Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CNick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
I will be getting a Droid in a couple of months.
The Droid will make my Itouch obsolete. With smart phones getting cheaper and more popular I think the Itouch days are numbered.
Whatya you think?
Nick

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
If a smart phone could make the 'touch obsolete, it would have been obsolete on day one -- the iPhone was already out.

Some people don't want to take on a cell phone service contract in order to run all the apps/games they want.

It might become obsolete for you. That's fine... you can sell the 'touch.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The iTouch become obsolete with the introduction of the eMac. The iPod Touch will never become obsolete. Parents will be getting them for their children who want an iPhone but can't afford one.

bthockey

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
The only thing that will make the iPod touch obsolete is the iPhone. Yes, the Droid and other smartphones have great things in them now but you won't be able to download all of the incredible apps that you have access to with you iPod touch.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I say what happened to the iPod Nano and Video???????????????:confused:

The iPod Classic is used by few, but it has its uses. I know plenty of people who have and enjoy the Nano. My wife would rather have her Nano than my Touch, mostly because she doesn't really need or want all the features of the Touch.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
The iPod Classic is used by few, but it has its uses. I know plenty of people who have and enjoy the Nano. My wife would rather have her Nano than my Touch, mostly because she doesn't really need or want all the features of the Touch.

Same here the wifey loves her 16GB Nano. She uses my iPhone and Touch for only 2 things. Words with Freinds and Scrabble. Borts said it best, iPod Mini "those are for girls" (in this case insert nano:))

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
I have a Touch and I don't want an iPhone. There are other phones I prefer over the iPhone and by having them as separate devices they aren't competing for the same battery life.

The iPhone... as a phone is just so-so. Just my opinion.

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Having used the droid quite often due to my old job, you might not be too satisfied with the music app when compared to the iPod app on your touch. I've also never been a huge fan of its touchscreen and both keyboards (virtual and physical). I'd say hold on to your iPod touch. In cellphone sales, I used to position my sale of these smart phones as a way to lighten your pocket by keeping your iPod at home, but I ended up finding that despite having devices like the droid or blackberry, those with iPods continued using it and carrying it around.

I don't know whether that's more of a credit to apple and their marketing, or moreso a lack of decent music apps on these other phones. Though, even with my iPhone I haven't given up my touch, as 32gb simply isn't enough for me. A 64gb iPhone would be fantastic for me, sorry for going o/t.:D

Wordslinger29

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
I use my iPod Touch like a mini netbook. It's in my pocket at all times when I'm out of the house. My wife bought an iPad, but I still use the iPod Touch more. It's the perfect portable device, and it would suck if it became obsolete.

I'd consider an iPhone if it were on Verizon, but even then I'm not sure I'd want to pay close to $100 a month for a phone. Plus, I don't have to worry about draining my cell phone battery since the iPod Touch is a separate device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.