Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Hi all, I'm a noob and a first-time Mac user. I've been following the "Waiting for Arrandale" thread since the Summer and tonight purchased a Core i5 15 MBP (2.53) with a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD and the Hi-Res screen online. Although now I am concerned about the font being too small to easily read/see and am worried. Being new to Macs, how can I amend for this problem? I've heard of changing the resolution back to the lower res setting, but won't this only make everything more blurry? What else can i do, like changing all the font sizes to become larger somehow? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

cys920622

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Everything will be fine. If you're still unsure, go to the nearest reseller or Apple store and check them out. Even on the 13", things look just fine.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Well, if you are going to buy something you should at least try it first. But unless you have below good eyesight, you should be able to get used to it. It will be a little uncomfortable at first but you'll wonder how you ever went without it before you know it.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I think 1680x1050 on a 15" notebook is idealistic. I have not used OSx but I'm sure there is a way you make the font dpi bigger like in Windows. I've seen pictures of the new high res display and I think its perfect. When I got my Dell Studio XPS it came with 1920x1080 display and I was worried the text would be small but then I realized it wasn't bad at all and it was perfect. It might take some getting use to at first but your eyes will adjust, especially to 1680x1050.

Best of Luck :D

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Hi all, I'm a noob and a first-time Mac user. I've been following the "Waiting for Arrandale" thread since the Summer and tonight purchased a Core i5 15 MBP (2.53) with a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD and the Hi-Res screen online. Although now I am concerned about the font being too small to easily read/see and am worried. Being new to Macs, how can I amend for this problem? I've heard of changing the resolution back to the lower res setting, but won't this only make everything more blurry? What else can i do, like changing all the font sizes to become larger somehow? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

You can change the font size using the trackpad and a two finger "expand" motion.

JohnG

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
I am intimidated by your response haha. But honestly how would you know, do you have one? I think it's a little too small by some pictures up here.

Ignore knightWRX. If you need to enlarge the font on pretty much anything, all you have to do is press cmd (the button to the left and right of the space bar) and the plus button. To shrink it again, pres command and the minus button. plus and minus are next to the backspace button.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
for reading and stuff you can always press ctrl + or - (it might be cmd +, I can't remember because I'm on windows right now) to increase/decrease the font size in safari or whatever.. and in documents you can always zoom in or zoom out so I think you'll be okay. for everything else you will probably like having the increased resolution.

edit: didn't see the guy above ^^ already mentioned what I said.. he's correct, it is Cmd + and Cmd -

joelcsf

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Bay Area
I am writing this on a 15" i7 with high res antiglare screen.

It's beautiful - not too small - and my eye sight is far from 20/20. My contact lenses are a .25 strength too small, and I'm short-sighted, so I would be struggling if the text was too small.

Austin93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think using the CMD +/- along with the track-pad gesture at times, and possibly looking for an option in the settings somewhere to enlarge text in general (Is there something like this?) will be of great help.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
I don't think there is an answer that applies to everyone. Some people like the increased resolution but others find it too small. I thought I would be one of the former but I stopped off an Apple store today and saw it in person and now I think it is too tiny, not just for text but even the graphic elements in the OS such as the dock icons were too small. Personally, I now think that the gain in increased screen real estate isn't worth the tradeoff. I think the 1920x1200 screen works well on the 17" but I think the 15" is too small to comfortably handle 1680x1050. Color me surprised because this was not my expectation but this is my gut evaluation after seeing it in the store today.

To the OP, can you get to an Apple store to see the high res screen in person? It doesn't matter what any of us prefer, your taste is the only one that counts. Remember, if you manage to check out the high res display in person before your system arrive and you don't like it, you can always return or exchange it without a restocking fee as long as you don't open the box.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
not just for text but even the graphic elements in the OS such as the dock icons were too small.

Hum, you do know the dock icons can be resized to "way too huge" from "so tiny no one can see them" right ?

I think the 1920x1200 screen works well on the 17" but I think the 15" is too small to comfortably handle 1680x1050.

You do understand that the 17" is even higher DPI (dots per inch) than the HR 15" right, and as such, if the 17" works well, the 15" works well too. If the 15" HR is too small, the 17" is too small. Your way makes absolutely 0 sense.

Essentially, if the MBP 17" is fine for you, the 15" HR will be fine.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
You do understand that the 17" is even higher DPI (dots per inch) than the HR 15" right, and as such, if the 17" works well, the 15" works well too. If the 15" HR is too small, the 17" is too small. Your way makes absolutely 0 sense.

Absolute screen size is also a factor in comfort level. The iPhone has a DPI of 163, higher than either the 17" or 15", and that DPI works for the size of that device because it tends to be used close to the face. But I wouldn't want a laptop with a comparable DPI because it would be virtually unusable. The 15" screen size seemed cramp to me compared to the 17", even if their DPIs are in the same range.

And as I noted, I expressed my personal preference and went out of my way to say other people may differ. Thanks for telling me that I am not entitled to my own opinion about what is comfortable for me. Would you also like to tell me what my favorite color and movie should be?:rolleyes:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.

133.2 DPI on the 17"
128.7 DPI on the Hi-res 15"

Essentially, they are the same.

BigdaddyMBP

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
NYC
133.2 DPI on the 17"
132.1 DPI on the Hi-res 15"

Essentially, they are the same.

I found I was enlarging web sites and documents constantly on the 17" Hi res.... Unless you really need the screen real estate, I think the regular resolution is great and $150 cheaper to boot. Also for gaming (not a common occurence on MBP) the 1440 X 900 is better.

J

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Absolute screen size is also a factor in comfort level. The iPhone has a DPI of 163, higher than either the 17" or 15", and that DPI works for the size of that device because it tends to be used close to the face. But I wouldn't want a laptop with a comparable DPI because it would be virtually unusable. The 15" screen size seemed cramp to me compared to the 17", even if their DPIs are in the same range.

This again doesn't make sense. You're talking about screen real estate. You're saying the 15" was too cramped and then suggesting he go even lower res ? That would make it even more "cramped" according to your description.

If the DPIs are the same, the fonts look the same. The 17" will obviously just fit more on screen than a 15" of the same DPI, because it will be higher res (same dots per inch, more inches, higher resolution).

And as I noted, I expressed my personal preference and went out of my way to say other people may differ. Thanks for telling me that I am not entitled to my own opinion about what is comfortable for me. Would you also like to tell me what my favorite color and movie should be?:rolleyes:

No, I'm telling you your opinion is uninformed and might steer someone in the wrong direction. You're not making any sense. Saying the HR 15" had too small text, but that the 17" is fine is not an opinion, it's garbage. Small text is a function of DPI vs viewing distance. The screens have the same DPI and you wouldn't stand any farther from a 17" than you would from a 15".

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
The 15.4" screen has 120 pixels per inch.
The 17" screen has 133 pixels per inch.

Therefore, text will appear larger on the 15.4" screen.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Couldn't you just adjust your resolution back to 1440x900? Does the Hires screen support still support 1440x900, just incase you decide to use that instead of 1680x1050?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Couldn't you just adjust your resolution back to 1440x900? Does the Hires screen support still support 1440x900, just incase you decide to use that instead of 1680x1050?

Why would you be paying for more when you're only using less? On top of that using an LCD at below native resolution looks crap.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
1680 x 1050 = text too small

I also think the 15" is too small to comfortably handle 1680x1050

1440 x 900 is much better for reading regardless of your vision, the larger more legible the text the less eyestrain you experience.

Constantly resizing the text on every web page, document etc becomes redundant and tedious in a short time.

My Sony Z is a good example, ridiculous resolution for an 'executive laptop' ... for an (expensive) movie/photo viewing entertainment machine maybe. First thing I did with the Z was switch the resolution to 1360 x 768 and running at 125% DPI as well, then I installed GDI + + software so the fonts would look better/clearer as they do on Mac's.

Definitely take a look for yourself first, worth the trip to an Apple store then you'll know for sure.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
No, I'm telling you your opinion is uninformed and might steer someone in the wrong direction.

I expressed my personal impressions and told the OP to check it out himself and decide. How telling someone to decide for himself could possibly "steer someone in the wrong direction" is beyond me. I'm tired of dealing with your condescension and arrogance. Fine, all your opinions are absolutely correct, I shall endeavor to convince myself that I should be comfortable with the 15" high rez screen. Thank you for correcting me.

Jdh2425

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
I have been trying to decide between std and hi res. I generally don't like hi res screens cos they hurt my eyes, but from what I've seen so far the new matte screens look pretty good. I have been reading all the threads and have checked out photos. I've realised I can't make a sound decision until I see them in real life.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I expressed my personal impressions and told the OP to check it out himself and decide. How telling someone to decide for himself could possibly "steer someone in the wrong direction" is beyond me. I'm tired of dealing with your condescension and arrogance. Fine, all your opinions are absolutely correct, I shall endeavor to convince myself that I should be comfortable with the 15" high rez screen. Thank you for correcting me.

Checking out was good advice, I didn't argue that. I even suggested the same, even pointing out the 17" was a good benchmark.

I am correcting your obvious lack of knowledge about DPI as it relates to resolution and screen size, your "15" hr is too small, 17" is fine" comment, which again, made absolutely no sense since they both have near identical DPI, the 17" having the higher value, thus the smaller fonts.

There is nothing arrogant or condescending about that. I'm correcting misinformation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.