Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpsphil

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
The iPad is a great device but there is one thing that makes me really angry, why are developers developing completely separate iPad apps instead of just updating their old ones to work for both iPad and iPhone. I really don't want to pay another 9.99 for an application like X-Plane or Need for Speed when the applications are essentially the same but with higher res textures. So app developers if your reading this, don't throw your customers that have already bought your app under the bus, because now you will not be getting my money for the iPad version of your app because of your greediness

End Rant

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am all for making a buck for something that you worked on, but adding a side menu and a higher resolution does not equal +$10. Things really surprised me with that $20 price tag. Those HD driving games really surprised me with the higher resolution and no added features. I have not purchased 1 paid App. I will get pages and that is about it. I will wait out the ridiculous price tags.

I do blame the system as a whole a bit too though. If upgrade pricing was incorporated somehow, we wouldn't see much of this.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
So developers should put time and energy into making an iPad for free for you? You don't have to buy it, after all it's the same thing you've already bought with better graphics - right? How about this, come over clean my house and mow my grass and wash my Jeep then I'll look into upgrading your app for free.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
A lot of developers have redesigned apps completely. It's going to be hit or miss, I understand your resentment but it's not indicative of the entire App Store.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I'm waiting for prices to adjust to reality.

Hopefully a month or so

I second this. I've bought two apps and both were $.99 and for now ill use my already paid for iphone apps if i even miss them.
-Twit
-GoodReader

I highly recommend both.

This is just like the iphone app store launch, inflated prices. You have to understand that everyone, including the developers, are testing the water.

Case in point. Weather Bug Elite for iPad went from $4.99 to the introductory price of Free on Day 1. Patience Wins!

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
The iPad is a great device but there is one thing that makes me really angry, why are developers developing completely separate iPad apps instead of just updating their old ones to work for both iPad and iPhone. I really don't want to pay another 9.99 for an application like X-Plane or Need for Speed when the applications are essentially the same but with higher res textures. So app developers if your reading this, don't throw your customers that have already bought your app under the bus, because now you will not be getting my money for the iPad version of your app because of your greediness

End Rant

Because the iPad x plane app is a different app than the one on the iPhone. There is additional content and features.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
your title says your complaint is about the appstore?

but you've not said anything about the appstore...only about developers charging what is to be honest, very little money in real terms for work you actually want...and they took time to make.

your loss if you dont buy it..

why pay all sorts of hard earned cash for an iPad and then only wait for freebies and not use the device to its potential...

not all devs are charging more than you would want, so it always balances out over the piece IMO

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
I'm waiting for prices to adjust to reality.

Hopefully a month or so

possibly! 2 months, but not even certain at all.....
anyway 2 months = $5 per month = $1.25 per week = 0.17c per day.

so, you would rather not enjoy an app in a much better environment and product and save 17c a day...

happy saving.....and watching others with the app you wanted love it.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Case in point. Weather Bug Elite for iPad went from $4.99 to the introductory price of Free on Day 1. Patience Wins!

Unlike the iPhone, if developers charge too much for an app this early, no one buys it and it drops from the top of the lists. Without directly searching, you can't easily find most of the ipad apps. This is why they make it free all of a sudden.

stoppard

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Hopefully their will continue to be a market for non bottom-priced apps so that we can have high quality, compelling apps for a long time.

Some markets such as one off gimmicks and really easy combinations of things will hit a low price but hopefully developers will be able to get paid a reasonable amount for apps that provide genuine value.

That said the biggest problem with the ipad app store right now is that they do not have the fine grained categories available so it is very hard to find anything without prior knowledge.ads

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK

End Rant

Some apps like complex 3D games take up a lot of space. By making a 3D game universal, the file size drastically increases. This means iPhone and iPod Touch owners get loads of space taken up on their device just because the app also contains the iPad version in it. For simple apps, universal is the best option, but it makes sense for very large apps to get their own iPad app. Why should my iPhone suffer?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
i agree. half the apps are no different then there iphone siblings. not to mention it is easy to just make it fit the screen and add nothing else. i mean 10 dollars!!! im ok with maybe a buck but really?

MacVDS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Philomath Oregeon
I don't have a complaint about the apps or their pricing. My complaint is with the App store itself, at least on the iPad or for the iPad. They don't seem to have all the apps displayed, and subcatagories would be nice too. It's kind of hard to find stuff unless you know what it's called and you do a search. Seemed easier on the iTouch. Maybe it will change in time.

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Truth is were looking at day two of apps running on devices, son updates will be coming quickly, and it will be easier to justify purchasing these new apps.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If you don't like the price, don't buy them. Supply and demand will settle a selling price. Early adapters will probably pay more for apps, hence the higher prices. Once more apps are out, prices will come down.

That said, I have no problem dropping $10 on a good app. Still relatively cheap.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I don't have a complaint about the apps or their pricing. My complaint is with the App store itself, at least on the iPad or for the iPad. They don't seem to have all the apps displayed, and subcatagories would be nice too. It's kind of hard to find stuff unless you know what it's called and you do a search. Seemed easier on the iTouch. Maybe it will change in time.

I research and finds apps and app reviews on a site like AppAdvice. Then I go to the App Store to make a purchase if I want the app.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Why is it that people think that just because they bought an iPhone, iPod or iPad developers have to give away their apps for free? Would you do your job for free?

If you already have the iPhone version and don't want to pay for the iPad version of the same software, then put the iPhone version on the iPad, it will work. All the apps I've seen so far in the App Store have screenshots (in fact up to 5 screenshots) of what the app looks like on the iPad. If you don't think the higher rsolution and/or extra stuff is worth buying the app again then don't buy it again.

I don't have my iPad yet since it won't be released until late April with 3G, but I already know what apps I will purchase again because of the extra screen real estate and information this extra space will have. I, for one, don't mind paying again for a product on new platform if I think it is a good product. So far I have bought Splash ID 3 different times, first on a Palm, then Windows and again for the iPhone. I've also done the same with Bejeweled 2 (Palm, Win Mobile, iPhone), Pocket Informant (WinMo, iPhone), Documents to Go (Palm, WinMo and iPhone) as well as several others.

If an application has value to me, then I don't mind paying for the app or it's upgrades. That is why I buy upgrades to Windows, MacOS, MSOffice, and several other programs I use when those upgrades are available. One case in point would be Franklin Covey's Plan Plus for Outlook. I've been using this program since it was in beta version and now version 7 just came out. I upgraded this application every year and I did not hesitate to get the upgrade to version 7.

I don't know, I just don't get why computer users seem to think every app that you have to pay for is no good or why they think they should get all their apps for free.

end rant.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

That's my big problem with the iPad. Everyone thinks it's a license to print money. $10 games that are $1 on iPhone. Monthly fee for newspapers or magazines. $15 books.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
I'm mad I re-bought nfs:shift. It'd the same as the iphone pretty much. I'm waiting on real racing to drop in price and i am going to get it. I thought need for speed had ap cockpit view, but i haven't been able to figure it out.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

That's my big problem with the iPad. Everyone thinks it's a license to print money. $10 games that are $1 on iPhone. Monthly fee for newspapers or magazines. $15 books.

Well, Magazines I can understand. Newspapers as well. Thing is, you don't really need those on an iPad. Just use the internet. Books is an issue on its own. We had decent book prices with the Amazon store, but Apple allowed flexibility, and here we are now at $12-$14 books. Not really much that you can do about that.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
I guess I'm showing my age, but it's still hard for me to get my head around the idea that five or ten bucks is TOO MUCH to pay for an application that does something cool that you really want. This is like, a six-pack of beer. I mean, as Joe Biden would say, BFD.

Treat yourself to one $10 game (or whatever) that you really want, and then wait for prices to drop. It's all part of the fun of being an early adopter.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
My biggest complaint is the fact that you always get kicked back to the springboard after downloading an app. How hard can it be to implement a system that starts the download but allows you to stay in the app store when I want to download multiple apps?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I really don't want to pay another 9.99 for an application like X-Plane or Need for Speed when the applications are essentially the same but with higher res textures.

I don't know about need for speed, but the plane 9 app is not really the same as the iPhone apps. They pretty much combined all the iPhone apps, for example it had jets, props, helicopters, and the space shuttle included. The scenery is really expanded as well. They also included a cockpit view, rather than just a HUD type view on the iPhone.

Only criticism is that lots of the planes or scenery are listed as coming soon, but it's a much better value than the iPhone apps! Basically you pay for one $10 app, and it covers $50 worth of iPhone apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.