Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofmof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
UK
looking at the tiny footprint and high performance low power ratios used on the iphone OS in the iPad and iPhones, should apple consider moving the model to apple tv ?

iPad plays movies, photos and music on the iPhone OS, just like my Apple TV, but the app store would enable a next extension to the iphone and Apple TV platforms giving full screen gaming, and downloadable app flexibility, like the netflix for iPad app, how about netflix for apple tv.

Finally, a new remote like the multi touch mouse could be introduced to make navigation easy, or continue to enable people to pair iphone and ipod touches.

Is this a Crazy Idea ?

It's your hobby Apple, Show it some Love !:apple:

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
looking at the tiny footprint and high performance low power ratios used on the iphone OS in the iPad and iPhones, should apple consider moving the model to apple tv ?

I don't really see any downsides to adopting the iPhone OS... but then, I'm not an Apple programmer. They certainly need to do something, though

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I have no idea Apple's plans but I'm not sure apps make a lot of sense on Apple TV. And Netflix seems unlikely to ever come to Apple TV, though stranger things have happened.

sonofmof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
UK
thanks for the replies.

I think apps make a lot of sense, I could easily see myself using a few of the apps i use now on my touch,
EG.
Skynews
Facebook
Wikipedia,
YouTube, although I know this is already on Appletv (I use it)

there is also the gaming apps, which could be made to look glorious on a big screen, not to mention, mail and calendar support with web browsing too.

Regarding Netflix, they already have an iPod and iPad app, why not apple tv ? perhaps not now because there is no easy entry on to current system ?

The popularity of ATVFlash seems to indicate there is a ready market of users ready and waiting to do more, I think if Apple removed the need for a "Hack" it could be even more popular.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
iPhone OS on the ATV is a bad idea for one reason how would you control it?

It's alright you saying Apple could introduce a new multi touch control, but people don't want to be forced to purchase a new remote/controller just because Apple forces a OS update on them.

Now if Apple made the OS a hybrid mix of the two OS's so people could continue using there ATV's as normal with there normal remote and get the same functionality as they do now but then had an option to switch into an iPhone like mode if they wanted to and had the correct remote/controller for it. Then people like me who have no interest in multi touch or app stores could continue using the ATV like before, but people who wanted to buy a new fangled remote and use the app store could also do that.

Then you've also got the problem that iPhone apps are designed to be viewed on a tiny lowres iPhone screen, can you imagine what they would look like blown-up on a 42" TV. Not a pretty sight.........

sonofmof

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
UK
Of course it could be backwards compatible if rolled out to existing models. I'm sure that with a menu home screen much like the iphone navigation would be as easy though a visual matrix as it is through the wordy menu of version 3 software.

If you were not interested in apps etc, the simple 4 buttons on the bottom of the iphone would be a good example for the default apple tv menu, movies, tv, music and photos.

I understand not all want new multitouch, but think that something needs to change for anyone who does more than the basic with their existing apple tv.

have you ever tried browsing youtube with the apple remote ? :-(

i'm all about choice, and I think an expandable apple tv would do that.

regarding the scaling of apps, the original apple tv had a very visual menu, and the size of the images did not look so bad. Of course an iPhone app will look horrid, but look at iPad apps, 5x more screen real estate, and designers are already making gorgeous apps, it could be the same here.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
have you ever tried browsing youtube with the apple remote ? :-(
I spend hours using YouTube on my ATV with the standard remote and have no problems. I think the interface is very easy to navigate.

regarding the scaling of apps, the original apple tv had a very visual menu, and the size of the images did not look so bad.
I'm not sure what you mean, the ATV's menu was and has always been designed for viewing on a HDTV so of course the images will look good. However the iPhone OS was never designed to be viewed at such a large size and as people are finding out when they stretch there iPhone apps to fill the iPad screen they start to look bad so imagine stretching them even more to fill a HDTV.

Of course an iPhone app will look horrid, but look at iPad apps, 5x more screen real estate, and designers are already making gorgeous apps, it could be the same here
But how many developers are gonna want to have to design and make 3 different versions of there apps, one for iPhone, one for iPad and one for ATV.

I'm not trying to be negitive but I can't see Apple pouring time and resources into something that just would not translate well to a larger screen without serious changes to both the OS and the way devs design there apps. Add in the fact that an ATV straight out of the box dosn't come with anything that could control the apps and I just can't see it happening.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I think Facebook on Apple TV gets overly gadgety for the device's goals, could be wrong. Maybe some widgets like weather or traffic would be interesting, although I already get those on my phone so I wouldn't personally be interested. The existing YouTube interface is about as good as you can make it with a remote control, works great.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I honestly believe that a version of the A4 is going into the next Apple TV.

I do too, but not necessarily using the iPhone OS since that OS is touch based. Unfortunately, that will kill the current patchsticks and unless Apple provides for an app store for the aTV, the new ones won't be able to run 3rd party software like Sapphire and XBMC which I've come to rely on to view my non-iTunes encoded movies and interface with MythTV.

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Yes it should!! Updated remote please.

Attachments

• appletv.jpg
    appletv.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 89

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
It probably should switch. People shouldn't confuse the Iphone UI with iPhoneOS. The UI involves the launchpad, icons and multitouch. Apple could quite easily slap an HDTV UI over the top of the iPhoneOS and most users wouldn't know the difference. I seem to recall Apple said the ATV would be migrated to 10.6, but OS 3.0 came and it still seems to be based on 10.4...

Of course, I don't know whether it's worth Apple adding support for the ATV hardware to iPhoneOS. It's likely the next ATV (whenever it appears) will be based on an ARM chip with PowerVR GPU so it should be simple to run iPhoneOS on such a setup. This brings up the possibility of the new ATV running iPhoneOS and the old boxes being stuck on 10.4.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Apple could quite easily slap an HDTV UI over the top of the iPhoneOS and most users wouldn't know the difference.
But then what would be the point. The reason people want the iPhone OS/UI is they think the apps store would be good on the ATV. But with no way to control those apps whats the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.