Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Link
I am not big on saving things. Typically, once I get tired of something or bored with it I throw it away or give it away. For years, I carried my Atari 2600 from my youth with me each time I moved, even though I never played it. Eventually I threw the entire thing away.

air_raid_2600
air_raid_2600.jpg

I mean a junky old game system and game cartridges would never be worth anything right? Wrong! I wonder now how much the complete system and the hoard of games I had would have been worth. A guy from Austin Texas has sold a rare Atari game called Air Raid for $31,600.

air_raid_2600_play
air_raid_2600_play.jpg

The game is only the 13th copy known to exist and the only one to have its original box as well.
Interestingly, the man said the game sucked as a kid, which is the only reason he still had it. No one would trade
for it.

Imagine getting $31k for something that sucked so bad you couldn't get rid of it. If only my crappy baseball card collection were the same.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Wasn't there an 8-bit NES game that went for over $40k not too long ago?

I suppose it's worth a good bit to a collector. I have an emulated copy with Stella.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
All NES games were 8-bit. It is a bit daft that it's so valuable... hell I've got super ultra mega rare Amiga games that have approximately not changed in value at all.

Quad SLi 295

macrumors member
Unless someone suddenly discovers a huge stash of Air Raid games, then its value is only going to increase. That's the nature of collectibles. Of course something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and obviously someone was willing to hand over a modest years wage for an old atari game.

Jordan

justintime303

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
link

imagine getting $31k for something that sucked so bad you couldn't get rid of it. If only my crappy baseball card collection were the same.

hahah i have a copy of that game where do i sell it at im number 14 in the world sweet who watns to buy it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.