Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
My iPad keeps on dropping my WiFi connection all the time, and when i want to reconnect it will not. My iPhone has no connection issues..

Whats going on? Anyone else?

stankyfish

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
iPad dropping wifi

I had this problem a few times. It would drop the wifi connection, then try to reconnect and when it did it failed. Then it would attempt to rejoin and I had to reenter the wep key, after which it successfully connected.

I had to do this like three times, but haven't seen the problem since. I imagine after the first software update, this problem will magically go away. :D

SebZen

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
I don't have this issue, but I did notice that occasionally it would go from 3 bars to 1 bar for a few seconds and then back to 3 bars. Happens now and then but doesn't seem to cut the internet off

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Same here! In fact I've noticed that the wifi connection on the iPad is very low. I have full bars on my iPhone & 1 bar on my iPad and they're right next to each other! I'm going to wait until the first software update before I go to an Apple Store.

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
My iPhone has done the same thing ever since the 3.0 update. Always has one bar and two feet away from the router. Can't even use the internet sometimes when on a phone call. Hope my iPad doesn't do that. Haven't got to play with mine yet. I'm at work and it's at home.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If you have an older N-capable router, you might try NOT using the N radio if possible. My Dlink had a fishy implementation which would work unreliably over N, but great over G once I disabled N. A recent firmware update to my router fixed (improved) it though.

MissGadget

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Wi Fi Connection keeps Dropping...Arghh

My WIFI Connection is dropping like crazy. Very frustrating. I tried retarting several times and it works bit then again stops. I am going to try reynch to iTunes. Anyone has other suggestions?

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
Remember the IPad is all metal and glass, and has no plastic window for the antenna like the Ipod touch nor the plastic back of the iphone, so its expected that the signal strength is going to much lower than those two devices...

BretSnyder

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
WiFi cannot connect to hidden network

My iPad is unable to connect to my router when if have my SSID hidden. When I make it visible I am able to connect.

My iPhone and Touch are able to connect when it is hidden.

Reading postings on the Apple Discussion forums, this seems to be an issue with the new iPad.

(the antenna on the iPad is behind the plastic Apple logo on the back of the unit).

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
My WiFi connection has dropped 3 times already since I've had it. Plus it's requiring me to enter password all 3 times when I reconnect. Shouldn't it just connect when I select my wifi connection? Pretty frustrating. I know it's not the router because my iPhone has not had any issues. Hopefully I don't have a defected iPad and can be fixed with a software update.
On a side note, I'm loving the iPad other than the connection issues.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
For those that are having wifi problems you might want to try changing your wireless router security settinsgs to the most secure setting. That is what I did after having problems and since then I have not had any problems or interruptions.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
I kept getting booted off and it was saying my password was incorrect. I finally disable password protection and it now works fine.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
For those that are having wifi problems you might want to try changing your wireless router security settinsgs to the most secure setting. That is what I did after having problems and since then I have not had any problems or interruptions.

I'll have to try that thanks...how do I go about that exactly?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Make sure to update your router firmware as well. Most of them are buggy when released

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
I'll have to try that thanks...how do I go about that exactly?

Just pull up your routers preferences and then find your security options. Depending on what kind of router you have you may be able to accesss your security settings on your routers homepage. At least that is the case for me. I have a sprint wireless broadband router and I just go to my routers homepage on the web. Either way you should be able to pull up your security setting either online or in the preferences section of your installed hardware. Once you have pulled up your security settings just select the most secured setting, usually it is the recommended setting by your provider.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I kept getting booted off and it was saying my password was incorrect. I finally disable password protection and it now works fine.

Mine is doing that constantly now..where do you go to disable password protection? Thanks

wbaccus

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I am having the same issue. I'm betting that the next iPad is built more like the iPhone with a plastic back.

Restarting did not help. Reception is nowhere near as good as with my Macbook Pro.

Mcglamerye

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Same wifi issues on ipad

Wifi drops every 20-30 minutes and prompts for wep key again, becoming very annoying, I thought about a trip to the apple store to get a replacement. Not sure if I'm happy or sad to hear others having the same issue

theyommer

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Dropping wifi

I'm having the same problem with the dropping. I have to turn off and on the wifi setting on the iPad in order to get the connection back. Very annoying. I've been on 2 other wifi's this weekend with no trouble but at home I'm dropping. At the same time I'm having no trouble with my computers' connection so it's not the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.