Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using a travel router on the iPad?

Specifically, I tried the simulation software to set up a treadnet travel router, but it is not compatible with Safari for Mac or iPad, so I assume the real one is not as well.

Now I'm looking for another brand or suggestion for getting a wired-only hotel room internet into my iPad.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using a travel router on the iPad?

Specifically, I tried the simulation software to set up a treadnet travel router, but it is not compatible with Safari for Mac or iPad, so I assume the real one is not as well.

Now I'm looking for another brand or suggestion for getting a wired-only hotel room internet into my iPad.

Apple Airport Express.

Refurbs are $79.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
... or Sprint Overdrive 4G. We are using it in the California Pizza Kitchen as I write this. It's a palm-sized WiFi hotspot with 4G connection. With the iPad, I see between 3.5 to 4.5Mbps download. It supports up to 5 devices. We take two MBPs and two iPads and two iPhone3Gs on the road so we are quite pleased with the cost per device.

MrMorden

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Guatemala

Attachments

• zoom.jpg
    zoom.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 4,306

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I have traveled with an Airport Express for years. I plug into an available ethernet port and I have my own private WiFi hotspot.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Thanks for the response. I'm not interested in buying another data plan apart from my iPhone, and my company almost always negotiates the room internet into our rate for free.

(I'm also not interested in jailbreaking my iphone, at least until I have upgraded my iphone, then I may consider jailbreaking the older one into a 3g wireless router.)

Once I set up the airport express using my apple, is there ever a need to reconfigure it on the fly, which I believe you can't do with an iPad, or simply plug into any hotel room and go?

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
Thanks for the response. I'm not interested in buying another data plan apart from my iPhone, and my company almost always negotiates the room internet into our rate for free.

(I'm also not interested in jailbreaking my iphone, at least until I have upgraded my iphone, then I may consider jailbreaking the older one into a 3g wireless router.)

Once I set up the airport express using my apple, is there ever a need to reconfigure it on the fly, which I believe you can't do with an iPad, or simply plug into any hotel room and go?

the airport express would be nice but yes you are correct. i dont think you can configure an airport express with an ipad since its configured using the airport utility not through a browser.

you never know what type of settings each network might require so i would want a router that can be configured through a browser.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I've never needed to reconfigure mine. It's worked in every hotel I needed it.

ctrack52

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Reconfigure

I have and have used 4 travel routers: Linksys, netgear, and airport express "G" and now the "N" version. I have traveled with each one and once configured I have never had to reset any of them. So you are probably pretty safe. The Linksys and Netgear can be configured via the web browser. I have never tried reconfiguring A-Express without the utility.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I bought the airport express and travel 3 days a week, we have free internet in all hotels we stay in per our company contract. I simply configured the airport express at home with a WPA password using my iMac, then connected my iPad to it. From that point on I simply plug it into the hotel ethernet cable and my iPad automatically hops onto the password protected WiFi network. in the view of the hotel i am plugged in so you will see the typical hotel sign in webpage first but it works normally as if plugged in, but your wireless. I stay in all chains imaginable that have wired internet (higher level chains) as well as the cheaper hotels that tend to have wireless instead of wired.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
Similar experience here using the Airport Express for travel for many years. Also note that if you did a reset, the default function is to act as a wireless access point. But I've never had to and it's worked like a charm. Highly recommended.

Ak8s

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
I have a question about this mobile hotspot devices. If I were in let's say Outback Steakhouse and Joe Blow has one of those Sprint devices in use. If I look for it with my ipad will it see it? Will I be able to use the hotspot while he is there or are they password protected somehow?

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I have a question about this mobile hotspot devices. If I were in let's say Outback Steakhouse and Joe Blow has one of those Sprint devices in use. If I look for it with my ipad will it see it? Will I be able to use the hotspot while he is there or are they password protected somehow?

most likely password protected. but in theory if you are in range you could tap into that network if you knew the password.

so far the speeds have been less than impressive. but once the 4G standard is everywhere it may change.

I use the airport express and it is great. my ipod touch always has full bars and never drops out. In comparison to my Linksys G router, the Apple works well and without issues.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
-----------

There shouldn't be any reason to reconfigure an airport express in a hotel room. While it isn't always needed, I always do a hard reset of the express at a new hotel, but other than that, I can't think of another reason to need to config anything in a hotel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.