Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
With iPhone OS 4.0, what exactly is going to be the difference between the iPhone and the iPad? Are we going to see a customized iPad 4.0 OS as Fall approaches, or will they be running identical operating systems? If that's the case, then wow. I was hoping for an expose like multi-tasking a few substantial features that would give some differentiation besides screen size. I mean, even the iPhone will now have iBooks.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
So why is the iPad better? In terms of the overall experience, it’s better because it’s screen quality is amazing. It’s like viewing images/the web/etc. on a mini iMac screen. Colors are great and images are tack sharp. Also, the fluidity and user experience is much better because it’s faster and the extra screen real estate allows for more growth within applications. It’s a solid machine and a joy to use and that’s what Apple excels at.

So how is it NOT like an iPhone? This was the deal breaker for me in terms of to 3g or not? Part of me still wants to shell out the extra dough for the 3g version later this month, but a bigger part of me said the iPhone is the be connected, stay connected device. Maybe later down the line, when I want to cancel one of my gym memberships (sorry 24 hour fitness), I’ll pick up a 3g version, but right now, I don’t want it. Introduce a dual plan between the iPad/Phone and it’s golden, but at this moment, I think it’s retarded they don’t have some kind of special rate for current iPhone customers.

So again, how is it NOT like an iPhone? Well the major difference between the two is convenience. The iPhone is there with me at all times, staying connected 24/7. If I’m walking and wanna tweet something, do a FB update, view maps, or check email, I’m not going to bust out my damn iPad from my big ass pocket and tweet and walk. My trusty iPhone will do the trick and will do it well. The iPad is for a more luxurious way of doing those things.

That’s what the iPad is for me. A better experience for things I can already do or have, BUT, at the same time provide unique little touches that I really can’t do with an iPhone, laptop, or desktop. So it’s a win win situation for me.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Yes but this is a big iPhone now essentially. The only thing it has over the iPhone is screen size. It's kind of frustrating as an Ipad owner. How exactly is this the bridge between the iphone and MBP when everything you can do on the ipad you can do on iPhone?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Yes but this is a big iPhone now essentially. The only thing it has over the iPhone is screen size. It's kind of frustrating as an Ipad owner. How exactly is this the bridge between the iphone and MBP when everything you can do on the ipad you can do on iPhone?

It's all in the apps. You just have to give the developers time to come up with the killer apps that will make the ipad 'lustable'.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

How is it different now other than iBooks. For the MOST part, the iPad is a bigger iPod touch/iPhone. Nothing's changed. They are running in parallel.

What makes the difference is the same thing that's always been difference. With a bigger screen comes better experiences

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
The same reason that people own both MacBooks and iMacs. You can take a Macbook anywhere with you, and use it at home. However, people still want the nice 27" screen with faster processing power at home if they can afford it. While a MacBook (or any laptop) can do everything an iMac (any desktop) can do, many own both.

The bottom-line. If you want one device that does it all, just get an iPhone. If you have too much money, then buy the iPad too. It's a lot of fun.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
The same reason that people own both MacBooks and iMacs. You can take a Macbook anywhere with you, and use it at home. However, people still want the nice 27" screen with faster processing power at home.

The bottom-line. If you want one device that does it all, just get an iPhone. If you have too much money, then buy the iPad too. It's a lot of fun.
Huge difference there. An iphone/ ipad is extremely limited in what it can do. I cant even upload powerpoints to keynote and take notes on them. That is just dumb. It really is an iphone with a larger screen.

You cant take an iMac anywhere with you. You can with a MBP. thats why you get one. You can already take the iphone with you, why do you need something that just gives you a bigger screen. For some "better experience". Its not that much better, its just more screen space..

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
It's also perplexing that Apple would steal the iPad's thunder by focusing on a more iPhone-centric announcement, especially without any hints that 4.0 would be any different than the OS on the iPhone. They pretty much slowed down a lot of the hype momentum that was surrounding the iPad this past week.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Huge difference there. An iphone/ ipad is extremely limited in what it can do. I cant even upload powerpoints to keynote and take notes on them. That is just dumb. It really is an iphone with a larger screen.

You cant take an iMac anywhere with you. You can with a MBP. thats why you get one. You can already take the iphone with you, why do you need something that just gives you a bigger screen. For some "better experience". Its not that much better, its just more screen space..

I am not comparing iPad to Mac computers. I am comparing the difference between iPhone vs. iPad to the difference between MB vs. iMac. "Bigger screen and faster speed" will describe both.

Somehow, to some of you, it's OK to own both in one case but not the other. Try browsing the web for hours on the couch with an iPhone, then you'll appreciate the iPad.

hazmatzak

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
With iPhone OS 4.0, what exactly is going to be the difference between the iPhone and the iPad? Are we going to see a customized iPad 4.0 OS as Fall approaches, or will they be running identical operating systems?

When "4.1" is released for iPad in the fall, it's not clear whether the same binary will also run on iPhone. There are advantages to having and maintaining only one bunch of bits, as long as it's not much bigger.

There will still be functionality that only makes sense on iPad, primarily because of the larger screen; for example, those popup list panes and the split views.

That in turn means that there will always be iPad-only apps, or universal apps where the iPad version is distinctly better. And that will be a primary differentiator.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010

Really?

Look at iWorks, look at elements xe, look at the new and improved iCal, mail, and just about every single iPad app. Tell me you can do ALL those things the same on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

It's like saying driving a VW bug is the same as driving a Mercedes. Hey, if all you see is something to get you there, you're right, you should save your money and stick with the list of capabilities.

You use the iPhone/iPod because it's an amazing little machine that fits in your pocket and you can take everywhere with you. You use your iPad because you want to, because you can accomplish a lot more, a lot faster, with a lot better experience.

I spend a lot of time doing simple computing tasks everyday. The iPad is the best, most intimate, most fun way to accomplish them.

So, yeah, the bigger better screen, the better apps, the faster speed...you bet it's worth it.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I am not comparing iPad to Mac computers. I am comparing the difference between iPhone vs. iPad to the difference between MB vs. iMac. "Bigger screen and faster speed" will describe both.

Somehow, to some of you, it's OK to own both in one case but not the other. Try browsing the web for hours on the couch with an iPhone, then you'll appreciate the iPad.

Good point on the comfort factor. But 4.0 as it looks now is... Disappointing. It simply doesn't utilize the scree real estate. An expose or webOS like multitasking interface would have been amazing. Widgets or a customizable home screen (like android) would have also differentiated the ipad from the iPhone. I don't like the idea of having the same exact OS on two devices.

jrzuniga

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
the real difference

the real difference is lets say u r traveling and want to watch a movie r u going to waste your iphone battery watching a movie? nope u wont be able to make phone calls later... if u want to play a game that uses a lot of power for a couple of hours ur iphone battery would be dead!! instead use the ipad ..

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Apps.

You can't do this on a MacBook (drawing - you can do the typing slightly faster, though); well, you can, but it'll be harder.
The iPhone's screen is too small for this.
Notes_Plus_Artwork.png

(But, yes: the home screen for the iPad needs to be a bit more desktop-y; and by that, I mean a Honeycomb style UI).

jeanne19

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
phones

At first glance, the iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and iPod touch may look very similar to each other. After all, they use the same operating system, run the same apps, and look like larger and smaller versions of each other. But are they really the same?

A close look at the hardware and software features of each device reveals them to be very different indeed. One is a phone, the others aren't. One offers a big screen, the others are palm-sized.

The chart below shows how these three devices stack up against each other in terms of hardware and software features.

You may also want to see how the devices compare in terms of long-term costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.