Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm having the exact same issue here as well, otherwise I have no complaints with my iPad. I'm hoping it's just a software fix that's needed.

I don't think anyone is connecting to a Time Capsule N band at faster than 39mbit with their iPads. I guess then, that I don't see the point of the iPad even having wireless N!

OSX-SUX

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
Seeing how much my iPod Touch's WiFi reception sucks, this isn't really a surprise to see another Apple product released over-priced and under-tested.

Early Apple adopters...when will you learn?

My favorite user comment concerning bad WiFi reception:

"You just need to turn off the Magic dampers in your house." LOL! Hilarious, magic my ass.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Mine is flakey too. Works great at home on Apple basestation, but at work it keeps dropping the connection (even when iPhones and laptops are fine). It'll keep saying it can't connect for like 5 minutes, but then if I let it sit there it'll all of a sudden connect itself. But then it'll drop again (especially if I move to a different repeater).

Another problem I had is at the coffee shop. They give you a code to enter to connect. That worked fine, however, when the device goes to sleep, it loses the connection and you can no longer use the same code anymore, it says "already in use", even though it's the same device.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I am a computer programmer and I was just talking to a old professor who is a Mac guy and he thinks that apple will a huge recall on these. He also has one and his is doing the same thing.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just to update. Today I completely restored the OS 3.2. i.e. I connected the iPad to iTunes and clicked RESTORE, and it downloaded the OS and reinstalled the iPad from scratch. After that, I've been able to auto-connect to my Time Capsule N. Hopefully it stays this way. I can also turn WiFi off and on in the Settings menu, and it immediately connects to my network without me having to tap it. :)

ALSO, I am now able to connect to public WiFi network (one that requires you login). Before then, it just told me "Safari can't connect because you've got no Internet connection" (or whatever it says to that effect). After the restore, it works like it does on my iPhone.

So, for those with the above issue, RESTORE your iPad! Not sure why it shipped this way, but it seems this fixes it!

However, still 39mbit on wireless N, bizarrely, which I'm pretty sure is Apple's doing.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
William,

I will try that, though I don't think it will
resolve the piss poor WiFi range issue.

Do you hit restore in iTunes or on the iPad
while connected to iTunes?

JasonH

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Every few hours I get prompted for the WEP password. The iPad seems to be forgetting it.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Me too. I think this thing is going back.

Will sit back and wait for the next revision.

I am not certain that this is software fixable.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
William,

I will try that, though I don't think it will
resolve the piss poor WiFi range issue.

Do you hit restore in iTunes or on the iPad
while connected to iTunes?

In iTunes. NOT from the iPad itself. I tried that way too many times to no avail.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Slightly different problem for me. No asking for my password or disconecting but randomly the internet willmstop working but it remains connected to my router signal. Browsing/apps start working again on their own after a few minutes. Anyone with similar problems?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
William,

Keep us posted, Sir.

I shall do so, though I really am surprised that the iPad shipped with these quirks. It's funny to me because Apple really has a TERRIBLE track history when it comes to Bluetooth and WiFi. I used to have numerous Apple BT keyboard disconnects in the past (which now seem to be fixed on my new iMac i7), numerous speed issues with the Time Capsule etc etc, silly Airport Express issues (now fixed with firmware updates) etc etc.

Just crazy to me...

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I'm getting really fast performance on my router, but every 30 seconds I will see the wifi signal on the iPad completely disappear for a split second and then come right back to full strength.

Actually, as I was typing that last line I got a message on the screen saying "connecting" and then it was back to normal a couple seconds later. Weird. Hope this doesn't get worse with time. :/

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I recall having very similar issues with Wi-Fi with my first iPhone, but subsequent software updates fixed those. I imagine they will get this sorted out similarly.

bdesign7

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have the exact same problems at my college. On my iPhone I log in, it pops up a "will you accept the certificate" thingy, I hit accept and I have to re-login, but it works. On my MacBook I log in, accept the certificate and I'm in. On my iPad I log in...and nothing. It locks up and I have to hit the home button to get out. I'm actually glad to see that I'm not the only one with the issue, gives me hope that it's something that can be fixed easily. I'll try turning wifi on and off later when I get a minute, but I'm guessing it won't help.

bdesign7

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2005
Chicago, IL
Seeing how much my iPod Touch's WiFi reception sucks, this isn't really a surprise to see another Apple product released over-priced and under-tested.

Early Apple adopters...when will you learn?

My favorite user comment concerning bad WiFi reception:

"You just need to turn off the Magic dampers in your house." LOL! Hilarious, magic my ass.

Did you really go through the trouble of creating an account just to be stupid? Man, must be nice to have that kind of time to waste.

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
Ran on about 10 hotspots today - bus, train, work, home, starbucks, public library - no problems. It's those dang universities ! ;) Sorry to hear it pals.

HenMaster6000

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2003
I think I've got a fix for this. I was having the same problem at my university, which uses a page to get your username and password. I turned off autofill for all fields and passwords, and I emptied cookies cache and history. Worked for me the next time. It kind of sucks that we can't use those features, but hopefully apple will have a real fix out soon and things will be back to normal.

bdesign7

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2005
Chicago, IL
Ran on about 10 hotspots today - bus, train, work, home, starbucks, public library - no problems. It's those dang universities ! ;) Sorry to hear it pals.

I think you're right. I've had no problems at home, work or a couple other wifi spots. I'll have to check the bar by my house tonight too. I still love this thing, but I was looking forward to showing it to a few friends that were interested in it and I felt stupid not being able to log in today.

WesleyB

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I have a Linksys WRT400N. Went to the Linksys forums and searched for iPhone dropped signal and found the following settings. I was getting dropped both on the iPad and my 3GS before making these changes.

Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz
change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz

Under the Advanced Wireless Settings...
Change the Beacon Interval to 75
Fragmentation Threshold to 2304
RTS Threshold to 2307

...and Click on Save Settings

I was getting dropped every 15-20 minutes originally. Not a single drop since I made those changes. I am going to suggest going to the support website for your router and seeing if that community has settings that might work better for you. It is totally rock solid and fast now.

DarthSimon

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2007
Running for about 2 hours now... Wifi via a Lynksys N routers is full strength no issues... Sitting on my lap in the apple case....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.