Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
A man who says he suffers from "electromagnetic sensitivities" has sued a neighbor and now former friend in New Mexico state court, seeking $530,000 in damages and a court order requiring her to turn off her wireless electronic devices.

The plaintiff homeowner, Arthur Firstenberg, 59, says he asked defendant Raphaela Monribot, who rents a home near his, to limit her use of the laptop computer, wireless router, iPhone and dimmer switches that are causing him symptoms including nausea, vertigo and heart arrhythmia, reports the Chicago Tribune.

More...

Those crazy people from New Mexico with iPhone allergies, what'll they think of next. ;)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
"Electromagnetic sensitivities" - bummer he was born on Earth with its electromagnetic field. Too bad he hasn't discovered the shielding qualities of the tinfoil pyramidal hat. :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
While it is true people do suffer with that disability I do not think people should have to bend over backwards because of it. Now the guy sueing should have his house electronomaticly shielded. that is mostly involves lining all the walls and roof with an wire like mesh and it makes the house a Faraday cage. It would block all wireless signals coming in from the out side.

The rights of the majority are being interfered on by the minority.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Sensitivity to electromagnetic fields is a known phenomenon. I would think the onus, however, is on him to move not his neighbor.

I doubt she is casting a strong enough electromagnetic field from her various household devices to affect him.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
"Electromagnetic sensitivities" - bummer he was born on Earth with its electromagnetic field. Too bad he hasn't discovered the shielding qualities of the tinfoil pyramidal hat. :rolleyes:

Just going to point out it is a known thing and people do suffer from it. Like I pointed out above it is not that hard to shield ones residents from electromagnetic interference. Hell the wire mesh lining can be inside the walls so one can not see it and it would still do its job and the people who suffer from it the worse things like cell phones will make them sick.

Wireless routers will do it as well. He just needs to shield his house and he would be fine.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
I doubt she is casting a strong enough electromagnetic field from her various household devices to affect him.

He purchased his half of the split duplex (close together), really old home and wiring ... with both homes tied together and his electric meter on her house.

Would think that he'd rewire his house, relocate his meter, and put in a new service panel/ground, plus install foil backed insulation or something on the walls between.

Likely all this would come to a lot less than the initial legal bill.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Now the guy sueing should have his house electronomaticly shielded. that is mostly involves lining all the walls and roof with an wire like mesh and it makes the house a Faraday cage. It would block all wireless signals coming in from the out side.

That would only make you think that you are blocking all the radiation.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Dimmer switches do my head in as I can hear the high pitched buzzing al lthe time. The lower the dimmer the louder the noise. I can also hear my Macs CPUs when they are on. Very subtle high pitched noises that change when they are working (no its not the hard drive).

We also had a TV that I could hear from my driveway when it was on standby. :eek: I could tell if someone had left the TV on before I got it the car. :D

I have to wear earplugs to sleep at night! :eek:

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Sensitivity to electromagnetic fields is a known phenomenon. I would think the onus, however, is on him to move not his neighbor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

According to that although it’s claimed to exist, the medical and scientific communities don’t actually recognize it as a medical or otherwise existent condition. In any case, I agree with you that the responsibility falls on the person who has this affliction, not everyone around him. That’s like telling a private resident he has to build a wheelchair ramp on his property because his neighbor is handicapped. :rolleyes:

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London

It's a known load of crap. The entire world is flooded with EM fields, both natural and otherwise. Every piece of electrical hardware would set the guy off. He says he's been sleeping in his car. If his car is modern, he'll be unlocking it with radio waves.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
He had better not win that case because it's completely ridiculous.

joro said:
That’s like telling a private resident he has to build a wheelchair ramp on his property because his neighbor is handicapped.

Exactly!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Shows what 20+ years of activism in a fringe area will net you.

Image what some of the really active PRSI users will morph into in that time, and what they will be suing the Circle K clerk over. :p

You know you are a nut sack when you get your own activist wiki entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Firstenberg

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Dimmer switches do my head in as I can hear the high pitched buzzing al lthe time. The lower the dimmer the louder the noise. I can also hear my Macs CPUs when they are on. Very subtle high pitched noises that change when they are working (no its not the hard drive).

We also had a TV that I could hear from my driveway when it was on standby. :eek: I could tell if someone had left the TV on before I got it the car. :D

I have to wear earplugs to sleep at night! :eek:

u would have to be inhuman.... r u?

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
Do these people not realise that when alternating current passes through a conductor (I.e. All the wiring in and under a house) it creates an electromagnetic field, let alone all the omnidirectional broadcast radio and tv signals that have been arround for ages. Why is this sensativity thingey a new thing? I just do t buy it!

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
i see where this guy is coming from, but if someone told me to turn our 2 wifi networks of, witch we need for our 8+ laptops and devices (one network is mine and can have 10gb of data going through it at one time, the other is family) i would be quite pi***d off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.