Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Im seriously considering returning my 32 GB iPad to best buy. Why? Cause i find myself asking, do I have to have this? My answer is clearly no. I dont see a reason why I couldnt just wait till a new better one comes out. I LOVE using it rather than my macbook but im just having a hard time thinking it is worth paying $630 and it does what my macbook does and less. Does anyone know if Best Buy does a stocking fee on these? Im not a silver member or anything but wasnt sure if these qualified for a stocking fee or not...any help would be appreciated!

benj07

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Im seriously considering returning my 32 GB iPad to best buy. Why? Cause i find myself asking, do I have to have this? My answer is clearly no. I dont see a reason why I couldnt just wait till a new better one comes out. I LOVE using it rather than my macbook but im just having a hard time thinking it is worth paying $630 and it does what my macbook does and less. Does anyone know if Best Buy does a stocking fee on these? Im not a silver member or anything but wasnt sure if these qualified for a stocking fee or not...any help would be appreciated!

15% restocking fee.

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
thanks...i will try to use the wifi excuse, not to mention, the think black thing around the bezel is popping up a bit on mine.

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Do you need a smartphone when regular clamshells can easily make calls? Do you need premium cable channels, super fast Internet, automobiles with additional bells and whistles like gps, installed TVs, and so forth?

Point is, you purchased a luxury item fir $600 some odd dollars, nothing you needed, but someone you still seem to enjoy none the less. If you want to take it back and get 85% of your money back, feel free, but it's worth is dependent on your usage and your overall enjoyment of this additional piece of luxury you allowed for yourself.

Oh god...too many months in a retention department is shining through...just never mind me at all. Lol

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
And just kinda random, but all Apple computer products are 15% restocking fee at BestBuy regardless of silver membership (all that does is extend your return window to 45 days instead of 30 and give you 25% more points). At least that's for the couple of BestBuys I have around here.

vicliner

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Purchased a set of Bose computer speakers a month ago. Ask if there was a restocking fee if I didn't like them and wanted to return. He said it was a misconception and he doesn't know where that comes from. No restocking fee according to this BB employee. At least not here in Canada.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Purchased a set of Bose computer speakers a month ago. Ask if there was a restocking fee if I didn't like them and wanted to return. He said it was a misconception and he doesn't know where that comes from. No restocking fee according to this BB employee. At least not here in Canada.

BestBuy doesn't have a restocking fee for pretty much any product except for open computers, cameras, camcorders, GPS, Apple iPhones, appliances, radar, and in-car video systems. (products like open software, food, etc. are non-returnable)

AndrewHopkins

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
you actually might get more money for it selling it on ebay... and then no restocking fee to worry about. Just a thought. I got mine for the kids and they seem to love it.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

Different rules between the US and Canada. Restocking fee applies in BB USA.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Gee, can you really just take a product back in USA for a refund simply becasue you changed your mind?

In NZ unless it is faulty, or it doesn't do what is was described to do, the shop has no obligation to do anything. (Most will exchange for another product or give you a credit for the shop but not cash)

Anyway, you will probably make more selling it on e-bay to an overseas buyer, unless you've damaged it.

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
Yep, NZ is bad for returns - always buy from the apple store online if you want to return an apple product in NZ, otherwise you are screwed.

The UK is pretty good also for returns.

I go with the other guy who said sell it on Ebay - sounds much easier to me.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
thanks...i will try to use the wifi excuse, not to mention, the think black thing around the bezel is popping up a bit on mine.

taking advantage of a situation for your own benefit when you clearly just tried it and decided you didn't like it. total scumbag move. pay the 15% or sell it online imo.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Different rules between the US and Canada. Restocking fee applies in BB USA.

Like I said, in the USA, you can return anything as long as it's not any of the products listed. I've returned many things from external hard drives to speakers to cables, etc. Told them each time nothing wrong with the product so I'm not making up excuses for them to take it back for free. You can also go into a Best Buy and read their return policy and it doesn't state a restocking fee except for those products.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Pay the restocking fee.

Why should Best Buy take a loss on a new iPad because you have buyer's remorse?

No one held a gun to your head to purchase the thing.

The restocking fee was created for situations like you explained.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I called my local Best Buy this afternoon to find out if I could exchange my 16GB iPad for the 32GB without incurring a restocking fee. I said, "I bought an iPad and I understand there's a 15% restocking fee (it said so on the box)..." She interrupted me before I could say that I wanted to exchange rather than return and said, "Oh, we did away with that."

I bought my first iPad on launch day and there was a sticker that said "15% restocking fee." I bought a second on Friday at the same Best Buy (a gift) and there was no such sticker. Is it likely that they reversed their policy for the iPad?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I bought my first iPad on launch day and there was a sticker that said "15% restocking fee." I bought a second on Friday at the same Best Buy (a gift) and there was no such sticker. Is it likely that they reversed their policy for the iPad?

It's possible. The question is whether Best Buy views the iPad as a computer or not. Tablet PCs still require the restocking fee, but the iPad isn't a full Tablet PC. Maybe a few enough people returned theirs complaining that it was nothing more than a larger iPod touch. Since iPod touches don't have a restocking fee at Best Buy...

Supposedly it's 14 days return with no restocking fee. But it's best to call the store.

Ports

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
Pay the restocking fee.

Why should Best Buy take a loss on a new iPad because you have buyer's remorse?

No one held a gun to your head to purchase the thing.

The restocking fee was created for situations like you explained.

+1:eek:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
lol. try the wifi excuse. Dont mind the old rich moral crusaders here. Best Buy won't go out of business because of it I assure you.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
lol. try the wifi excuse. Dont mind the old rich moral crusaders here. Best Buy won't go out of business because of it I assure you.

It is a form of theft by deception and while BB won't go out of business they do have to rase the prices of products on us honest people to cover the costs of thievery like you are willing to commit. Also they have to pay more in customer service hours to deal with "artificial" problems like this.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK

Sounds like a plan. If there's a slight fault take it back ;) Though in some eyes you've committed a heinous crime of rejecting an iProduct.

My iMac had a slight fault and after a week of owning it I hated the glossy screen, I had no guilt about taking it back. Though in the UK we don't have the restocking issues (when using Apple or John Lewis - crap stores like Comet, Currys or PC Shed probably would get upset)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Sounds like a plan. If there's a slight fault take it back ;) Though in some eyes you've committed a heinous crime of rejecting an iProduct.

My iMac had a slight fault and after a week of owning it I hated the glossy screen, I had no guilt about taking it back. Though in the UK we don't have the restocking issues (with Apple or John Lewis - crap stores like Comet, Currys or PC Shed probably would get upset)

Were are not talking about a product fault but a customer fault. Buyers remorse is a personal problem and not Apple or BB fault.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Were are not talking about a product fault but a customer fault. Buyers remorse is a personal problem and not Apple or BB fault.

ohh boo-hoo for them. He said the bezel was popping up is that a good enough reason to not get charged this heinous "restocking fee"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.