Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I was just browsing the FAQ and came across a link to a Frappr map. This website appears to have since closed down, so I think it should be removed. The site itself does not load, and a few sites I found from a quick Google search confirmed the site was due to close. :(

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It does seem to be gone. Anybody know more about the status of Frappr?

Assuming it's gone, is there a similar service that doesn't require invitations?

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
It was bought out by an outfit named Platial in 2007 and Feb. 27, 2010 they announced it would be shut down "in a few days" (all per Wikipedia). I guess the few days are up. That's a pity; it was a cool little utility. :(

ETA: Went up on Platial's webpage; they seem to be mainly into gathering geographical data for businesses to exploit. According to their blog, they were oh-so-sorry to let Frappr go, but gosh, life as a start-up is *so* busy and they couldn't keep up with it. It seems a little silly to acquire something with no idea of what use you're going to make of it other than to neglect it until you decide to kill it off. They were evidently offering back in December some of the Frappr users the ability to keep their maps up for a year for a fee or allow them to download the map data for offline use only. Other than that, adios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.