Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
At 4, the DS's major advantages are probably that it's cheaper (used) and won't break as easily. The iPod's major advantage is probably that, when your child gets bored with a game after 15 minutes, the game only cost you $2 instead of $25. :p

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
At 4, the DS's major advantages are probably that it's cheaper (used) and won't break as easily. The iPod's major advantage is probably that, when your child gets bored with a game after 15 minutes, the game only cost you $2 instead of $25. :p

.... Ya..... Not sure how that was supposed to be helpful.

On Topic: Most versions of the DS are cheaper then the iPod Touch. The only one that isn't would be the newest version (the DSi XL) which sells for $190. IMO, the DS is also are far more durable then an iPod would be. Drop it on the floor and all you gota worry about is the outer case getting scratched (which I doubt your child will care about).

As for games, the DS is probably your best bet. No matter how much Apple tries to make gaming on the i* devices appealing, the DS has far more accessible and kid friendly-games. This might change, but the DS has a 4+ year start on the iPad, so its very unlikely. The i* series of devices have games geared more towards the teenage and 20+ crowd then kids. The DS has games that appeal to all ages which means it will last you for most of your kid's gaming life.

Knowledge gained from working at EB Games for 5+ years helping parents not make the mistake of buying a PSP for their kids.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
At 4? They're getting younger :D.

The DS costs less initially but games generally cost more and are bigger.
An iPod Touch is more fragile (glass) but easier to use since there are no buttons used for games.

Personally I'd just take a 4 year old to the professor and expect them to gather 8 badges in 30 hours or less.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
How was it off-topic? :confused: I think those are valid concerns. In fact, you brought one of them up again (durability) immediately after dismissing my post as off-topic. :rolleyes:

Didn't say it was off target. Meant it wasn't that helpful. Info you gave was off (DS cost > iPod Touch cost) as well as the game prices.

Anyway: Some of the i* games due use digital buttons, which (IMO) are more difficult to use then real ones.

I do agree with you Dagless. Either do that or give them the PokeWalker and rack up those watts.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I tend to think that 4 = still a toddler, and there is really no need for them to have a DS. They are not emotionally prepared for real responsibility or accountability at that age ...

I would think that a LeapSter would be more age appropriate.

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't be one of those parents who allows a DS to become a 'virtual pacifier' ... if you are at a public event such as a concert, movie or play and they need to play WHILE the event is going on, they are obviously too young to be there and you are being very rude and showing poor parenting by allowing it ... same goes the second you allow them to walk around a public place where there are any amount of people ... or at a library, etc ...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
DS... the games are able to be resold, so you'll be able to get store credit for used ones one day. I'd like you see to even try that with Apple ;)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
The DS IMO.

I wouldn't trust a 4 year old with my Touch, but having said that I've watched some of my friends and even my sister and her husband let their kids use their iPhone when we've been out and about.

Anyways, there are a ton of great games on the DS for all ages. I can't say that for Apple's app store, which is populated with more crap than good.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
The DS.

I think it has more kid-friendly games, and also more mature games that would keep older kids entertained. My little cousins (4 kids ages 5 to 10) play Club Penguin, etc, and when there's a family gathering we play Mario Kart and similar games together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.