Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Ok, so now our options for double clicking the home button are Home, Search, Favorites, Camera, iPod, and now multitasking??? 6 options?

And if we DON'T want to use double click to go to multitasking what happens... we just lose multitasking all together? Many people have gotten used to and like being able to use the double click for our favorites or for the camera... and now we need to ditch that if we want to use the most desired feature of 4.0??? really? I mean, REALLY?

It just seems like a pretty clunky afterthought to throw another double click option at us. Surely apple could have implemented something nicer.

Personally I think for multitasking they should use some sort of 3 finger gesture. Either a 3 finger swipe up (and keep the dock-like implementation apple chose) or a 3 finger zoom out (which would then zoom out to showing all active apps at once. imagine the tabs view in mobile safari. Per https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/891202/).

Additionally I think apple should add a dedicated camera button. That would solve the other double home button issue and this would make the iphone much more usable as a camera.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Agreed, triple or quad click ftw. JK lol how about hold the home button down instead?

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
3 finger swiping for multitasking? Try doing that with one hand and get back to me.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Three-finger swipe gestures are already used by the Accessibility "Screen Zoom" option.

I agree they need something else besides a double-click Home button. Since the 3-finger swipe is taken, how about Home+Volume Up (or Down) to bring up multitasking?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Sometimes I have my iPhone in my hand and other stuff in the other. It would be pretty ridiculous to have to put stuff down to be able to multitask.

well keep in mind we have to consider the ipad as well

i know that i commonly use 2 hands when using the iphone

however, proswitcher allows one to hold the menu bar to activate multitasking in a sense. that could be a cool solution

edit: any reason you couldnt use a one finger swipe *up* or *down* to activate it/browse active apps?

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
There is also a tap home button twice and hold the second tap to bring up something like iPod controls or camera.

Tap, Tap = Multitasking

Tap, Tap + Hold = iPod Controls

I don't know if this will be in the final release, but it currently works.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
There is also a tap home button twice and hold the second tap to bring up something like iPod controls or camera.

Tap, Tap = Multitasking

For me Tap, Tap + Hold goes to the phone favorites.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
For me Tap, Tap + Hold goes to the phone favorites.

Well, yea. It goes to whatever you had set as your default for Tap, Tap before upgrading to OS 4.0. My girlfriend's goes to camera for example.

Point is you currently get two shortcuts. "Tap, Tap" and "Tap, Tap + Hold."

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Tap, Tap = Multitasking

Or they could do that ;) Seems logical.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Three-finger swipe gestures are already used by the Accessibility "Screen Zoom" option.

I agree they need something else besides a double-click Home button. Since the 3-finger swipe is taken, how about Home+Volume Up (or Down) to bring up multitasking?

Hmm... I didn't know about that. Well I'd be ok with taking out accessibility ;) or the 3 finger zoom out perhaps; is that taken?

Home+volume seems like it would be awkward to me.. Not a fan

I just did it. what now?

phone on the table? ;)

you do have 2 hands

exactly

Sometimes I have my iPhone in my hand and other stuff in the other. It would be pretty ridiculous to have to put stuff down to be able to multitask.

I don't see how that would be ridiculous at all. A lot of things need two hands to work well. Also, I've noticed I tend to have the iphone laying on the table when I have one hand occupied, which makes 3 finger swiping very easy as was referenced above by blancoBronco.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
This is not an answer.

It is also why you don't work for Apple.

Heaven forbid Apple ever requires a gesture requiring 2 hands. Would probably be touted as a great solution too by the resident apple lovers

The difference is that the iphone OS is no longer restricted to one handed devices

Keep in mind, the 2/3/4 finger gestures are already present in the glass trackpads. Apple may like to keep similar functionality across the devices.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Technically you're multitasking without double tapping. You can still go the home-screen-first route and the app still stays in the background. Double tapping home is just an app switcher.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I don't see how that would be ridiculous at all. A lot of things need two hands to work well. Also, I've noticed I tend to have the iphone laying on the table when I have one hand occupied, which makes 3 finger swiping very easy s was referenced above by blancoBronco.

So if I'm outside going somewhere and I have shopping bags in one hand, you think it makes sense that I have to put them down in order to do the three finger swipe, pick them up, and go on my way again? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of multitasking?

I'm glad you don't work for Apple...

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster

Tap, Tap = Multitasking

Umm.... the tap, tap and tap, tap + hold yield the same results. I don't see any reason to believe this changes in 4.0. I'm not saying that apple WON'T make the multitasking tap, tap and still allow you to customize a tap, tap +hold, but I don't see anything suggesting that they will. They currently operate as the exact same function. I do find it unlikely that apple will do that though because I feel that would cause too many difficulties on the user. PLUS the main reason is the iphone would need to have a second or so delay on the tap, tap action because the iphone would be waiting to see if you were gonna hold. Then it take more time to realize you aren't holding it, creating lag. I don't think apple would like this.

BUT you do remind me of one of the main points that I mean to include initially but I forgot. I use double tap for favs, but I use iPod WHILE music is playing. Is apple really not going to let you have ipod control while listening to music?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Umm.... the tap, tap and tap, tap + hold yield the same results. I don't see any reason to believe this changes in 4.0. I'm not saying that apple WON'T make the multitasking tap, tap and still allow you to customize a tap, tap +hold, but I don't see anything suggesting that they will.

I have 4.0 and tap, tap + hold is different than just tap, tap. For me the tap, tap + hold goes to phone favorites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.