Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
well obv the faster processor would be better, but to be honest audio isnt quite as much of a cpu hog as video so i doubt you would notice a diff. just my opinion im sure some others would beg to differ.

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Depends on what kind of work you do. Do you run alot of plugins, virtual instruments?

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
It depends on what I'm doing. The 2.8 Ghz machine is dedicated audio laptop, but I use it for mobile recording, live gigging, and composing. It hold up fine for gigging but my heavier duty short film compositions tax it pretty quickly. I use Omnisphere for a lot of those kinds of projects.

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I also run Native Instruments Komplete 6 and Voxengo plugins, all of which are pretty CPU heavy. I guess my question is how much more overhead processing power would I have with the i5 given the plugins I use.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I also run Native Instruments Komplete 6 and Voxengo plugins, all of which are pretty CPU heavy. I guess my question is how much more overhead processing power would I have with the i5 given the plugins I use.

It's only "incremental". To make a noticable improvment you need to double the CPU "power". You will not notice a 10% or 20% difference in CPU speed. To make a good jump you are loking at a quad core.

But is the CPU really the bottle neck?

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I doubt it. It's probably RAM, but I'm still running Logic in 32-bit because of some 3rd party plugins I use. I think all things it considered it makes more sense to double to 8GB when my plugins are supported and get Vienna Ensemble Pro so I can network my other computer.

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I agree. Hyperthreading would only really get used for things like bouncing Omnisphere tracks to audio and other non-realtime applications that I can live without. I'm just wondering how much better core for core the i5 is over the Core 2 Duo and if I could run, for example, run more coloration EQ's and limiters with greater oversampling settings.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
if you use reason 4 like i do you wont need much cpu power. i can have a **** load of components open in the rack and my cpu wont even be breaking a sweat. it really takes the cake for being efficient in the way it works. as far as live gigging i know ableton live is a cpu hog. im not sure about the prog you use, but you should look into the best program for you.

and like they have been saying, .2ghz isnt going to make a noticeable difference. just wait for the next update with macs and hopefully the base model will have around 3ghz and up

jungeliest

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
I agree. Hyperthreading would only really get used for things like bouncing Omnisphere tracks to audio and other non-realtime applications that I can live without. I'm just wondering how much better core for core the i5 is over the Core 2 Duo and if I could run, for example, run more coloration EQ's and limiters with greater oversampling settings.

Don't know about the oversampling settings but, here's an interesting thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/903760/

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
If you haven't checked out Voxengo plugins, do yourself and your mixes a HUGE favor and do so. All of their plugins are extremely high quality sounding at all settings, but their internal oversampling capabilities makes them complete game changers. If you're doing a project in say 44.1khz, you can set the plugins to run at twice, 4x, and 8x that sample rate internally. I've tried out a LOT of commercial digital EQ's and GlissEQ is definitely the best for linear-phase EQing and its dynamic EQ capabilities are unique, easy to use, and the filters are just really sweet even at normally sampling.

But if you haven't tried ELEPHANT.... you'll never use another master limiter again. It's an industry leader IMHO and I use it constantly. It's in the same price range as garbage IK Multimedia mixing and "mastering" software but the sound quality is on par with if not better than the Oxford. It's just one of those plugins. 8x oversamping can still sound very transparent all the way up to 5 or 6db gain reduction depending on the mix material.

ImpostorOak

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
I mix primarily in Pro Tools LE and I know that having 4 cores on my i5 iMac allows me to use many more plugins than my C2D MBP. First of all, it gives me two more processors to allocate to RTAS plugins in the playback engine dialog. But the i5 is just faster all around.

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Anyone up for a little real-world testing? Quit out of every application you have open, turn off Airport, boot Logic. Create a software instrument track and load Ultrabeat. Don't change any of the settings but turn the sequencer on. Then, load two instances of Space Designer in stereo and make sure that Ultrabeat's output is set to stereo out.

Use the "create track with duplicate channel strip/instrument" command (command + D by default), and duplicate the track 4 times so you have 5. Open the activity manager and let us know what it's % of CPU Logic is using and then try it with a total of 10 duplicates.

Post your system specs and figures here. I definitely think that help people know how much more audio-related processing power can be had with the newer machines. I'll go first...

17'' Macbook Pro, 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD
5 Tracks: 60.1%
10 Tracks: 90.2%
Buffer speed: 128

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
...It's in the same price range as garbage IK Multimedia mixing and "mastering" software...

You should check out the new T-Racks 3 singles...the Fairchild and Pultec emulations are fantastic, as is the Opto compressor.

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I actually owned T-Racks 3 Deluxe but sold the license after I got into Voxengo. I totally agree though the Opto in particular is really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.