Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzmc36

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Gainesville FL
Okay, so the new machines will switch between graphics chips... all very nice (at last), but my 15" MBP 2.8 doesn't and it's a real pain for me as I often go between apps than need the extra speed and then back to e.g. Word, and could really do with the extended battery life (I have the old style battery pack)

... any news if the older graphics systems can be worked to switch on the fly...i.e. without having to logout and shut down all the open apps, and work?

Cheers, P

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It won't work, as the now "older" system has to close the WindowServer process, thus a log out is required.

If you want that automatic switching, sell yours and buy a new one.

nzmc36

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Gainesville FL
Ugly but true

It won't work, as the now "older" system has to close the WindowServer process, thus a log out is required.

If you want that automatic switching, sell yours and buy a new one.

Dang.... such a pain :(. I got used to the switching in the G4's and didn't think they would 'about-face' with the idea when I brought this one. Nice it's back tho'. I won't be selling this one unfortunately as it's part of my job.... so I'm stuck with it for awhile.... unless I can palm it off on on of my students (I'm sure they won't complain) :rolleyes:

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
Okay, so the new machines will switch between graphics chips... all very nice (at last), but my 15" MBP 2.8 doesn't and it's a real pain for me as I often go between apps than need the extra speed and then back to e.g. Word, and could really do with the extended battery life (I have the old style battery pack)

... any news if the older graphics systems can be worked to switch on the fly...i.e. without having to logout and shut down all the open apps, and work?

Cheers, P

Is it in fact confirmed that the new machines will do fast-switching?

nzmc36

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Gainesville FL
Is it in fact confirmed that the new machines will do fast-switching?

From the Apple web page under the graphics details

"On-demand performance.
Off-the-charts efficiency.
The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models come standard with automatic graphics switching. It’s a breakthrough technology from Apple that switches graphics processors on the fly to give you performance when you need it (when you’re playing the latest 3D game, for example) and better battery efficiency when you don’t (such as when you’re reading email). MacBook Pro transfers the workload between the powerful discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor and integrated Intel HD Graphics so seamlessly, you won’t even notice. Whether you’re using applications like Aperture, Motion, or Final Cut Pro or just surfing the web, your MacBook Pro always knows which processor to use. You don’t have to log out, shut down, or change your preferences. Automatic graphics switching does it all for you."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.