Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I have an older apple Bluetooth keyboard(the big bulky one with clear plastic body) and I can't seem to get it working with my iPad. I use this keyboard with my imac and it works just fine. When I'm trying to add a bluetooth device my ipad pics up the keyboard but does not connect it. When I click on the keyboard to pair the two it keeps saying paring for some time, and then it says searching for new devices. Also another weird thing is when my wifi is on and I'm trying to pair my keyboard my wifi icon disappears, but if I go into settings it tells me I'm connected to my network.

Has anyone else successfully connected their older blutooth keyboard?

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Have you unpaired it from your iMac? You can't pair the same BlueTooth keyboard to two computers.

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Have you unpaired it from your iMac? You can't pair the same BlueTooth keyboard to two computers.

I flipped the switch on and off on the back of the keyboard bunch of times and removed the batteries. Thought that was enough?

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
It only works with the aluminium wireless keyboards.

How tippical for apple to do this. I know I can also use the aluminum keyboard with my imac but I really don't want to upgrade and spend even more money. Hopefully apple will change their their mind and include the support for older keyboards in the next update.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Well looks like I'll be buying another Apple BT keyboard. I already have one for my iMac and MBP. I don't want to unpair and pair a keyboard at home every time I go on the road with the iPad.

BTW the Incase Travel Kit Plus for the iPad looks sweet. It has a compartment for the Apple BT keyboard. Perfect for the road warrior. I doubt it will fit the Apple keyboard with built in dock.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Balls.... Do you have to unpair it from your iMac to have it work on the iPad?
I was hoping I could share it between the 2

So the apple Bluetooth key board is only good for 1 apple product at a time unless you unpair it everytime?

If that's the case this will be the first real "grrrr" I have with apple

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
I had a reply elsewhere that all Bluetooth devices are like this? Meaning that they can only be paired with 1 device at a time?..

If that's true then this bothers me much much less that I can't share my keyboard.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
I had a similar issue. My Mac mini kept pairing with the bt keyboard first so the iPad wouldn't connect. I turned off the mini and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.