Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well i'm about to leave my apartment tonight again for the next 2 months. this time i'll only be 2 hours away, so i can come back on the weekends if something messes up again. we'll see.

oh, and i had to restart my VM before i left to take out the -oneunit flag, and guess what, i lost that unit! it was 96% complete!

i'm so mad right now :mad:

I've had that happen several time with bigadv units, grrrrrr

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've had that happen several time with bigadv units, grrrrrr

yeah tell me about it. and i was gonna setup a system here in the hotel, but the internet is terrible here! and i have to call everyday to get them to open the port in my room! -but i'm gonna try and get this straight tomorrow.

so yeah, no much folding going on here for sure. but at least i can drive back to my place on the weekends

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Oh yeah thanks to your help in getting the SMP client and giving the GPU client a go, I am now in the top 20 producers. Not bad considering when a few years back I had only an iBook and I was producing 48 points a day and did that for over a year!

I don't know how long I will be able to sustain that rate though might have to drop back.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Oh yeah thanks to your help in getting the SMP client and giving the GPU client a go, I am now in the top 20 producers. Not bad considering when a few years back I had only an iBook and I was producing 48 points a day and did that for over a year!

I don't know how long I will be able to sustain that rate though might have to drop back.

yeah no problem.

well just put up those numbers for as long as you can. our team can use the points, and of course for the cause

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well of course i've been messing with my systems all weekend long, and of course i always run into some bad luck.

so i have 3 i7 920 systems. one is an asus and it's running bigadv and 2 x gpu. it's been my best reliable system so far. it's running well right now

my second system was just running 3 x gpu. i wasn't running bigadv b/c it had a heat problem. this is one i built. i decided to take everything apart and take off the cpu cooler it came with and i put on this huge one that i bought. it took an hour, but i got it! and it works great. the problem is that now it doesn't recognize all my ram. i had 6 GB, which is enough for running bigadv units in a VM in windows, and then run several gpu clients. but with only 4 GB of ram, this won't work. so i'm in the process of installing ubuntu right now on it. this will take away some of my gpus

and my third i7 rig is an alienware. it came with one GTX 260, and i decided to take one from my home built system and put in the this one. it's got 2 slots, but of course the second slot doesn't work. i called alienware, and they are supposed to come out and fix it. probably a new motherboard i'm guessing. so right now it's running bigadv and 1 gpu.

i just hope i can get the one i built running bigadv in ubuntu. i'll keep you updated

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well of course i've been messing with my systems all weekend long, and of course i always run into some bad luck.

so i have 3 i7 920 systems. one is an asus and it's running bigadv and 2 x gpu. it's been my best reliable system so far. it's running well right now

my second system was just running 3 x gpu. i wasn't running bigadv b/c it had a heat problem. this is one i built. i decided to take everything apart and take off the cpu cooler it came with and i put on this huge one that i bought. it took an hour, but i got it! and it works great. the problem is that now it doesn't recognize all my ram. i had 6 GB, which is enough for running bigadv units in a VM in windows, and then run several gpu clients. but with only 4 GB of ram, this won't work. so i'm in the process of installing ubuntu right now on it. this will take away some of my gpus

and my third i7 rig is an alienware. it came with one GTX 260, and i decided to take one from my home built system and put in the this one. it's got 2 slots, but of course the second slot doesn't work. i called alienware, and they are supposed to come out and fix it. probably a new motherboard i'm guessing. so right now it's running bigadv and 1 gpu.

i just hope i can get the one i built running bigadv in ubuntu. i'll keep you updated

Sounds like me sometimes with things not working and spending way more time than on it than I thought, hopefully you can get everything working, I think you are better at it than I am.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sounds like me sometimes with things not working and spending way more time than on it than I thought, hopefully you can get everything working, I think you are better at it than I am.

thanks. things aren't quite working out right at the moment. i think i might have messed up the motherboard somehow. my homebuilt i7 just isn't working right. i'm away for work during the week, but i think this coming weekend will spent on this computer again. i might have to buy another motherboard i'm thinking though

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
thanks. things aren't quite working out right at the moment. i think i might have messed up the motherboard somehow. my homebuilt i7 just isn't working right. i'm away for work during the week, but i think this coming weekend will spent on this computer again. i might have to buy another motherboard i'm thinking though

Ouch, I know how that is, I've had to replace things that I've broken trying to fix them; not that I would actually admit to breaking anything of course :p

It would drive me nuts being away from my computers knowing they need worked on. I guess I'm addicted - maybe... oh, I put -advmethods in the linux machines and they took off with new wu's so all is well for now. I did lose a bigadv unit on the 17th, or 14th I can't remember, when they had a glitch in one of the servers :(

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Ouch, I know how that is, I've had to replace things that I've broken trying to fix them; not that I would actually admit to breaking anything of course :p

It would drive me nuts being away from my computers knowing they need worked on. I guess I'm addicted - maybe... oh, I put -advmethods in the linux machines and they took off with new wu's so all is well for now. I did lose a bigadv unit on the 17th, or 14th I can't remember, when they had a glitch in one of the servers :(

oh yeah, it's driving me nuts being away. but at least i can go on the weekends.

yeah i lost a bigadv unit also. but hopefully things are good for now. this weekend i know i'll be working on this

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i got a new motherboard and processor for my third i7 system. i also put in 4 GPUs in it as well. i have it running all 4 GPUs and a bigadv unit in a VM, but i'm not sure if the bigadv VM is working right. it didn't look quite right when i left, but i had to leave. i guess i'll find out in 3 days if it's working or not

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well i got a new motherboard and processor for my third i7 system. i also put in 4 GPUs in it as well. i have it running all 4 GPUs and a bigadv unit in a VM, but i'm not sure if the bigadv VM is working right. it didn't look quite right when i left, but i had to leave. i guess i'll find out in 3 days if it's working or not

What GPU's do you have in it? Are they new or some you already had? It will be interesting to see how the bigadv units work on it. I think you said it is an i7 920? Do you have it OC'd?

I need to figure out how to set up VM's to see if they could be usefull for me.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
What GPU's do you have in it? Are they new or some you already had? It will be interesting to see how the bigadv units work on it. I think you said it is an i7 920? Do you have it OC'd?

I need to figure out how to set up VM's to see if they could be usefull for me.

they are ones i already had: GTX 260, GSX 250, 9800 GT x 2 (the energy efficient ones, single slot, i got on sale for $70 each)

the processor is an i7 930 actually. i have it overclocked to 3.5 ghz right now. i didn't have time to really mess with all the settings like i wanted.

i personally think VMs are great, but it does depend if your system can handle the heat of running GPUs and a bigadv unit. right now this system isn't even in a case

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
:p
they are ones i already had: GTX 260, GSX 250, 9800 GT x 2 (the energy efficient ones, single slot, i got on sale for $70 each)

the processor is an i7 930 actually. i have it overclocked to 3.5 ghz right now. i didn't have time to really mess with all the settings like i wanted.

i personally think VMs are great, but it does depend if your system can handle the heat of running GPUs and a bigadv unit. right now this system isn't even in a case

Cool, glad you had them.

I know what you mean about OC'ing waiting to see if it will stay up or crash each time you change something. I was looking at CPUZ on my i7 and I guess I did get it to stay at 3.2Ghz but with 3 gpu's on it I'm not going to try bigadv on it.

I still have 4 boards not in cases - in the basement - getin' kind of dusty too :D but they were cheap and don't need any special cooling, they do fine like that. However I may retire them before too long as I decided to go ahead and get an i7 980x to do some bigadv units on. :rolleyes: I think it should do better than my Mac Pro. I hope. The board has 2 x16 slots for gpu's - when I can afford a pair of GTX 480's :p

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
:p

Cool, glad you had them.

I know what you mean about OC'ing waiting to see if it will stay up or crash each time you change something. I was looking at CPUZ on my i7 and I guess I did get it to stay at 3.2Ghz but with 3 gpu's on it I'm not going to try bigadv on it.

I still have 4 boards not in cases - in the basement - getin' kind of dusty too :D but they were cheap and don't need any special cooling, they do fine like that. However I may retire them before too long as I decided to go ahead and get an i7 980x to do some bigadv units on. :rolleyes: I think it should do better than my Mac Pro. I hope. The board has 2 x16 slots for gpu's - when I can afford a pair of GTX 480's :p

thanks. so i have a total of 9 GPUs, and i've got 7 of them running now. maybe one day i'll have them all up and running

well, once you get the OC setting right, then you don't really have to worry about it. like the 2 i7s that i have running now, are both OCed. (3.5 and 3.7)

now i thought about getting an i7 980x, but wasn't ready to spend that kind of money. i think i might just buy a pre-made system if i ever get one (feel more comfortable that way). but that would be sweet if you got one. heck, you know there's a motherboard out there that can hold 2 x i7 980x for $600 i think. now that would be awesome - but just 2 processors and motherboard would cost over $2600

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
heck, you know there's a motherboard out there that can hold 2 x i7 980x for $600 i think. now that would be awesome - but just 2 processors and motherboard would cost over $2600

I thought about that, getting one cpu now and getting another one down the road, but the board was only $200 in this case maybe 2 systems would be better than one - if I get another one down the road or if Apple EVER gets around to making a new Mac Pro :rolleyes:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I thought about that, getting one cpu now and getting another one down the road, but the board was only $200 in this case maybe 2 systems would be better than one - if I get another one down the road or if Apple EVER gets around to making a new Mac Pro :rolleyes:

well, 2 systems would be better than one, if you can afford it.

let's see

dual cpu:
- 2 x i7 980x - $2,000
- motherboard - $600
- 12 GB of RAM - about $300
- powersupply - about $120

total - about $3,020

single cpu:
- i7 980x - $1,000
- motherboard - $200
- 6 GB of RAM - about $150
- powersupply - about $80

total - about $1430 x 2 = $2,860

so 2 systems might actually be cheaper. i didn't put a case, since with the big $600 motherboard, it won't fit in most cases. and i assume you already have gpus

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well, 2 systems would be better than one, if you can afford it.

let's see

dual cpu:
- 2 x i7 980x - $2,000
- motherboard - $600
- 12 GB of RAM - about $300
- powersupply - about $120

total - about $3,020

single cpu:
- i7 980x - $1,000
- motherboard - $200
- 6 GB of RAM - about $150
- powersupply - about $80

total - about $1430 x 2 = $2,860

so 2 systems might actually be cheaper. i didn't put a case, since with the big $600 motherboard, it won't fit in most cases. and i assume you already have gpus

I already have 2 4u cases and 650 psu's for them, no gpu's right now I just ssh into them. Would a 650 psu be enough power for a single GTX480 on one of these? I have 1200 watt psu's running the 2 machines with 3 gpu's each. I could swap out one of the GT260's for the 480 and put it (the 260) on the new board; when I have the change for the GTX480 that is.

This of course will delay the purchase of a new Mac Pro somewhat, maybe... but I couldn't wait any longer for the Mac Pro's...:eek:

Our team output is up again to just under 2 mil pts for the last week.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I keep on hearing these sick setups, I need photos now ;) Show me your f@h setup please :)

Not much to look at but here is most of what I have. the left pic is: 3 AMD athlon x2 4400+ machines and 1 Phenom x4 9600. looks kinda scary huh! all running various versions of Ubuntu

The right pic is an amd PhenomII x4 965 black with 3 gpu's running win7 (top box) and the lower one is an i7 920 with 3 gpu's running win7, again not much to look at but not quite so scary. only things missing are another x2 4400+ and my 09 Mac Pro octo core 2.66

Attachments

• DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 147

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for posting, looks scary but I like it! You planning on getting GPUs for the AMD systems? How do AMD processors go at f@h? Imagine if you got some GT260s on the 4 AMD systems :eek:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I already have 2 4u cases and 650 psu's for them, no gpu's right now I just ssh into them. Would a 650 psu be enough power for a single GTX480 on one of these? I have 1200 watt psu's running the 2 machines with 3 gpu's each. I could swap out one of the GT260's for the 480 and put it (the 260) on the new board; when I have the change for the GTX480 that is.

This of course will delay the purchase of a new Mac Pro somewhat, maybe... but I couldn't wait any longer for the Mac Pro's...:eek:

Our team output is up again to just under 2 mil pts for the last week.

i'm not sure the 650 psu would be enough for a GTX480. i doubt it would be.

yeah lyzardking is really stepping it up lately!

well my third machine has to be down based on my output. so i'll be working on it this weekend

I keep on hearing these sick setups, I need photos now ;) Show me your f@h setup please :)

i would, but i'm not at my apartment now. i will be this weekend though

Thanks for posting, looks scary but I like it! You planning on getting GPUs for the AMD systems? How do AMD processors go at f@h? Imagine if you got some GT260s on the 4 AMD systems :eek:

AMD processors aren't near as good at folding as intel, mainly i7s.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

There is only one slot on those AMD machines that would hold a GT260, unfortunately. I may be retiring them soon anyway their output is meager at best. I will keep one of them for an admin machine using Ubuntu to watch over the other machines, maybe, if I can get things set up the way I want to.

I should have a new system (i7 980x) tomorrow, I will get it set up with Ubuntu to do bigadv units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.