Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xwingsct

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
OK. I feel so stupid right now. I'm pretty sure this has been answered 100 times already in here.
I connected the cable to my WS external LCD and I can't get it to fill up the whole screen. I normally set my screen to 1080X1050 under Vista. When I set that under my Macbook I only get small screen in the middle of my monitor.

Second question. I press F7 to get the picture to display on my monitor. When I close the macbook I lost the signal. Do I have to wait until the Macbook go into sleep mode before I can close it?

Thanks.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Make sure you don't have Mirroring on (see Display Preferences). With it switched off you can choose a different resolution for each screen in Display Preferences.

xwingsct

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Make sure you don't have Mirroring on (see Display Preferences). With it switched off you can choose a different resolution for each screen in Display Preferences.

OK. I unchecked mirroring display and all I got on my screen is the wall paper. No icons.

This is how I did it.
I boot the system up.
I press F7 once.
I get everything on my screen (But not filling up the whole screen)
I went into display and change the resolution to 1080X1050 to fit my monitor and uncheck mirroring display. After I did that I only get the wallpaper on my screen with no icons only mouse cursor and when I close the laptop I lost signal.

Did I do it right ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OK. I unchecked mirroring display and all I got on my screen is the wall paper. No icons.

This is how I did it.
I boot the system up.
I press F7 once.
I get everything on my screen (But not filling up the whole screen)
I went into display and change the resolution to 1080X1050 to fit my monitor and uncheck mirroring display. After I did that I only get the wallpaper on my screen with no icons only mouse cursor and when I close the laptop I lost signal.

Did I do it right ?

When you are not on mirroring mode the screens are independent. In the Display Preferences Window on the main screen (the one with the menu bar) you can set how the screens relate to each other. You should be able to move your mouse off the main screen via whichever side you set to the other screen. You can drag windows etc with it.

If you want the external screen to be the main screen then drag the little menu bar on the Display Preferences monitor setup to the other screen

xwingsct

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
When you are not on mirroring mode the screens are independent. In the Display Preferences Window on the main screen (the one with the menu bar) you can set how the screens relate to each other. You should be able to move your mouse off the main screen via whichever side you set to the other screen. You can drag windows etc with it.

If you want the external screen to be the main screen then drag the little menu bar on the Display Preferences monitor setup to the other screen

I finally got it to work. After I close the notebook. the screen went blank and I open the notebook up and press F7 again and everything shows on my monitor. That's strange I don't know if that's how it's done but it works for me this way.

thanks for all your help guys.

smallpot

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks ...

A big thanks to robbieduncan for the tip on how to switch the main focus to the external monitor!

LosX

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Similar issue external monitor only shows wallpaper

I had a similar issue but could not get the F7 key to do anything (on my macbook it is a "rewind" symbol so maybe this works on a different kind of mac)

The screen of my macbook simply doesn't work because it had a coke spilled on it so I couldn't go directly to sys prefs and make changes. I connected an external monitor and just got the wallpaper as described above. I finally was able to get it to work by hitting fn-option-F2 to get the system preferences for "syncmaster" and display to show up on the external monitor. I then chose the "arrangement" button and at the bottom of the window there is a check box that said "mirror displays". It was un-checked and I checked it and voila, all fixed.

So if you try all of the other advise in other posts and it doesn't work for you, you may want to give this method a shot. Good luck!

ellenm

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2010
I use my MBP closed with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it works fine. The mouse wakes the computer up and the external display comes on. Just an FYI.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
If you want to use the external screen with the MacBook shut, then you must use a wired mouse and keyboard. Close the MacBook and wait for it to go to sleep, then wake it with the mouse or the keyboard.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

I use the wireless keyboard and magic mouse and it wakes up my MBP by just hitting space.

I use my MBP closed with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it works fine. The mouse wakes the computer up and the external display comes on. Just an FYI.

My Magic mouse doesnt wake up my MBP but my old mighty mouse did. Weird

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I use my MBP closed with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it works fine.
Yeah. It says that in the article, doesn't it.
embarass.gif

OxWordBarber

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
I sometimes get the external monitor starting and not the MacBook screen. This works:

System Preferences > Displays. There's a check box for 'Show Displays in Menu Bar'. Check it.

Anytime only one screen comes on, click the display icon in the menu bar and click Detect Displays.

Bingo! They both work as normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.