Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
First, No I have desire to text while driving and playing with calendar etc while driving. There are a lot of risks and many people who are strongly opinioned about playing with devices while driving so let's stay off that subject in this thread.

That said, I see a great deal of opportunity here for both developers and consumers to have an iPad docked similar to how iPhones are docked in car for a variety of usefull purposes that require little user interaction.

Aside from the obvious GPS apps, I'm very interested to see what devs will come up with to replace or compliment the current functionality that most car mfg's provide in a cars main console.

Thoughts? Any particular apps you see possibly running on you car console while on the road? There's huge room for creativity here.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Carport?

I don't recommend it. I would hate to lose that space on my dashboard.

No GPS needs to be that large.

kurtfoster

Contributor
Mar 8, 2009
I think it's a great idea ..

Imagine having your GPS, Radio, XM Sirius, Radar Detector, among many other things just there when you need them. It would interface with the car and you wouldn't be missing any dash space, because the iPad could be whatever you need. I get it, and I think it would be great!!!

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If it was a bad idea in February, it is a bad idea now. :)

Have you ever seen a car? Have you ever driven one? There is not much room for such a thing in an ordinary car. iPad - only in the iCar

Or in one of those nasty Hummers. But I bet that they run Windows. It fits them better. With some hardcore gaming and serious lack of common sense.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Maybe for cops or paramedics?

Pretty sure that neither will have much interest in rebuilding their custom solutions to a third party platform which they can't really control in any way.

Imagine having your GPS, Radio, XM Sirius, Radar Detector, among many other things just there when you need them. It would interface with the car and you wouldn't be missing any dash space, because the iPad could be whatever you need. I get it, and I think it would be great!!!

Get a windows tablet and you can do all that and more, like interfacing with your ECU to adjust timings and turbo pressure etc. on the fly. Depending on the model of your car, of course.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007

Have you ever seen a car? Have you ever driven one? There is not much room for such a thing in an ordinary car. iPad - only in the iCar

Or in one of those nasty Hummers. But I bet that they run Windows. It fits them better. With some hardcore gaming and serious lack of common sense.

My car, as well as many others, I'm sure, came with a 7" touchscreen in-dash with plenty of room for it to be bigger. May not be great for all cars, but certainly better than the factory system my car came with.

Smackfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
The biggest concern is glare. My GPS has a smaller screen and it still has very bad glare issues if it isn't pointed right (downwards).

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I guess no-one has thought about the heat in the car with the iPad mounted in the dash... wouldnt be pretty for the iPad in the summer lol

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC

Maybe you need to get a life. I have not seen one positive comment coming from you. Why would you spend so many hours on this site blurting negative views over and over again. Are you being paid to do that?

Diet Pepsi

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
Tucson
The iPad would fit well in my truck. Plus, it would replace both the Garman and the Sirius.

I just realized why I might need 3G. Thanks

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Man!

I see people having screens for movies and music videos all over the car and some have also consoles there, and I saw also people have mac minis too!

The iPad is the solution!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.