Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shingi70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Does abode or apple have any plans to put wither of these programs on the iPad. Is their any compareable apps now.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
PhotoGene is out for the iPad, not that it has a feature set as comprehensive as these other programs. Also, check out Brushes and SketchBook Pro, as both of these have photo import features and are capable doing some Photoshop style editing. Sketchbook can even export a layered PSD file. That's about the best you can do right now.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
without the ability to calibrate the screen any form of aperture or photoshop will be nothing more then a gimmick.

Ive heard a lot of people wanting aperture for the ipad, I honestly cannot see the utility unless you just want to have it. The ipad is not a photo editor.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
without the ability to calibrate the screen any form of aperture of photoshop will be nothing more then a gimmick.

Ive heard a lot of people wanting aperture for the ipad, I honestly cannot see the utility unless you just want to have it. The ipad is not a photo editor.

Who's to say calibration wouldn't be possible? After all, if Apple decided to make an iPad version of Aperture, it's quite possible they would make an app that could control/calibrate the screen.

Secondly, Photoshop can be used for a variety of things were perfect color calibration isn't necessary. While an iPad version of Photoshop could never match up with the "real thing" as long as the iPad is running the iPhone software, it could be a great supplemental product.

For instance, create a series of PSDs on a real computer, work on them on the iPad while you're out, while you wait at the doctor's office or the DMV, or the airport, etc. Then finalize them (if necessary) when you get back to your main computer or just send drafts to clients/teammates/etc. directly from the iPad.

Is it as good as having a laptop? No, but then the iPad isn't as good as a laptop when it comes to real computing. But that doesn't mean they can't make it more of a professionally-useful device.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
I think a quality photo editor would be a welcome addition.

Photogene is nice, but the UI isn't too pretty. I'd love to see something like the retouch tool in iPhoto or new photoshop matching tool as well.

Something high quality from Adobe or Apple could go for $20 and I'd gladly buy it.

I don't expect anything near a desktop port, but if you limit layers, dumb down color controls and limit image size to the iPad resolution, it could work well.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

iPad would definitely need a RAM boost to be of any use with anything beyond web sized jpegs, but hey I'm a retoucher and I'd have plenty of use for it for web sized jpegs on the go.

That aside, the iPad would be a very nice way to manage photos with something like a Lightroom Mobile or Aperture Mobile. There's plenty of organizing you could do, and if it was done with lower res proxies, you could sync your changes quite easily to your master library.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Photogene works well with full sized iphone pics. Very fast too. I wouldn't do serious RAW editing on the ipad though. Need a desktop with bigger screen for serious work.

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Disagree. I think a "light" version of Photoshop (while still much heartier than the iPhone app) would be tremendous on the iPad, especially if the next rev gets a RAM boost.

Adobe is not getting anymore of my hard earned money for their expensive upgrds or apps. I'll stick wwith Aperture and my old version of PS.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Disagree. I think a "light" version of Photoshop (while still much heartier than the iPhone app) would be tremendous on the iPad, especially if the next rev gets a RAM boost.

I'm not sure what you'd use this for... I mean to do quality photoshop work, it helps to have a full range of features and tools available in the desktop version. Same goes for Lightroom & others... A "light" version of these tools would be interesting, but I don't think I'd use them at all for anything productive.

Plus, some of the files for these programs are so gigantic, you couldn't really store much on the iPad.

I think it's much more practical to just use a VNC to run such tools on your home computer via the iPad, where you'd have access to your full library of software tools, memory, and processing power. For example, if you're out somewhere, and realize you need some image file with a few tweaks, but it's on your home computer... just pull out the iPad, log-into your home computer, and off you go. If you want to then export the results for viewing on the iPad, that's great.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not sure what you'd use this for... I mean to do quality photoshop work, it helps to have a full range of features and tools available in the desktop version. Same goes for Lightroom & others... A "light" version of these tools would be interesting, but I don't think I'd use them at all for anything productive.

There's nothing wrong with trying out some crops or effects in the field. That would be what the iPad would be great for. You might then come up with some further ideas or insights right there while you're still shooting.

Then, of course, to do the real production work you'd take it back to your computer.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Wouldn't the program be able to use the flash memory to perform memory intensive functions? I would think a 6MP size photo would be fun and functional on the ipad.

The program would definitely have to be a simplified version of lightroom, Aperature, or Photoshop, but they would still be functional on a limited basis.

Marvin Monkey

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
I seem to recall early versions of photoshop ran well on a G3 iMac on os 9 or early os X. With only 400mhz processor, barely 500mb of ram and only a 6gig hard drive, layers, history, filters and no end of pens/brushes, cloning tools all worked, slowly yes, but they worked. Surely the iPad can outperform that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.