Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Coming from a Windows background, one of my main concerns with computing is having a virus scanner. I haven't seen a virus scanner in the app store, so is this one more thing I don't have to think about with iPad (even a jailbreak (?) iPad) and other Apple products?

:confused:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If you jailbreak your iPad you do put yourself at a bit of a risk. There was something a while back where people who had jailbroken iPhones without changing the remote access password had their phones remotely locked by a prankster for a while.

supermanx

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
You can copy corrupt files and/or videos that result in a clean and restore.

Had this happen earlier in the week, would only run native programs until I did a restore from backup (even after hard reset).

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Is this not a misconception of 'Mac OS' in general that you simply cannot get a virus because all malware & virii is made for windows.

There are currently no known virii for the iPad but that doesn't mean it wont happen. It probably wont though lol.

xROBERTxDAVISx

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
You can copy corrupt files and/or videos that result in a clean and restore.

Had this happen earlier in the week, would only run native programs until I did a restore from backup (even after hard reset).

Thats not realy a virus just corrupting the use of the software which I had done on my ipod classic and I didnt restore but could no longer put new songs on unless restore but was nearly full anyway.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I think its theoritically possible, but I have never heard of a real virus on a non-jailbroken iphone, and assume the ipad will be just as safe.

The fact Apple locks down the ipad so much makes it pretty much impossible for someone to get a virus onto your ipad. All the apps are approved through the app store, so you can't download anything from there that will have a virus. You also can't download most files from the internet, so you won't accidentally download a virus from a website.

So no need to worry at all about viruses on your ipad, its basically a non-issue.

xROBERTxDAVISx

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think its theoritically possible, but I have never heard of a real virus on a non-jailbroken iphone, and assume the ipad will be just as safe.

The fact Apple locks down the ipad so much makes it pretty much impossible for someone to get a virus onto your ipad. All the apps are approved through the app store, so you can't download anything from there that will have a virus. You also can't download most files from the internet, so you won't accidentally download a virus from a website.

So no need to worry at all about viruses on your ipad, its basically a non-issue.

Using goodreader app you can download any file from any website.

supermanx

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
Thats not realy a virus just corrupting the use of the software which I had done on my ipod classic and I didnt restore but could no longer put new songs on unless restore but was nearly full anyway.

Agreed, but virus infected files can have a negative impact on your device. Restoring 30gb (or more) of data with itunes takes for ever. iPad should not need a virus scanner, but you should scan the files before you sync them to your device.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Windows

Coming from a Windows background, one of my main concerns with computing is having a virus scanner. I haven't seen a virus scanner in the app store, so is this one more thing I don't have to think about with iPad (even a jailbreak (?) iPad) and other Apple products?

:confused:

Every OS ever made can get a virus. Odds with Apple iPad OS very very low. Jailbreak is a hack, one notch about virus in my opinion, but in general due to its origins the virus potential increases significantly. AV software just isn't really needed on Apple Products, but if you can find it use it you can never be too safe. And since you get your apps from Apple they are scanned by Apple everything on you PC or Mac that you sync to you iPad could be scanned on the PC or Mac. If you go Jailbreak you loose these protections. You email sent to you iPad is likely safe also as most providers scan it as it comes in to them. So again if used as designed and sold by Apple 0.00000001% threat and yeah I mad up the percentage the actual odd are likely less.

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
Using goodreader app you can download any file from any website.

But you cant execute any pkg, dmg or exe files and cant unzip files
Look, the ipad doesnt even have a user accessible file system, and cant run apps in the background
So how is a virus going to run in the background and spread between apps?
Like I said, stop thinking of the ipad as a computer running OSX, cos it simply aint

xROBERTxDAVISx

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
But you cant execute any pkg, dmg or exe files and cant unzip files
Look, the ipad doesnt even have a user accessible file system, and cant run apps in the background
So how is a virus going to run in the background and spread between apps?
Like I said, stop thinking of the ipad as a computer running OSX, cos it simply aint

So your saying once the new os comes you think it will get a virus since you can run stuff in the background and have a proper file system??.

BTW computers arent the only things to get a virus. ¬_¬

I realyd ont see why people think that only computers can get virus's.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hackers were able to demonstrate a hack into an iPhone and get access to your contacts and SMS by visiting a malicious website. It's certainly possible.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
On a non-jailbroken iPad, unlikely.

The only way to install an app is through the App Store. Plus, apps have to be signed by both the developer and Apple. If the app is modified, it won't run. Each app is installed in a sandbox, and has no access to other app's sandboxes.

If not for the signing, a possible route would be an infection of your PC or Mac that would install an app on your iPad. The signing prevents this possibility.

There is one possible route: exploitation of specific vulnerabilities that might result in execution of arbitrary code. Most fruitful would be buffer overflows due to buggy code which might be caused by "corrupt"/unexpected data in a data file, for example a JPEG. There have been a few media file exploits recently against commonly-used media decoding libraries. Presumably, Apple is up on this and does extensive testing. But it might be possible. But I think this unlikely, because hopefully a media file isn't being decoded with escalated privileges that might permit access to other application's sandboxes.

Malware certainly is possible, and there have been isolated instances of rogue developers whose apps have done undisclosed nefarious things, like sending the content of your address book to a server without disclosure. Apps have free access to your address book. I believe, though, that Apple has announced that in 4.0 there will be a more fine-grain permissions system such as that on Android. (On Android, the user has to give permission for a specific app to access the address book, just like iPhone users have to give permission for use of GPS.)

The address book is a particular point of vulnerability. I recently "Bumped" with a friend, and discovered to my horror that he had a long list of account numbers and passwords stored in the "notes" field of his address book entry! (A more recent version of Bump allows you to choose precisely which items in your address book entry to push to the bumpee...)

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
The only way to get executable content onto your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad is through the app store or jailbreaking. The virus risk is incredibly low relative to OS X. And the virus risk on OS X is very low relative to Windows. There are several reasons...

One is market share. Virus authors go for widely deployed vulnerabilities.

One is vulnerability. Windows is like swiss cheese because everything from the kernel to the web browser runs with root privileges. Everything from an email containing a .wsh script to a web site to an exe downloaded and run in a popunder window can make your windows box sick whereas on OS X and iPhone OS, the browser and the Mail programs are not trusted processes.

One is architecture. iPhone OS and OS X are based on Unix which employs an architecture designed to insulate user processes and settings from system processes and settings. There are exploits that can allow a process to gain root privileges but they require specialized code to be run that is not available through normal channels. Stick to normal channels like the app store and you won't have a problem. iPhone OS has the additional advantage of a moderated executable content distribution channel: the app store, and its significantly more risk alternative Cydia.

One is user awareness. iPhone OS and OS X only pop up to tell you stuff that is important like "allow this app to use your current location?" or "you just downloaded this from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?" Unlike windows which bothers you with 50 nuisance dialog boxes for every real one, pay attention to dialogs on OS X and iPhone OS and you can practice safe computing.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Guys, let's be honest.

All code has vulnerabilities. That's just the way it is. However, as many have pointed out, sticking to trusted sources and methods reduces the likelihood of an infection dramatically. So dramatic that this thread is really pointless.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
The only way to get executable content onto your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad is through the app store or jailbreaking. The virus risk is incredibly low relative to OS X. And the virus risk on OS X is very low relative to Windows. There are several reasons...

One is market share. Virus authors go for widely deployed vulnerabilities.

One is vulnerability. Windows is like swiss cheese because everything from the kernel to the web browser runs with root privileges. Everything from an email containing a .wsh script to a web site to an exe downloaded and run in a popunder window can make your windows box sick whereas on OS X and iPhone OS, the browser and the Mail programs are not trusted processes.

One is architecture. iPhone OS and OS X are based on Unix which employs an architecture designed to insulate user processes and settings from system processes and settings. There are exploits that can allow a process to gain root privileges but they require specialized code to be run that is not available through normal channels. Stick to normal channels like the app store and you won't have a problem. iPhone OS has the additional advantage of a moderated executable content distribution channel: the app store, and its significantly more risk alternative Cydia.

One is user awareness. iPhone OS and OS X only pop up to tell you stuff that is important like "allow this app to use your current location?" or "you just downloaded this from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?" Unlike windows which bothers you with 50 nuisance dialog boxes for every real one, pay attention to dialogs on OS X and iPhone OS and you can practice safe computing.

Thank you soooo much for this info because it helps me understand more about Apple and why they do things the way the do. :D

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
So your saying once the new os comes you think it will get a virus since you can run stuff in the background and have a proper file system??.

BTW computers arent the only things to get a virus. ¬_¬

I realyd ont see why people think that only computers can get virus's.

4.0 doesnt let apps run in the background in the true sense, it has a small number of APIS that allow very specific functions to happen

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

Just to be fair, I wanted to point out that this isn't true in Vista and Win7. Just like OSX applications do not run with admin privileges without explicit authorization by the user.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.