Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Ok so i am new to Macs and Apple at that, Coming from a Windows 7 PC and using programs like CCleaner and such that would clean out junk files, cache,internet files, etc, etc...Pretty much clean out useless, leftover junk files that would overtime slow down ones system.

I was curious, what is the best one out there "In your opinion" Paid or Free, Though i much rather have a Free program, If the program actually works well and does a great job, i do not mind paying for it. ( i am also up for free trial programs also )

I would like something that works great but also is easy to use for a Mac NOOB like myself. Nothing to complicated as i am still learning my MBP.

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Welcome to the Mac world. As Yoda would say, "You must unlearn what you have learned". Much of what applies to Windows does not apply to Mac OS X. You can easily reset Safari to clear internet cache, cookies, etc. Other than that, there's not much you need to do to keep Mac OS X running well.

Since you're new to Macs and this forum, here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple resources:
MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.

MacRumors resources:

You can find lists of essential applications in these threads:
More apps on these sites:

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Onyx, but such software is seldom needed. I used in my first two years with Mac OS X, but now I just realized, I really don't need it, unless something might go haywire.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
mac dont need regular maintenance like pc's

but for the left over junk i use "OnyX"
its the best option
and its free
apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for all those helpfull link! That should keep me bust for awhile and give me some great info...WOW its going to be rather hard getting use to not having to clean my machine every other day, lol....

Thanks again!!!!

Twin B

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
maf, once you get used to not cleaning your machine every other day, which should take about one day to get used to, you'll have to get used to not worrying about updating virus/malware databases and running them too. I figure that took me about two days, but I'm slow on the draw. :rolleyes:

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I use macaroni. It runs everything on it's own, no need to run the program because it does everything with a schedule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.