Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMaxT32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I was very shocked to use iTunes to play my music. I thought you couldn't use two apps at the same time? Maybe I just missed that part.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It's a giant iPod touch. Why would this suprise you?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, that's why I hate it when people say the thing "can't multitask". It can, very easily. The limitation is, third-party developers (ie, anyone who isn't Apple) are not allowed to run their app in the background. Apple, however, does run their apps in the background - even Safari. You can be playing an iTunes song, open up Safari and set 5 or 6 web pages loading, then exit out and run some other app. Later, exit that app and open Safari, and you will find your 5 or 6 web pages loaded, and the iTunes song never stopped. Email also runs in the background at all times.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I've had iPhones since 1st gen, and today I have 4 3G's under my account. I learned something new about my iPhone last week, I just never bothered to check if it could.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Not only that, but if you are in the process of downloading anything you bought from iTunes or the AppStore, it will also run in the background while you access the other apps. The download will still continue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.