Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I noticed this last night before I went to bed, but forgot. It was about 45 minutes off last night. This morning, it is 8:30am as I type, but the iPad says it's 1:05am.

This doesn't seem like it bodes well. Anyone?

Going to try a sync.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Sync fixed it, but that was a lot of time to lose considering I certainly would have been sync'ing a lot yesterday afternoon. Something to keep an eye on.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Final note: the total amount of 'lost' time seems to correspond to the time my iPad was turned off (i.e., in sleep, not actually shut down) but not plugged in. Surely that can't be working as intended, heh.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
Glad you got it figured out... but keep us updated. Hopefully it was just a fluke! :confused:

poe8

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I had the same issue, it was off by 5 hours - I then re-synched it and it went back to the actual time, but reverted a bit later. Then checked my Mac and it's time was now off by 5 hours to match the iPad. Not sure which was causing which, but I'm watching it now. Maybe a bug on either end....

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I'm have an appt. at Apple today for my MacBook, going to ask the guy/gal if they've heard about this yet. I'm not quite ready to ask for an exchange yet but I want to let them know it's happening. Will post again if I hear anything useful.

Debating whether to take my iPad with me, but I'm leaving in half an hour and the time looks fine (despite leaving the iPad in sleep mode for 30 minutes), so bringing it won't accomplish much.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Conspiracy alert: Intentional "feature" to warp time on the iPad. Helps make users think their battery life is amazing.

Just a theory. ;)

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Trance ??

Users could get "target fixation syndrome" and "subliminal flicker hypnosis" and be in a trance like state for up to 5 hours, thus losing time.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I had the same issue, but I just went into settings and fixed the time. Will keep you posted on if it happens again.

Rolvag

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
My IPad constantly is loosing time. I went to bed last night at 12am. this morning (7:30am) my IPad showed 12:05am. This went on for about a 1/2hr then it suddenly set to correct time.

Definitely an issue IMHO

LKeighty4

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Georgia
I'm also having this problem. It seems to not keep the time when it's in sleep mode.... When I first used my iPad this morning it basically stated the last time I had used it, not the current time. I went away, came back, and the time had "fixed" itself. Solutions?

Vanderpoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
iPad losing time

My clock is also freezing when I put it in sleep mode. Just started after my last sync. I can try a resync, but it sounds like a patch is in order, and fast! Very frustrating!

tooheycohen

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
Time freezes

I'm having the same time problems. When I turn on the iPad in the morning, it shows the time I turned it off the previous night. After 15 or so minutes, it shows the right time. I'm not sure how to report this bug to Apple. Thanks.

seanatki

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2003
Just want to add that my iPad is experiencing the same issue. I "fixed" the clock last night (manually set the correct time) and this morning it was off by about an hour. Sucks that this is happening, but glad I'm not alone.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
OP here. I haven't had this recur, but I've also fallen into the habit of plugging in the iPad before I go to bed. Are you all experiencing this with the iPad plugged or unplugged?

I mentioned this to an Apple store person on Monday, was unsurprised to hear she hadn't heard of it at that time, she said what they usually say "it'll probable be a software problem"...and then I forgot about it because it never happened again, until this thread start getting bumped.

Maybe I'll try to leave it unplugged tonight and see if I can re-create the problem consistently.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I'm going to guess that in order to achieve the long stand by time on battery, they shut off the wifi chip, or out it in to some ultra low power mode that stops syncing time.

I'm wondering if the iPad uses a feature similar to the desktops where it can automatically sync time from a wifi broadcast. Sort of like when you travel to a different time zone, the Mac will fix the time based on available wifi signals.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I'm going to guess that in order to achieve the long stand by time on battery, they shut off the wifi chip, or out it in to some ultra low power mode that stops syncing time

But waking up to a clock that is 7 hours off and won't be fixed until you *physically* sync (in my experience) doesn't sound like something that is working as intended. Does it?

seanatki

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2003
OP here. I haven't had this recur, but I've also fallen into the habit of plugging in the iPad before I go to bed. Are you all experiencing this with the iPad plugged or unplugged?

Last night was the first time I didn't plug it in to charge overnight, and that is when I first noticed the problem. So it may have something to do with being plugged-in/not plugged-in. There is a thread in the apple.com forum about this as well.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2392277&tstart=0

Vanderpoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
So far so good

I synced again on the 7th, and so far my clock has been back to normal. It was definitely tied to the sleep mode. I tend to keep my battery charged more now, perhaps it happens in a lower battery range? Who knows!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Mine has not lost any time since day 1. Are you guys leaving wifi on or off? I leave wifi on, so it might be re-synching quickly from the Apple time servers etc when you bring it out of sleep.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
When I had the 7hr loss, wifi was definitely on. I was able to web surf and whatnot the next morning, but the time would not fix till I sync'd with my macbook.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure it syncs with apples time servers if you leave wifi on...kind of like how cell phones do the same thing. I always have wifi on so if there is a problem with the hardware clock I wouldn't know about it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.