here tomorrow

mattbailey

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Was gonna say... iPhone does have street view, have literally just been showing it off to my envious family :p

Good news though, am getting excited about the iPad. Bring forth the UK release!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Anyone else find it interesting that an article about one of Apple's main competitors saying they don't plan on doing anything with the iPad (Microsoft) is followed by an article about their other main competitor rolling out things for the iPad before launch (Google)???

While I don't always agree with Google's business tactics, I do appreciate their stance with their products and admire that they actually try to innovate rather that just copy.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Apple certainly prepared well for this product release.

It's not the hardware that needs to wow people to the same degree that it will be how many different awesome applications it will have. Apple really understood what will make tablets a success.

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
Just spoofed by user agent string in FireFox. Its pretty awesome! Only thing is the style of the selected email in the left pane is to light to be read. Probably meant to have a dark background in the iPad. Really like the interface.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
I think someone got mistaken here - Street View is available on iPhone...

open maps and turn your iphone to landscape (subject to availability of streetview obviously)

The iPhone does have street view.

Was gonna say... iPhone does have street view, have literally just been showing it off to my envious family :p

Good news though, am getting excited about the iPad. Bring forth the UK release!

googles post refers to the terrain view being new for the ipad version. i think the writer of this article just mixed it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.