Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Strange, I can't move emails to trash by swiping them or selecting for deletion. I just get a message "can't move email to trash"

However, if I click on the file folder, and move them to the trash that way, it works. Anyone else seeing this?

I googled this and noticed there was a similar iphone issue a couple years ago... But this seems different somehow.

dcsatt

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Strange, I can't move emails to trash by swiping them or selecting for deletion. I just get a message "can't move email to trash"

However, if I click on the file folder, and move them to the trash that way, it works. Anyone else seeing this?

I googled this and noticed there was a similar iphone issue a couple years ago... But this seems different somehow.

I've had that problem on my iPhone, and I assume it would be the same issue on the iPad.
If your email account is an IMAP account hosted on a server, you have to make sure deleted messages are sent to the "Deleted Messages" folder on the server, not the same folder on the iPad.
Go to you iPad settings, Mail, choose your account, go to Advanced, then under Mailbox Behaviors, select Deleted Mailbox and make sure you check the appropriate "Deleted Messages" location.
Hope that helps.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
I've had that problem on my iPhone, and I assume it would be the same issue on the iPad.
If your email account is an IMAP account hosted on a server, you have to make sure deleted messages are sent to the "Deleted Messages" folder on the server, not the same folder on the iPad.
Go to you iPad settings, Mail, choose your account, go to Advanced, then under Mailbox Behaviors, select Deleted Mailbox and make sure you check the appropriate "Deleted Messages" location.
Hope that helps.

Well, that did work, thanks. But, now, it's moving items I delete to my trash on the server? I don't want it to work that way... It doesn't work like that on my touch. On the touch, what happens on the touch stays on the touch... And when I later download my messages onto my computer, that deletes them from my server. So my computer is my primary/end email client, where all my folders are, etc. I'd prefer that the iPad worked similar to the touch... I tried to set them up the same way... Maybe I missed some setting somewhere?

ae58

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Remove emails from Trash

You have to check your Settings for Trash removal. Below are the steps to configure a Yahoo account.

1. Go to Settings.
2. Click on Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Click on Yahoo.
4. Click on the account name.
5. Click on Advanced.
6. Under Deleted Messages, make sure that the selection is something other than Never.

Check your other email account settings to ensure that the deleted messages are being removed from the Deleted Folder of your server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.