Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amk1369

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the M-Audio AV-40 Desktop speakers. I am a composer who does a fair bit of work with altered audio files (Logic), and I also fool around with making hip-hop beats. Obviously I use notation software as well (Sibelius), and listen to a lot of music. I'm also just finished school within the past year so I'm back living at home with my mom in her apartment, and I don't have a huge amount of money to spend.
When I was at school I had the luxury of using the school studio...8 dynaudio speakers...drool :), however, since I moved back, I've been stuck on headphones, and I've decided that its starting to drive me a bit crazy. It's not terrible for listening, but as I'm sure many people here know, mixing and working on headphones can be very difficult. In an ideal world I would like to get a pair of proper reference monitors, however, its not financially feasible, nor will it work in my current living arrangement. After some research I've come across these AV-40's, the reason being, they seem to be a reasonable balance of monitor/listening speaker (even though I realize that's very difficult to achieve), and also, I can get a pair for about $160.
So this long-winded explanation brings me to my question: does anyone here have any experience with these speakers...if so, how is the sound quality for both listening and working with audio, and also how is the reliabaility.

Thanks so much...

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I have. I personally find them to be a tad bit of a waste, but I'm also not sure what's at the same price range that's a better alternative.

I believe the Apple Store has them, seems like a good place to get a demo?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you are on a tight budge use passive monitors. You get more for you money by waiting for a sale on (say) Polk Audio speakers. I bought a pair of M50 which are great for $50 each. Then you go to the local Salvation Army store and find a vintage stereo amp for $35. Or if you want wait for deals any day you can buy a halfway decent bookself speakers for $100 a pair and get an Audio Sourse AMP100 for $99

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
I want some yamaha hs80m's. However I can't really justify buying them at the moment, with cars and holidays to pay for this summer.

I ordered the Maudio's as a stop gap, I'm not expecting great results but they seemed the best for the low price range.

The should be here today, I'll let you know what I think.

amk1369

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Ended up caving and buying a pair of KRK Rockit 5 monitors. They sound incredible when working in Logic, and I'm pleasantly surprised how well they work for listening in iTunes. Also very affordable - under $200 for each speaker. I would certainly reccomend these to anyone looking for a monitors, and working on a budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.