Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8627335.stm

An Australian publisher has had to pulp and reprint a cook-book after one recipe listed "salt and freshly ground black people" instead of black pepper.
Penguin Group Australia had to reprint 7,000 copies of Pasta Bible last week, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported.
The reprint cost A$20,000 ($18,000; £12,000), but stock in bookshops will not be recalled as it is "extremely hard" to do so, Penguin said.
The recipe was for spelt tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto.
"We're mortified that this has become an issue of any kind, and why anyone would be offended, we don't know," head of publishing Bob Sessions is quoted as saying by the Sydney newspaper.
Penguin said almost every one of the more than 150 recipes in the book listed salt and freshly ground black pepper, but a misprint occurred on just one page.
"When it comes to the proofreader, of course they should have picked it up, but proofreading a cook-book is an extremely difficult task. I find that quite forgivable," Mr Sessions said.
If anyone complains about the "silly mistake", they will be given the new version, Penguin said.​

Oops!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wait, so what am I supposed to do with all these dead black people? :confused: I've already ground some of them up and I'm ready to cook.

Apparently this is not a big deal, so I don't feel so bad about it. I suppose I can use the remaining parts of the carcasses to make some stock.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
hahaha...that guy is a moron...if he just accepted his mistake it would all be cool...but no..."its not a big deal..."

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
7f04_22_how_to_cook_humans.jpg

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
It really isn't a big deal. It's a typo. It's not like someone said "hey, I hate black people, so I'm going to change 'pepper' to 'people'". If anyone really gets offended at this, it's because they're looking for reasons to be offended.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Fun with black pepper

put some water in a bowl

sprinkle on some (dead) black pepper (it floats, just sayin')

coat your finger in dish soap

put your slathered finger in the bowl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.