Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Hey guys,

Thought I'd pass on this bug that was discovered by (Bob) from the Apple discussion forums. I have been having trouble trying to get my original Apple BT keyboard to pair with the iPad and it appears to be a software glitch.

From (Bob):
...What seems to be happening is the keyboard tries to pair, but the dialog that tells you what number to type in doesn't appear or come to the front.

If you hit return, you will see the dialog pop up for half a second, before it goes away and says "Cannot pair". My guess is if we could tell what number it was asking for and typed it in before hitting enter, all would be well.

I have no idea why the dialog would behave differently for this keyboard, but it seems too...

So, if you have an A1016 Keyboard you're trying to use, don't waste $70 on a new one; this could be a simple software fix. I already submitted a bug report on the iPad feedback page.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have a feeling it’s not a bug.

There’s no doubt the first generation Apple BT keyboard uses an older version of Bluetooth spec, while the new one uses a later spec. It’s quite plausible (and extremely likely) the iPad requires a device with a newer profile.

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I have a feeling it’s not a bug.

There’s no doubt the first generation Apple BT keyboard uses an older version of Bluetooth spec, while the new one uses a later spec. It’s quite plausible (and extremely likely) the iPad requires a device with a newer profile.

I think it is a bug. I can use a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard that is even older than the plastic Apple one, so I would think any Bluetooth keyboard should work fine, unless Apple is just being greedy and not letting their older keyboards work the way they should because they want you to buy a new one.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
my thinkoutside stow away bluetooth keyboard will be awsome with my new ipad :) When it arrives :(

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
old big apple white keyboard

Most definitely a bug. I've had a white apple keyboard paired to a mac mini and a macbook pro. Went in and removed both bluetooth from each. Even went in and removed other devices unknown from the list.

Nothing worked. Tried to even film the brief numbers that come up and enter but they change each time and no luck there either with entering.

It's a bug and Apple needs to come up with a solution. The old apple white keyboards work with everything and the iPad doesn't allow the connecting numbers to stay on the screen so you can enter the data and connect.

Oddly, even though disconnected from both other machines, the keyboard still comes up as under my name. Thought it would show as just a keyboard but it shows the name with keyboard.

If Apple doesn't fix it, will probably get a third party folding keyboard like the old Palm type. No use in rewarding the guilty here. :p

papatekus

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
CA
How to pair ipad and First Generation Bluetooth Keyboard

You can use iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard for wireless typing, or Bluetooth headphones for wireless listening.
Pairing Bluetooth Devices
You must first pair the keyboard or headphones with iPad before you can use them.
Pair a Bluetooth device with iPad:
Follow the instructions that came with the keyboard or headphones to make it discoverable.
In Settings, choose General > Bluetooth, and turn Bluetooth on.
Select the keyboard or headphones and if prompted, enter the passkey or PIN number. See the instructions about the passkey or PIN that came with your keyboard or headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.