Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Gross. You want to put a big piece of plastic on this beautiful screen?

Get a case instead.

tshandy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
How easily do these screens scratch? I would think with a case and some care it wouldn't scratch. Even though it has the same screen as an iPhone, it would never be subject to the same level of abuse--i.e., jammed in pocket with one's car keys.

I just dread the thought of trying to perfectly position one of those plastics sheets. It seems like even the tiniest speck of dust will result in an annoying bubble.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Apparently the backs scratches much easier than the front.

I think you are right. I got one of those gel skins to protect the back. I use a soft lint free cloth to clean the screen. I would think that any of those cloths/pads for mobile device screens would work as well to keep the "smudgies" away :cool:

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I think you are right. I got one of those gel skins to protect the back. I use a soft lint free cloth to clean the screen. I would think that any of those cloths/pads for mobile device screens would work as well to keep the "smudgies" away :cool:

On one of the reviews, they couldn't scratch the screen by trying to etch it with a nail, but the back got all chewed up just rubbing against things. :eek:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Why would you need one? It's not like an iPhone, where it might be in your pocket with keys, coins, etc. Screen protectors will just limit the awesomeness of the IPS display.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I do love the screen but all it takes is one scratch and then dohhhh so went ahead and got this stuff called ghost armor..I put it on my 2010 camaro radio and stuff is ausome..I dont like the feel of invinsashiled or how ever you spell it. It was 24 bucks for the full cover with lifetime warrenty.

BlacqIpad

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I found a good screen protector today

Try jandr.com, I picked a good on made by iluv 14$

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Invisible shield and stuff like that is useless, get a case if anything.

Check out PC Worlds torture test of the ipad, he was grinding a set of keys against the glass and it didn't scratch.

OhKay

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
People have trouble attaching a screen "protector" to an iPhone that is bubble-free. What hope do they have of creating a bubble-free iPad "protector"?

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I Love the ones sold for the iPhone. More of a fingerprint deterrent than protection.

The "Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set for iPhone 3G"

Oily fingerprints ruin the look.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
It's very unlikely to scratch, as it's glass. So it'd have to be something harder - metal won't do it, stone might.. so if you dropped it on the ground outside. But if you did that, you'd probably have more to worry about.

Along with making the oleophobic coating pointless, I wouldn't bother - just use a case.

Verified through owning and supporting 3G iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.