Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
3.00 price difference. I don't have a problem paying 9.99 for what it seems this app can do

For those that have used it - care to share experiences? Any caveats/tips/limitations/"Fantastic" things?

And is there any reason to choose one over the other? I see that PrintCentral includes everything plus a few more features than PrintnShare. But I'm assuming that's really the only difference?

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
3.00 price difference. I don't have a problem paying 9.99 for what it seems this app can do

For those that have used it - care to share experiences? Any caveats/tips/limitations/"Fantastic" things?

And is there any reason to choose one over the other? I see that PrintCentral includes everything plus a few more features than PrintnShare. But I'm assuming that's really the only difference?

I just bought PrintCentral the day I got my iPad. So far, I have to say it does what it advertise for. After you install the PrintCnetral App, you have to go to the company's website and download and install a free print server app that talks to the iPhone/iPad App. The process is very easy and you need that program running on your mac/pc when you print. It basically use the shared printer that is connected to your computer to print your stuff.

The PrintCentral App basically got a little bit more network functionality like accessing and printing from FTP server and print directly off WebDAV. The other main addition to the full feature App is that you can print from your clipboard. For example, you hold and copy something on the iPhone/iPad, and it saves to the clipboard, and you can access that and print directly off it. For example, copy an image in safari, go to PrintCentral and print it. If you use those features, go with PrintCentral. BTW, the PrintCentral App is basically Print n Share + ClipPrinter.

If you haven't see it, there's a comparison sheet on the company's website:
appcom1.jpg

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I'm looking for a printing app that doesn't require a separate computer to print. And can print email, contacts, documents.

Does anyone know of one that can do this?

Thanks.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I'm looking for a printing app that doesn't require a separate computer to print. And can print email, contacts, documents.

Thanks.

I THINK the print n share app prints directly to a networked printer without the assistance of a computer.

:apple:

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005

Thanks.

Like many have said, that is currently not possible because printers require drivers to be installed and currently there is no way you can install printer driver to the iPhone/iPad. Therefore, it requires some program (such as print n share) in to direct your selected page to an actual computer and use that computer as print sever to print to the printer hooked on it.

Let's hope the iPhone OS4 will bring some solution to this since the iPad now have word processing capabilities... but fingers crossed...:rolleyes:

beckham2

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Can Too 8/7/10

nope - it needs an install on a local machine

Don't know if an update took care of it. But you can print directly to a wireless network printer. I just did so. It does print better from my network Mac. The text is bolder.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
didn't steve jobs say in an email that printing was coming to the iPad. I personally would just wait until Apple makes an announce regarding iOS 4 for the iPad because I would rather the printing feature be part of the OS and not have to launch an App every time I want to print something.

I've been waiting because those printing apps have a high price tags and they all have different functionality.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
nope - it needs an install on a local machine

Not quite true.

My Epson Ink Jet and Brother Lazer are both connected via USB to my wireless router.

The Epson will print fine with out having the computer turned on.

The Brother prints only (is only detected) by "Print and Share" with the computer on and the printer "shared" on the network. -

I haven't installed any software on the Mac.

By the way, the difference between Print and Share and PrintCentral is to do will accessing email servers. You can do this with Print and Share via an in-app purchase if you wish latter.

I didn't bother because I have Good Reader and Air Sharing that have this function anyway.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The only thing I **sorta** wish I had with Print n Share is the print from clipboard function, and I can add that if I choose. Thus far the limitations to their email handling in PnS vs Print Central haven't been a factor for me, and since I don't use Dropbox or Google Docs, I don't need those features either.

I can't personally see waiting on Jobs et al to get around to adding printing to the iPad. We've seen how long it takes for them to move on critical issues; I don't see them moving quickly on something like this. Under $10 is a pretty small price to pay to add something this practical onto a device I use constantly. Even if they add printing into iOS4 for the iPad in November (no guarantees on that!), I'll have gotten my money's worth.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I'm aware that this thread hasn't been active for quite some time now. But I'm interested in purchasing PrintCentral, however before doing so I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone who's familiar with this app can give me answers to.

Once I buy the app, there's a software that has to be downloaded on my computer, is that correct? If so, does that mean that I need to have my laptop with me when I want to print? Let's say, I'm in university and I only have my iPad in hand and would like to print from a printer that I've never printed from before, will I be able to do that without my laptop close by?

Basically, printing from any printers directly from my iPad without the need for my laptop. Can PrintCentral do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.