Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
hi all, i'm still going to buy it (when it's finally released in Australia) but I was just wondering if the safari for iPad allows any download of content or upload of files (ie yousendit.com etc)? thanks all you lucky peeps!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Im going to guess it depends on the file type...but then again I don't know where it would store it since it has no file system really. Im guessing it doesnt work and my wife is hogging the iPad so I can't check.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Im going to guess it depends on the file type...but then again I don't know where it would store it since it has no file system really. Im guessing it doesnt work and my wife is hogging the iPad so I can't check.

I was wondering about audio, video, and text (.doc) files. The iPad has apps for all of them it could save to, so I don't see why not.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think the only way that uploading would work would be through dedicated apps, for example a yousendit app that you could send files to from other apps.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I was wondering about audio, video, and text (.doc) files. The iPad has apps for all of them it could save to, so I don't see why not.

Then I think it will let you open them, but not save them for later use.

I got the iPad back in use...any site I can go to and download a file?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
K, I tried the first link on there (Sixtyforce 0.9.5b1) and got an error pop up that says:

Download Failed
Safari cannot download this file.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, you still can't download files from Safari. This is a real setback.

It's easily fixed once a jailbreak releases though. :)

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
That would be real nice to download directly. I plan on adding a bunch of Cisco SNRD Guides, but it would be nice if I could save the PDF's directly to the iPad versus downloading them and then syncing them.

Heck, a USB port would also be nice so I can download them to it and then load them to the iPad.

I'm sure it will get to that point eventually if it cannot do it right now.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Using iPad file sharing, you can store files on your iPad via iTunes. Can anyone do this then see if they can upload anywhere?

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I think the only way that uploading would work would be through dedicated apps, for example a yousendit app that you could send files to from other apps.

ah. that's dissapointing because not every website will have a dedicated app. sigh. that's dissapointing that there's no upload/download feature. I'm a bit dissapointed but not a deal breaker.

now to wait for os 4.0. fingers and toes crossed. thanks though everyone!

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
There is no "file system"
You can download files the iPad uses though, it goes to the application that uses it.

that's one of the great things about this OS, and why it better than a desktop OS (for non-work related tasks)

Super quick, and super stable. No nonsense included.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Connect your iPad to your Mac. On iTunes, select iPad from devices and go to the Apps tab. Under the place where you can arrange your apps, there is an area that allows you to store files on the iPad. This is the File Sharing feature.

I know the file sharing works, because others have tried it already. But could someone please move a file to their iPad in this way, and then try uploading the file on a website? I'll give you an example. Put a small image file on the iPad (with File Sharing, not with iPhoto), and then visit an avatar-enabled forum on your iPad and try uploading the file as a new avatar. Could someone please give this a go?

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
So if someone sends you a file they have to email it to you? You can't download a file via yousendit or rapidshare or any webpage? What if there is someone's PDF resume on their website and I wanted to download it, would it be possible?

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
There is no "file system"
You can download files the iPad uses though, it goes to the application that uses it.

that's one of the great things about this OS, and why it better than a desktop OS (for non-work related tasks)

Super quick, and super stable. No nonsense included.

so you can open safari up and download like a "pages" file straight to the device? any information about file uploads as mentioned by Peter Harrison and myself? uploading to websites without any native apps or something? ie upload a word document to megaupload or something?

as again, thanks for the help everyone!

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Connect your iPad to your Mac. On iTunes, select iPad from devices and go to the Apps tab. Under the place where you can arrange your apps, there is an area that allows you to store files on the iPad. This is the File Sharing feature.

I know the file sharing works, because others have tried it already. But could someone please move a file to their iPad in this way, and then try uploading the file on a website? I'll give you an example. Put a small image file on the iPad (with File Sharing, not with iPhoto), and then visit an avatar-enabled forum on your iPad and try uploading the file as a new avatar. Could someone please give this a go?

Bump. Could someone give it a go please?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What kind of files do you want to download?

for .99 I bought (on the rec. of this board) GoodReader and it can download from FTP, Websites, your computer wirelessly. It can play/view tons of file formats from word to pdf to pictures and movies

ETA: you can also have it (from the app) review your emails to find attachments and download too.

The app isn't perfect - but for 99 - it's great

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
If someone can offer a step by step, I would liek to know - in just my two days playing around, it's not possible for media files. I have been on several sites like TWIT.tv where I wanted to watch the Woz interview (video) and it loaded up within Safari and I could not figure out a way to download it.

I really love the potential of the device, but I think the lack of at least a limited ability to download files is a big minus. When iDisk is already supported (via iPhone app) I soo no reason to not give a basic place to dump files - which does not mean the average user has to be able to view the file system. it can be as basic as a "big cardboard box" you dump things in, but I think it needs to be there.

My guess is it will be there with an SD slot (keeping them "off the device") down the road.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
If you click on a link to download a .doc file in safari, it will allow you to download it to pages if you have it installed.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
If you click on a link to download a .doc file in safari, it will allow you to download it to pages if you have it installed.

hmm. does that mean that i could download a mp4 video clip that will run in the iPod/video feature of the iPad?

anyone has tried uploads via safari?

rterra

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
What kind of files do you want to download?

for .99 I bought (on the rec. of this board) GoodReader and it can download from FTP, Websites, your computer wirelessly. It can play/view tons of file formats from word to pdf to pictures and movies

ETA: you can also have it (from the app) review your emails to find attachments and download too.

The app isn't perfect - but for 99 - it's great

I just downloaded a pdf file with GoodReader. Using this app is not as userfriendly as Safari. Maybe the next Safari will be better.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
hmm. does that mean that i could download a mp4 video clip that will run in the iPod/video feature of the iPad?

anyone has tried uploads via safari?

You cant save it. However if its in the right format safari will open a new window and stream the said video. I think its total bull. Android browsers have no problem downloading videos and they're all essentially the same browser built on the same foundation.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Yea it's a bunch of crap, really bugs me because I otherwise like the device. Not having flash is a huge annoyance but I could almost deal with it because I knew it beforehand but I had no idea the thing wouldnt be able to do something as simple as download and upload files from the internet. It's really a huge oversight on Apples part. Hopefully they address it with OS 4.0 because this coupled with no flash is enough of a dealbreaker for me to want to switch to another device like this once they start hitting the market.

I'm really starting to understand where the people are coming from that talk about how controlling Apple is and how limited iPhone OS is, it didnt bother me so much when I had my iphone because it was too small to really take advantage of anything but on a device like the ipad theres no excuse for it. It's not the "in between a phone and laptop" device it has been touted as it is simply a phone with a bigger screen that can't make calls and really can't do anything else that the phone doesn't do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.