Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I am curious, I know i can view PDF files in my email box and what not, but can i save them to my iPad? Say if i wanted to pull up a certain PDF file, rather then searching my mailbox can i save it directly to the iPad? or no?

Not sure if this was covered, Thanks.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've yet to find something better than GoodReader... and it's only .99. Well worth it

utcoug

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
GoodReader

I am curious, I know i can view PDF files in my email box and what not, but can i save them to my iPad? Say if i wanted to pull up a certain PDF file, rather then searching my mailbox can i save it directly to the iPad? or no?

Not sure if this was covered, Thanks.

I was going to say GoodReader but someone beat me to it. It is awesome and at only a buck you won't find any better.

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
Second for using Goodreader. I bought iPDF first and didn't like using it to download from the web at all.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
It's hard to believe a buck can buy such a complex and thorough App.:eek:

Seriously. Sam turned me onto this, and looking at the feature set on the company website makes my headspin.

You really can get files in and out of iDisk, googledocs, and dropbox.

There's still a 'wall' b/t the iWork apps and iDisk, gd, db. And no hook b/t goodreader and iWork app (or iWork.com...) but either one and we've sort of solved the no-filesystem thing.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Another vote for good reader. However I wish there was a way to rename files in goodreader.

edit: nm apparently you can! http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-manage.html

This app is amazing. Even though it uses the old "folder structure" for the iPad, this is excellent for getting stuff out and in.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
If someone sends me a pdf as a mail attachement, can goodreader access it to view it?

I cant believe the iPad cant read a pdf from an email...

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
If someone sends me a pdf as a mail attachement, can goodreader access it to view it?

I cant believe the iPad cant read a pdf from an email...

The ipad will open it natively, you don't need an app to read it. But you do need an app to save it locally, goodreader can do that.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
If i get a Email with a PDF attachment i can view it on the iPad no problem. What i am wondering is, Can i SAVE that PDF file, delete the email and then be able to open that PDF later on? email it? send it to someone? etc?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
If i get a Email with a PDF attachment i can view it on the iPad no problem. What i am wondering is, Can i SAVE that PDF file, delete the email and then be able to open that PDF later on? email it? send it to someone? etc?

Not without another application that will take in your e-mail and get the attachment.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
The ipad will open it natively, you don't need an app to read it. But you do need an app to save it locally, goodreader can do that.

When I attempt to open a pdf from the mail app (a gmail account) I get the message "Mail Cannot Open This Attachement"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.