Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
My apologies if this is on the wrong forum - the topic seemed pretty iPad-centric, but you never know. . . .:)

Obviously, the iPad has no ethernet port, so using it at a hotel with only wired internet is out of the question without some workaround. I was considering taking my Airport Express with me to the hotel, hooking the hotel's ethernet into the Airport Express and creating a wif-fi hotspot in my room.

My question: will I also need to bring my laptop to set up the Airport Express in the room? I know I had to do some set-up when I installed it in my condo, and obviously the iPad doesn't have the Airport Utility (so I wouldn't even be able to set up a new password, etc., if I needed to). Or will the Airport Express "just work" when I plug it into a new location (i.e., remember the settings I previously set up, even though its been unplugged from the wall a day or two?)

Thanks for any assistance or thoughts in advance.

M

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
While you may encounter the oddball hotel setup, for the most part I've been able to just plug my Airport Express in at a hotel and get online. You'll still have to go through hotel's activation page - confirm the billing, etc. - but it's almost always worked without going through the Airport setup app on my Macbook.

I've got my travel Airport Express preset to a simple config (an SSID that hopefully won't draw too much attention, WPA2 secure password, DHCP-assigned IP address and such).

Try it somewhere where you can get it setup - have both your laptop and your iPad available to get things working, then try plugging it in elsewhere and see if you get the iPad online without using the Macbook. Always do a dry run before taking it on the road if you'll have bo ability to adjust it later.

Just hope that the hotel's login/confirmation page doesn't use Flash!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I plan to set up an airport express in my moms house. So I can't set it up ahead. It will be pppoe.

Is there by now an app for this?

Or can I use someBodies box to set up an airport express?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.