Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
I do love this thing, but it seems every 30 minutes or so, I simply get dropped from my own wifi connection, and the iPad asks me for my password again.

On a couple occasions, I could not join my wifi network again. The only fix was to power down and back up. Anyone else have this problem? I do not have this issue with my iPod touch.

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
no problems with my home wi-fi or Verizon mifi and tethering with eris droid works fine surf on all three for 1hr each.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
30 minutes? Mine is doing this every 10-15 minutes. I will try rebooting it though.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Rebooting should fix the issue

I have rebooted 3 times, doesnt help. Meanwhile, my Macbook is running on the same wifi network just fine. Spent $500 for something I cant even use more than 5 minutes at a time. This POS is going back tomorrow.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
I'll throw this out there.

You may want to look at your router and make sure you have the latest firmware (or latest DD-WRT) on it.

I had an issue like this - a device losing wifi (wasn't the iPad). Went round and round with the device for a while until I read about some access point incompatibilities. Updated the firmware on my router and haven't had a single problem since.

As "universal" as they'd like you to think wifi is, there are often issues between Atheros and Broadcom chipsets that get cleared up in software (firmware) - or just general chipset issues.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
I'll throw this out there.

You may want to look at your router and make sure you have the latest firmware (or latest DD-WRT) on it.

I had an issue like this - a device losing wifi (wasn't the iPad). Went round and round with the device for a while until I read about some access point incompatibilities. Updated the firmware on my router and haven't had a single problem since.

As "universal" as they'd like you to think wifi is, there are often issues between Atheros and Broadcom chipsets that get cleared up in software (firmware) - or just general chipset issues.

Thanks but its not a router. Its one of those Sprint 3G/4G mobile hotspots and as I said, my Macbook stays connected to it just fine...

mozartwon

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
VIENNA Va.
I do love this thing, but it seems every 30 minutes or so, I simply get dropped from my own wifi connection, and the iPad asks me for my password again.

On a couple occasions, I could not join my wifi network again. The only fix was to power down and back up. Anyone else have this problem? I do not have this issue with my iPod touch.

I'm having the exact same problem!!

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
Thanks but its not a router. Its one of those Sprint 3G/4G mobile hotspots and as I said, my Macbook stays connected to it just fine...

Check for a firmware update to it anyway. The MacBook has an Atheros chipset and the iPad has a Broadcom chipset so there is maddeningly funky incompatibility potential. You either have a faulty iPad or something is up with your mobile hotspot.

My MacBook Pro and iPad both have no disconnect issues here.

Edit: here you go. Firmware update for sprint 3G/4g mobile hotspot
http://www.nextel.com/en/software_downloads/mobile_broadband/sierra_overdrive.shtml

You can go to http://www.sprint.com/downloads for a more generic link in case the link above isn't your mobile hotspot.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Check for a firmware update to it anyway. The MacBook has an Atheros chipset and the iPad has a Broadcom chipset so there is maddeningly funky incompatibility potential. You either have a faulty iPad or something is up with your mobile hotspot.

My MacBook Pro and iPad both have no disconnect issues here.

ok, there was an update available supposed to improve iphone and itouch. Downloaded it and testing now.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Didnt work. Boots me off and says "incorrect password" while I am just surfing the net for a few minutes. Great job Apple, you can have this crap back.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
It's going to be something to do with the mobile hotspot, not the iPad. Wifi channel, wep/wpa/wpa2, something. Router config or router firmware update clears it up - and I've set up quite a few wireless networks. Had this problem too with a router bridging to another router. Frequent disconnects and would need to reenter the password. Firmware update fixed it.

Try resetting your mobile hotspot to defaults (hard reset) in case there is a funky setting in there. I guarantee you this problem is not the iPads fault.

Go find another wifi network to connect to and see if it holds a password. I'll bet it does. If you can get the iPad to work on another network, that points squarely at the mobile hotspot.

Edit: looks like that 3G/4g hotspot is VERY new - maybe sprint doesn't have incentive to have an iPhone/iPod/iPad work correctly with their hotspot or they're still ironing out issues.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
I'll check those links out later. I still think this will end up being a router issue.
If you have broadcast ssid turned off, try turning it on.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Well dammit. I am down here at Starbucks and my iPad is working perfect on their wifi here. Appears to be an issue with my mobile hotspot. That sucks, I can't come to Starbucks every time I want to use it :(

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
Ssid is your network name. If you can find your network on your mac or ipad then ssid is set to broadcast. If you have to type in your network name to connect then your ssid is hidden.
I've seen issues even with my MacBook pro with a hidden ssid where I had to type in the network name. It would constantly lose connection. Set it to broadcast and it was fine.

Now that you got starbucks working, we know it's a hotspot issue. I'd try resetting your hotspot and reconfiguring it after that firmware update. Then restart your ipad and try to reconnect.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for the info everyone... I know my wifi is hidden, and will change to broadcast... We'll see if that helps. I hope apple will fix this with a minor os upgrade soon. Since it works fine on the iPod touch, it ought to work fine on the iPad.

Fwiw, sometimes it's 5minutes for me, sometimes 1-2hours...

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Well dammit. I am down here at Starbucks and my iPad is working perfect on their wifi here. Appears to be an issue with my mobile hotspot. That sucks, I can't come to Starbucks every time I want to use it :(

Good, so now you can take your crappy attitude back.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Ok. So I turned the security off on my router thus disabling the need for a password. It's working pretty well now. Dropped the signal once briefly but didn't knock me offline. Haven't had the incorrect password box pop up either.

So if you are having similar issues to me, try disabling your security so you don't need a password. A bit risky but I will just be using mine at home anyways.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
What kind of security were you using?

WPA2 (AES) has worked well. If you were just using WPA, try WPA2. You might also try changing channels to see if that helps. Not good having no security

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
What kind of security were you using?

WPA2 (AES) has worked well. If you were just using WPA, try WPA2. You might also try changing channels to see if that helps. Not good having no security

Not sure. I just went in and disabled the password and it really doesnt matter since the range on this thing is only 25 feet. Someone would have to be inside my house to get access to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.