Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
as the title says. I have a PC with Windows 7 and Handbrake doesn't work. What are some other good options to rip my DVDs to my iPad?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I think he was asking what kind of problems are you having with handbrake. Is it not installing, complaining about missing a dll, or is it producing videos, but they won't sync with iTunes?

I never could get handbrake to work on my pc, I could never get all the accessory programs installed correctly. I've had much better luck on the mac platform, although I did need to downgrade vlc to the last known 64 bit version to get the latest handbrake to work.

The only other method I can think of is try dvdfab, it's not free but they have a 30 day trial I think, and it will convert to some mobile formats. (I have not used it myself however......)

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I use to use Handbrake on my Mac and it worked great. But I have never had any luck with it on my Windows machines. I just assume find an alternative to Handbrake that will work on my Windows 7 machine if possible.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Get a $50 external USB DVD drive and play them off that. That's all it would take with any good netbook anyway. ;)

MasterJack

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
I hate to ask this but I can't seem to add movies to my iPad - not unless I got them from iTunes. I want to add some training videos (AVI files) which I know I need to convert to MP4 but when I do and drag them to iTunes (Movie Section) I get nothing. Is there no way to add our own files to the iPad (videos)? That would be sorry.....

MasterJack

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
What is the exact problem you're having with HandBreak?

when I start up HB and I tell it to use the DVD source, I acts like it's scanning the movie but nothing happens. I look at the activity log and it keeps giving all these errors....

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
when I start up HB and I tell it to use the DVD source, I acts like it's scanning the movie but nothing happens. I look at the activity log and it keeps giving all these errors....

That's very strange. I've successfully used HB on Win XP with no problems. Are you in any situation to try that?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
that's what I have. a netbook with an external DVD writer and Handbrake doesn't work.
Uhm... Play the DVD on your netbook? There are two parts to your problem. One is the iPad. Skip the iPad and play the DVD off the DVD drive on the netbook.

esmode

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010

You are probably running into copy protection. Handbrake doesn't circumvent that. You need to decrypt/rip your dvd in another app first, then convert the files to AppleTV format using Handbrake. I can confirm that the default AppleTV profile in Handbrake works.

As for ripping dvds you can go with AnyDvD or for older dvds, dvddecryptor. I did all of this on windows 7 64bit. Don't know the tools for Mac that well yet.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
That's very strange. I've successfully used HB on Win XP with no problems. Are you in any situation to try that?

not really. I have Win 7 loaded on my netbook. I really don't feel like reformatting to XP only to find out it doesn't work either.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
okay. I'll try that.

works great. but be prepared to wait a while, depending on your cpu and memory. my toshiba lappy finishes way faster than my desktop HP which is fine for routine PC usage, but awful for encoding w/ handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.