Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vic-Viper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I'm sure the rules vary a bit, but anyone know if iPad like devices are allowed when not hearing the case?

I got summoned and dread the stories of endless sitting around with nothing to do so iPlan to bring my iPad.

I'll post my findings as well.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I was unable to but this was 2008. Apparently some courts will allow devices like this to be used while waiting, mine could only be used in the hallway. Check with the courts, they're real open to phone calls about these matters and often post the info on their website.
Knowledge is key ... it's also available outside MR. ;)

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I had jury duty last month, when you're sitting in the "waiting room" yes, we were allowed to use computers, iPod/mp3 players, etc,etc..

I don't know where you're located, but I'm down in Broward County, Florida..

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Those kinds of rules are honestly going to vary from county-to-county and, in honesty, from judge-to-judge. In Bexar county (San Antonio, Texas) we could only use our phones in the hall outside the court room. The judge was very adamant about that.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Because that is relevant to the question.

Would you rather him makea new thread in community discussion about it?:confused:this thread seems like the perfect forum to post that bit of anger. I think your post is much less relevant than his.

That's my 2cents

BobRichards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
I was summoned for the first time a few months ago and we were allowed to use laptops and things of that nature

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
In New York, they have Wi-Fi and you can bring your laptop or whatever you want. But they also give you a number to call which has a prerecorded message telling you what you can bring, etc.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I brought my iPod Touch to the courthouse when I had Jury Duty.

Do you know I was in the same courthouse as Michael Jackson's alleged murder Dr. some name i don't know!

haha random...anyways...move along.:rolleyes:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
In NYC we were allowed to use laptops, cell phones etc. There was even a wifi network available. Considering the burden it is to perform jury duty, I think its the least the courts could do to allow people to work while they are just sitting around in the jury pool.

Obviously, none of these things were allowed in the courtroom. :)

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Last year I did Federal Jury duty here in Illinois. We were allowed to have and use laptops etc in the jury room but of course not in the court room. You did have a bit of trouble getting through security, each day your computer bag etc had to be searched again and again.

I'd think an iPad would be fine.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
In DC court there was free wifi in the waiting room and hallways. When in the courtroom during the selection period (sitting and waiting to be called in to be interviewed), I used my iPhone, others read, etc. Not sure if I was allowed to but nothing was said.

iBeast

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
So instead of performing your civic duty you would want to play around on your IPad? I hope I'm not the defendant....

These are our peers? Good riddance

Neous

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Woodstock, CT
So instead of performing your civic duty you would want to play around on your IPad? I hope I'm not the defendant....

with the Ipad the OP will be able to research all those "state of X v such and such" lawyers are citing during their arguments (as seen on TV)
and when not in court of course

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
iBeast said:

Have you ever been called? You sit around, often for several hours, with nothing to do waiting for your number to be called. I watched movies on my old 12" PowerBook G4 laptop (pre-iPad days). No webcam. iPhones weren't allowed (camera).

Last time I got summoned to jury duty, I sat at the courthouse for 2 days and never got called.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Where do you store the electronics when you go in for the jury duty? Do you have to take them out to your car?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.