Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runningman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Our hospital uses a citrix client to run EPIC. Will the iPad support the use of this. I read that citrix has a new viewer for the iPad and was wondering if anyone had experience with this.
Thanks

fishepa

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
Citrix already has their Citrix Receiver program available for the iPad, this should work to access your hospital apps.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
We use Citrix at work, it would be amazing if I could access my emails when I'm out and about. I'm running Citrix at home now actually, I had no idea it was available as an app. Boy this just gets better and better! :D

runningman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Fishepa thanks so much. Have you had a chance to use the citrix receiver or know anyone who has with the iPad and how it did.
Thanks again,

fishepa

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
Fishepa thanks so much. Have you had a chance to use the citrix receiver or know anyone who has with the iPad and how it did.
Thanks again,

I have not tried it out yet, so I honestly can't comment on how it works.

Croozin

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
NYC
Yes

I do not know EPIC but the iPad is the ultimate "dumb" client with the Citrix Receiver program or other clients like RDP. I've tested against our corporate network as well as clients network, and there are no issues with any application. As you know Citrix merely renders the graphical image of a virtual server session hosted by a Windows Terminal Server with the Citrix overlay.

I've tested only across the public Internet through 3G access where latency is high going through a Citrix Access Gateway (Netscaler) appliance. Latency was noticeable -- click a button and wait a pregnant moment. Used internally, this would be a non issue unless the reported WiFi issue is something real and pervasive.

The main issue you should be concerned about is the functionality as a tablet. Is the app still usable when the QWERTY keyboard comes up? That was my issue with the iPhone -- it worked for Citrix but you had to be out of your mind to want to use it regularly b/c the entire screen was lost to the keyboard. Also massive amounts of scrolling was required to see the full desktop or application. Obviously scrolling is less of an issue now with the iPad screen resolution.

Like all things in IT, thoroughly test before you bet the farm.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If it works in Citrix it will likely work fine on the iPad

ADDITIONALLY, just so you know you can 'triple finger tap' to open and close the software keyboard in Citrix Receiver.

AND, the coolest feature is you can pair your iPhone to your iPad and use the iPhone as a wireless touchpad for your iPad. Combine a bluetooth keyboard and you are rocking!

Croozin

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
NYC
No need to get that complicated for home computer access -- just enable Remote Desktop Protocol, open up TCP 3389 on the router/firewall, and hope no one hacks you. :)

Microsoft does not have a RDP client available for the iPad but there's another vendor that offers a client with multiple protocols (VNC, RDP, etc.). Forgot the name.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Remote-Desktop-Connection-frequently-asked-questions

If only I could use XenApp on my home Win7 machine and remote into my appications that way :/ Seems limited to only Win Server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.