Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
What reason would Apple have for a microSim card?
The physical size of the microSIM reader in the phone is the same as a real SIM reader so there isn't s apace savings reason.

I only can guess it is a concession to AT&T. In a way it lets them hardware lock the device to AT&T for longer as AT&T will likely be the only ones coming out with microSIM cards for a while. Tmobile will later on, but for the short term, there won't be any unlocked iPhones in the US.

Any other possible reasons?

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
From Wikipedia:
Features

Along with supporting the previous features of SIM cards for backwards compatibility, the micro-SIM specifications introduce new features that are not present in previous revisions of the SIM card. The new specifications:
  • allow for multiple simultaneous applications accessing the card through logical channels;
  • introduce mutual authentication as a way to eliminate carrier spoofing by allowing the SIM card to authenticate the cell tower to which it is connecting;
  • add a new PIN protection with hierarchical PIN management with a universal PIN, an application PIN and a local PIN; and
  • expand the phonebook storage of the SIM card with entries for email, second name, and groups.[4]

Long story short... its the future of SIM cards, so Apple implemented them.

Jelsoft

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
They've been a standard since 2003. Only now Apple are using them. I think it's to screw the unlockers.

No one will know for sure if you can just shave a regular sim card until the 3G ipads come out.. I'm not sure if the micro sim card readers are backwards compatible, or if there's something in the new micro sims that the iphones require for activation etc.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
This is the easiest way to prevent unlocking. In fact as far as the hardware goes, it is a pretty clever idea. What's the point of unlocking, if you cannot put your SIM in? It would be funny, if networks released some micro-SIMs just to make unlocking viable.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
This is the easiest way to prevent unlocking. In fact as far as the hardware goes, it is a pretty clever idea. What's the point of unlocking, if you cannot put your SIM in? It would be funny, if networks released some micro-SIMs just to make unlocking viable.
but why does apple care about unlocking. only at&t does. apple benefits when more iphones are sold to unlockers.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
but why does apple care about unlocking. only at&t does. apple benefits when more iphones are sold to unlockers.

Apple's interest is to CONTROL the situation about unlocking. They can assure networks that they would be able to keep customers, as people wouldn't just buy the subsidised handsets and pay the tariffs to other companies or sell it overseas. Not all phones are on contract.

So by introducing micro-SIM, Apple shifts some responsibility to networks. I'm sure that it means higher prices for exclusive deals with networks all around the world. And in the US, too. Imagine how much more AT&T would pay for a deal, when they can make sure that they will keep the customers throughout the contract period.

Here in the UK, unlocking is pretty widespread and so many people bought unlocked iPhones to use them on other networks that I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of a micro-SIM came from the networks and not from Apple. Once there is money in it, of course, Apple is too happy to do it.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
But does Apple/AT&T expect every single person upgrading from a 3G/3GS to go into a physical AT&T store to swap out their current SIM card to a micro-sim?

That alone turns me off of the whole thing...

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
So if they have micro sims in, I won't be able to put my current sim into a newly purchased iPhone 4, because it won't fit. So what do I do? In the UK it will be a HUGE pain in the ass. Lots of people (like me) buy their iPhone on PAYG, and then put their own 30 day contract sims in. If they can't do this, they'll buy a handset that they can surely.

Also, say I took out a new contract with the new iPhone, and was going to the beach and wanted to pop my sim into my old dumb phone for a few hours. Oh, I can't do that, as it's the wrong size!?!?

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
It sounds like most of the components were shrunken in the iPhone to fit a bigger battery. From Gizmodo

• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

MicroSIM was probably another thing they could use that was smaller to fit a bigger battery.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
But does Apple/AT&T expect every single person upgrading from a 3G/3GS to go into a physical AT&T store to swap out their current SIM card to a micro-sim?

Since Apple stores will obviously be selling new iPhones, they will have a stock of MicroSIMs too.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
This really sucks because I like to take my iPhone SIM out and put it into a cheap phone when I go snowboarding.

well, no one is making you upgrade but i agree. i like being able to have backups. if i keep my backup iphone, i will no longer be able to use it if i happen to lose the new one if i get it....unless there is a micro to reg sim adapter

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
X2, making it smaller they can cram more stuff in the iPhone or slim up the design.

Yup. Micro sim allows for more free space. It may not be much to you, but for electronics, real estate is precious. It's a good move because they can cram some more stuff in there.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008

They come in the box if you order it online, or I'm sure the Apple store will have a supply to use with the phone.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
This really sucks because I like to take my iPhone SIM out and put it into a cheap phone when I go snowboarding.

It should be compatible.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-SIM]Expedia[/url] said:
The micro-SIM was created with backwards compatibility in mind. The major issue with backwards compatibility was the contact area of the chip. Retaining the same contact area allows the micro-SIM to be compatible with the previous, larger SIM readers through the use of plastic cutout surrounds. The micro-SIM was also designed to run at the same speed (5 MHz) as the previous version.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

This was a big concern of mine as well(I like to be able to move phones, and the work I do summer I'd rather not have my iPhone), but there are adapters to allow that

http://www.microsim-shop.com/

That one is from Europe, but its only 5 Euro, so they'll surely be cheap in the US as well!

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
Yes it's a pain that is causes many issues, like cant swap to the old phone when your out in the elements, or other problems outlined here.

But I look at it as a good thing.

It's about time a new smaller sim standard is picked up.

If people complained this much for every form factor change we would be stuck with VHS tapes and Compact Flash cards for digital cameras...

I get blu-ray movies from netflix now, I used to watch them on my computer and in my car. Now I can't. But I still got a blu-ray player. I am upset many of my older devices that play DVD's are now unusable.

Yes I know the blu-rays are a bad example, because most Apple fans don't care for Blu-Ray. But you get my point.

It's a problem now, but as more devices and carriers pick up micro sim's The conversion and compatibility issues will go away.

Also look at how many people complained about 64bit computing over the years. Now the 32 to 64 bit migration is painless, and the advantages of 64bit are showing.

I'm excited to see micro sim, I will thank micro sim for my new larger battery.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

No. I have stood in line for every iPhone released to date. Apple has never swapped sim cards. The phone already has one installed. They simply deactivate your old phone and activate your new one.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Well lets say for a moment... that my iPhone is owned by my employer. I was planning on buying the new 4g and swapping the sim card from my old phone to the new phone.

Technically, they can't cancel the line, because i don't own the line.

How would i go about this process now that these stupid micro-sims are in the phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.