Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I have iTunes set up to manually sync apps & find it so unApple how all apps in the sync menu are lumped together in one long list. Am I overlooking a setting or checkbox? Seems there should be two app sync lists: iPhone/touch and iPad.

Just for clarification I'm not talking about when you click on the Applications Library -- that is sorted iPhone and iPad. I talking about when you plug your iPad into your computer and click on the Apps in the horizontal tab menu.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The way iTunes manages apps in general is garbage.

The appstore setup is garbage to. How about wishlists, shopping lists, friends so that you can see what they bought and how they rated it.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Nope, because I don't use iPhone anymore LOL Sorry couldn't resist but I do hope they will fix this for all the folks still using iPhones.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
How about wishlists, shopping lists, friends so that you can see what they bought and how they rated it.

Or, you could talk to them. If you need iTunes to do that then I don't think they are your friends. I'm not ready for social networking to invade everything I do online.

Sorry, I'm feeling bitchy tonight.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I was trying to activate my pad on 10.4os on my sync comp, but no go.
Had to use my win doze comp and now i'm happy I did to keep the apps seprate.
I'll be keeping all the crap apps off my pad this go round.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I agree both that iTunes' app handling is poor, and that iPad apps should be kept separate. For that matter, I think it's time iTunes itself got a major redesign (and a name change with it.) I've no problem these days with the way it handles music, but the way video and apps have been shoehorned into it leaves much to be desired.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Or, you could talk to them. If you need iTunes to do that then I don't think they are your friends. I'm not ready for social networking to invade everything I do online.

Sorry, I'm feeling bitchy tonight.

Fair enough but I still want a shopping list for my own personal use. Many times I hear about an app and want to (A) download later when I am on wifi, (B) download it when it is cheaper.

Sure I could get a app that does this but it would be nice in the AppStore.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Hey Chupa Chupa, not alone on this one. I want different apps on my iPhone than I have on the iPad, but some I want on both. In the horizontal tab, they should separate or designate them like they do in the app library. Maybe the next iTunes update?

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I totally agree about the way it is not separated out. It is really annoying. What is more. I also found that an app I downloaded for my iPad ( marvel comic reader) was then installed onto my iphone when I syncyed that with iTunes. I never even told iTunes I wanted to synch that with my phone!

iTunes really needs some reworking done on it now more than ever!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
I totally agree about the way it is not separated out. It is really annoying. What is more. I also found that an app I downloaded for my iPad ( marvel comic reader) was then installed onto my iphone when I syncyed that with iTunes. I never even told iTunes I wanted to synch that with my phone!

iTunes really needs some reworking done on it now more than ever!

When I saw that iTunes tried to load Angry Birds HD to my iPhone I though "Geee Steve, iTunes is truly an oxymoron..."

Surely, there must be a way to create a profile for my iPhone and one for my iPad. It's not only about the apps - I may want photos synced to 1st iDevice but not to the 2nd one, same for Notes, email etc. I find it very hard to believe Apple didn't think of this...:confused:

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I am confused by this thread. On my iTunes I have 4 categories of apps separated by a horizontal bar:

iPhone, Touch, and iPad apps (universal apps)
iPhone and Touch apps
iPad apps
iPod games

Are you asking for something different? I don't have an iPad yet but I have downloaded some apps in anticipation of 3G iPad.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Also... (again i dont have iPad yet)
doesn't the iPad show up as another device, just like you had two iPhones or an iPhone and a touch? Don't you have an applications tab for each device in which you choose which applications to put on the device?

I just don't understand this thread given my point in this post and my previous.

kes601

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
Yep, I hate that everything gets lumped together as well.

They should at least have given us the options of:

1) Sync all iPad ONLY Apps

and

2) Sync all Apps

By only giving us option 2 it meant a lot of unclicking of Apps on the first sync.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
I am confused by this thread. On my iTunes I have 4 categories of apps separated by a horizontal bar:

iPhone and Touch apps
iPad apps
iPod games

Are you asking for something different? I don't have an iPad yet but I have downloaded some apps in anticipation of 3G iPad.

You're right, if I click the Program Library, top left in iTunes I get exactly the list you're referring to.

However, if I connect either of my iDevices and click my way through to the Application syncronization tab they are all lumped together, if I select an iPad-app while the iPhone is connect it would try and sync that to my iPhone --> Fail.

Anyway, I took a look at a friends iTunes installation and seems as if mine was all botched. I re-installed iTunes and low and behold; if I connect my iPad I see the iPad-specific apps and vice versa with the iPhone. My guess is that the Thread Starter would be will advised to re-install as well :D

iTunes does manage iDevice profiles after all.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Absolutely agree. Bloody atrocious.

even with the fairly new app manager that they added in the device portion of itunes??? seems that was a HUGE improvement. The folders that will come with 4.0 will be great, but i still feel like I am missing something about the complaints here.

You just check mark which apps you want on each device and move it around in iTunes to precisely which page on your device you want it? Seems pretty easy to me? from the recent post i guess people are frustrated by the "all apps" options. I have tons of apps but i don't find it that difficult to check mark which apps i want on each device

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
even with the fairly new app manager that they added in the device portion of itunes??? seems that was a HUGE improvement. The folders that will come with 4.0 will be great, but i still feel like I am missing something about the complaints here.

You just check mark which apps you want on each device and move it around in iTunes to precisely which page on your device you want it? Seems pretty easy to me? from the recent post i guess people are frustrated by the "all apps" options. I have tons of apps but i don't find it that difficult to check mark which apps i want on each device

The frustration I ventilated was simply because iTunes decided to even give me an option to sync iPad apps to my iPhone. Sifting through apps in the sync tab isn't fun... when there are 300+ it's even less fun...

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010

iPhone and Touch apps
iPad apps
iPod games

Huh - where do you get this mate?

All I get is click on apps and all my iPad apps are right at the bottom out of sight??? been annoying me ever since!

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I have iTunes set up to manually sync apps & find it so unApple how all apps in the sync menu are lumped together in one long list. Am I overlooking a setting or checkbox? Seems there should be two app sync lists: iPhone/touch and iPad.

Just for clarification I'm not talking about when you click on the Applications Library -- that is sorted iPhone and iPad. I talking about when you plug your iPad into your computer and click on the Apps in the horizontal tab menu.
A big +1 from me.

I have honestly just given up and put them all on both my iPhone an iPad.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
this is what i mean regarding the categories of apps.... if I scroll up from that picture you would see a section for 'iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad' apps

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-09 at 1.40.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-09 at 1.40.00 PM.png
    326.9 KB · Views: 236

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
this is what i mean regarding the categories of apps.... if I scroll up from that picture you would see a section for 'iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad' apps

The complaint is that when you go to select what applications you want on your iPad (or iPhone, or iPod) they are all listed in one long list and you have to check (or uncheck) each app.

Personally, since you only have to do this once, and iPad-only apps won't sync anywhere else, I don't really see the hardship.

Besides, if you discover you've accidentally synced an unwanted iPhone app to your iPad, all you have to do is delete it off the iPad and iTunes will remember that for you.

Could it be better? - sure. Is it a big deal? - I don't think so.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.