Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Ummhh... Please be more specific. Do you want to completely wipe it? Or just an app that looks for unneeded files and deleted caches etc?

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
For cleaning up your mac, I recommend Clean My Mac (here, or here): Apart from cleaning temporary caches and log files, it slims Universal Binaries and trashes application's unneeded languages (which you choose).

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
I am looking for a free software to cleam my HD and free up some capacity, remove useless stuff, etc...

mbp84

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Daisydisk is a free app that will tell you what folders and files are taking up the most space on your HD. You can then review and delete as appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
CleanMyMac has been very problematic for many users. Search the forums. If you decide to use it, tread carefully.
I wouldn't touch CleanMyMac with a ten foot pole myself.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
CleanMyMac has been very problematic for many users. Search the forums. If you decide to use it, tread carefully. I wouldn't touch CleanMyMac with a ten foot pole myself.
Agreed! One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Do NOT use CleanMyMac. It ruined my OS X install. Whether it has improved since then, I have no idea, but I still wouldn't trust it.

I just don't bother with these HD cleaning tools. I find OS X sorta looks after itself, and the more you fill the HD, the less it seems to take with temporary files.

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
From what I've read 'round the net mac's pretty much take care of themselves and as far as space issues go, external drives are pretty cheap now.
As long as you know how to keep your browser cleaned down of all the chaff it picks up on the net, and providing your system is running o.k, I wouldn't have thought that any kind of maintenance program is really necessary.
Running Windows Vista used to require a weekly maintenance schedule to keep it running sweet (as sweet as it got, anyway)
I've had the macbook 4 months now and maintenance seems pretty non-existent and it runs fine (is that tempting fate?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.