Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
http://www.hypershop.com/product-p/hm72-red.htm

Do you think this can charge up an iPad? Not clear to me from the Apple site's tech specs for iPad...

Hypermac battery provides 5V/1A power via USB port and is 7200 mah

iPad has a 10W power adapter, but I can't find any other info about voltage requirements.

Edit: Search is your friend...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/865305/

rgbyhkr wrote: So, I sent an inquiry to HyperMac asking about the possibility of them developing a cable for use on the 60/100/150/222 Wh units that would offer a 10W output to the iPad. Here's the response:

"Thank you for your interest in HyperMac battery. Sanho's engineer is working on the battery for IPAD, we might have a new battery for both MacBook and IPAD or just for IPAD only.
Please check back at http://www.hypershop.com in April when the IPAD is released."

No surprise there I guess given the level of interest in the iPad. I for one will hold off and wait to see what they come up with. I think there's the potential for a sweet spot size in between the Mini and the 60Wh version that could offer about 2x recharge with a 10W output for fast charge times. Or, they could just modify some existing models to offer a 10W USB port vs 5W. That would be worthwhile also.

Jeff

YetAnotherMJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Full size works, with caveat

I recently used the MBP-100 (one of their full-size batteries intended for use with a Macbook) with an iPad on a long plane flight. I plugged a USB dock cable into the USB port and connected it to the iPad.

The iPad said "Not Charging" at the top of the screen, but the battery percentage never went down. So it will draw the power it needs from the external battery, but I guess it can't replenish the internal battery at the same time. The USB port is probably 5V/1A, just like the USB ports on the smaller batteries they released earlier this year. The iPad charger is labeled as 5.1V/2.1A.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Do you really need a battery back up for the iPad? For the iPhone i see the reason but with the iPads fantastic battery life i don't see the point. Unless you going to a remote place for a few days without a car.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Do you really need a battery back up for the iPad? For the iPhone i see the reason but with the iPads fantastic battery life i don't see the point. Unless you going to a remote place for a few days without a car.

Remote places, etc. Just want one large external battery that will charge both the iphone and iPad. Hypermac is working on this.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi,

I found this on a MACWorld article:

"If you’re getting the “Not Charging” message, try leaving your iPad plugged in anyway, and see if the charge is greater when you return."
http://www.macworld.com/article/150675/2010/04/ipad_tips.html

So I did just that with my HyperMac battery (MBP-060) using the USB port on the battery to connect to the iPad. The iPad was off when I plugged it in and at 84% charge. I saw the following message at the top right of the screen:

"Not Charging"

The indicator on the HyperMac battery indicated it was 'on'. I turned off the iPad as per the recommendation above and waited 15 minutes. I then unplugged the cable and turned the iPad on. The battery level went up from 84% to 86%. So the HyperMac battery DID appear to charge the iPad.

I then tried keeping the unit 'on' while it was plugged into the HyperMac battery by playing a video followed by an audiobook for a total of 60 minutes. The initial battery charge read 86%. I let the video play for 30 minutes (charge at 87% so an increase of 1% after 30 minutes) then I switched to playing an audiobook for another 30 minutes. The battery level remained at 87% after 60 minutes of total running time plugged into the external battery. I am not sure that I can definitively say that the external battery did charge the iPad when the unit was 'on' but I can say that the iPad lost no battery charge in that time frame even when the iPad was registering a "Not Charging" message.

The specs on the HyperMac battery I use are:

Model: MBP-060
Capacity: 60-watt-hour
Length: 4.92" (12.5cm
Width: 3.78" (9.6cm)
Thickness: 0.83" (2.1cm)
Weight: 0.8 lb (0.36 kg
Price: $199 USD
*I purchased this a year ago for my MACBook Air, NOT for the iPad.

I only did this to attempt to answer the question. I doubt I will use or need an external battery for the iPad. Plus the iPad has very impressive battery life with proper management. However, the new HyperMac Mini and Micro battery may offer an interesting possibility for those requiring LONGER battery life and they are in the $60-$100 USD price range.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-External-MacBook-Battery-and-Car-Charger-s/91.htm

Joe

rgbyhkr

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
According to a HyperMac tweet from a couple of weeks ago:

"HyperMac @smartygus We are in the process of upgrading all HyperMac USB ports to high power 10W & should be ready by the time iPad 3G hits the market"

They also said that while the Mini and Micro would be included in the upgra, the Nano would not because it's too small.

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.