Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Apple's iPad case is NOT dockable with the iPad Dock. You can use the 30-pin to USB cable with the case, but it can't be used with any dock that stands the iPad up without taking the case off first.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Is the case not for more external use? While the dock is obviously internal?

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
The case does have a built-in dock when you flap the cover around which is convenient. Using the dock however frees up more desk space. Taking it out of the case just to dock it can become a pain real fast

This is the same type of issue with iPhones and cases and I should have known better.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
doesn't the case have a built in stand? Seems like you wouldn't need the dock

Ditto. If you use it in landscape mode you should still be able to charge it with the cable and use it at the same time with the stand engaged.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple’s not the first source I’d ever think of for cases. Somehow, from the old iPod “holsters” to their various Mini/Nano accessories, they just don’t seem to be the best they can be.

I like the way it props up, but I think there’s room for third-party innovation. I want a case that props in portrait OR landscape, AND opens up on one edge for docking. And one that adds less bulk than Apple’s does.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Would you please comment on how easy it is to remove the iPad from the case. Does it snap on? Is this something you would want to do daily so you can use it naked, and then case it for travel, typing, stand?

Thanks

iBrod

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Scotland, UK
Possible iPad Case undockable solution

What I'm going to do is buy the :apple: iPad Case and the :apple: Wireless Keyboard to avoid the problem. And the Keyboard Dock and the Wireless Keyboard are the same price so, you aren't having to spend more money!! :)

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
the case is thin enough that I may just cut out the hole where the dock goes to the same witdth as the dock... it should work then... I noticed that the thickness of the case on the back of the iPad does not interfere with the back brace on the dock... the only thing keeping it from making the connection is the fused seam on the case.

Kenal0

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
the case is thin enough that I may just cut out the hole where the dock goes to the same witdth as the dock... it should work then... I noticed that the thickness of the case on the back of the iPad does not interfere with the back brace on the dock... the only thing keeping it from making the connection is the fused seam on the case.

Please post how this works if you do this. I think it is a good idea.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Are you people serious? Is this why there are so many warning labels on everything? Use your heads people.

Is this thread making anyone else think of Brawndo?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah sometimes it's not as obvious as people think it is. I didn't realize this until I put the iPad in the case.

I might go back for a neoprene sleeve. Good thing Apple has a 14-day no restock fee return policy. And I think the case is pretty crappy.

tobyringle

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Dock and Case

I kind of feel silly now for spending $30 on the dock. I like the case and will keep it. You won't find any case that will allow you to dock it with the case on. I never thought of just using the stand of the case while charging.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I thought they would both work together as well. I am probably going to return the dock, I can probably find some kind of generic stand and just route a normal iPod cable into the bottom.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
I'm returning the dock as well

I really like the case and am definitely keeping it

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Can someone take some pictures of the case? Can you fold it flat in the back? Not At tying angle.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have the case and dock. Like others said, I do not recommend purchasing both.

I will probably only use the case for traveling, so I can still use the dock at home.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
What I'm going to do is buy the :apple: iPad Case and the :apple: Wireless Keyboard to avoid the problem. And the Keyboard Dock and the Wireless Keyboard are the same price so, you aren't having to spend more money!! :)
He, are you also going to get one of those wireless power supplies announced last thursday?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.