Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wvridgerunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Hello everyone, I just stumbled upon this forum while searching for accessories for my 32gb iPad I have on order. Just thought some of you may be interested in this heavy duty leather sleeve with a 100 year warranty! It's made by Saddleback Leather Company: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/154-gadget-pouch-catagory. They have a really cool site, and some nice (but pricey) products.

I ordered one yesterday in the Dark Coffee Brown color (they have 4 colors to choose from), along with a small pouch for my phone. Even if I don't use it for the iPad, looks like it would be good for carrying other items as well.

gplgdcbipadstickingout1.jpg

gplgdcbipadinside1900.jpg

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Really nice looking stuff!!

I would love to see them add a snap encolsure over the top so the ipad could not slide out.

EZ-PZ

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Beautiful! Thanks for posting this. It's exactly what I've been looking for...and just ordered one in the tobacco leather. :D

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
I do like the case in the lighter brown. I don't think that the inside is lined with anything 'soft'? Not sure what the pig skin feels like outside of a football.

Why does it look like you have footprints on yours?

wvridgerunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I do like the case in the lighter brown. I don't think that the inside is lined with anything 'soft'? Not sure what the pig skin feels like outside of a football.

Why does it look like you have footprints on yours?

That's not mine in the pics (haven't received mine yet), those pics came directly off of their website. I'm assuming those are just normal scuffs on the leather from normal use? I like the antique burnished look, which is why I chose that color.

I'll let you know how the pigskin lining feels when I receive mine. I did find a pic of the lining, to give you an idea of the texture. It looks to me, as though it would be softer than a football... more like the leather you'd find on furniture, or a car interior.
dsc01182q.jpg

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I ordered one yesterday in the Dark Coffee Brown color (they have 4 colors to choose from), along with a small pouch for my phone. Even if I don't use it for the iPad, looks like it would be good for carrying other items as well.

I ordered one also on 4/14. Same color. Mine is to arrive this Thursday....and my 3G iPad hopefully Saturday. :eek:

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
I have one of their briefcases and the pigskin lining looks the same. It isn't exactly soft and fluffy but it isn't going to scratch glass or aluminum. I carry my MBP in it all the time with no issues. I think that picture above shows it well but I can't stress enough that this is THICK leather

The quality is very nice on their stuff and I have no reservations recommending them.

wvridgerunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I just received mine today, and the quality is outstanding! The only problem I have is the leather is a little stiff. However, I'm sure it will soften up after it gets used. I really like the pigskin lining, don't think there will be any problems with the iPad slipping out.

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Sorry to bring back an old thread! But I was wondering how the sleeve has been since you've had it. Hows the internal lining...has it scratched the iPad?

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Jeez... £75 (price of product and shipping combined). Pretty steep for a sleeve, however good it may be! Are their any UK suppliers?

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
im curious about the charger pouch and the phone pouch that is shown on the website... are those attached to the sleeve, or are they separate?

I currently have the Fossil leather envelope case and love it, but my wife loves it too (and wants to steal it from me). I really like the idea of this one, assuming that those 2 pouches are not part of the sleeve, but separate.

wvridgerunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Sorry to bring back an old thread! But I was wondering how the sleeve has been since you've had it. Hows the internal lining...has it scratched the iPad?

It works great! It's just now getting that broken in soft feel... very easy to slip the iPad in and out (but it doesn't slide out by itself). The pigskin lining hasn't scratched the iPad at all... still looks as good as the day I got it.

Jeez... £75 (price of product and shipping combined). Pretty steep for a sleeve, however good it may be! Are their any UK suppliers?

I don't think they have any suppliers... they do all their sales directly to customers through their website.

I think the price is fair for a product of that quality. I have no doubt that this sleeve will last my lifetime... though I'm not sure what I'll use it for when the iPad is long gone!

My only complaint would be the hidden shipping/handling charges. They charged $15 shipping... when the flat rate Priority option they used was only $4.95!

im curious about the charger pouch and the phone pouch that is shown on the website... are those attached to the sleeve, or are they separate?

I currently have the Fossil leather envelope case and love it, but my wife loves it too (and wants to steal it from me). I really like the idea of this one, assuming that those 2 pouches are not part of the sleeve, but separate.

No, those pouches aren't attached, and are sold separately. I also have the small pouch for my Motorola Droid, and it fits perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.